What's new

What soap do you want to love, but just can't?

For me, it's Declaration Grooming Darkfall. I purchased last year (when it was still L&L) because the scent description is right up my alley. Dark and smokey, perfect for chilly nights. Off the puck it was almost perfection! To my nose it was a campfire surrounded by a thick forest.

The trees and moss underlying the smoke. Then, suddenly my nose was pinned down by a wild (musky) animal. Once lathered, smoke and musk was all I smelled. I topped it off with the aftershave and carried the smokey musk around with me all day, hoping I would be swayed. Nope, not for me, so I put it away for a while. Tried it again the next week, and the damn musk was there to stay. I just can't do that animalic , pungent musk. So I pif'ed the set to a co-worker (he loves it of course) Seeing that it will be coming out this season in the new Icarus base really has me pining to try it again, but I will hold strong, knowing sadly that it is just not meant for me.

I'm interested to hear if anyone else has a sad, you want to love it but just can't, soap story?!

Stirling...it just doesn’t work for me the way other soaps work, both ones considered top tier products, as well as commercial stuff (like Fine). I want to really like their shave soap, but I just don’t.

However...I use some of their other products and like them a lot, such as their balm, splash, bath soap, and deodorant.

Stirling...it just doesn’t work for me the way other soaps work, both ones considered top tier products, as well as commercial stuff (like Fine). I want to really like their shave soap, but I just don’t.

However...I use some of their other products and like them a lot, such as their balm, splash, bath soap, and deodorant.
+1. This perfectly sums up my experience with Stirling. I want to love their soaps, but there is something in the base that smells like a plastic action figure to me. But, not unlike yourself, I do find their bath soaps, shampoo bars and some if their aftershave splashes to be quite nice. Go figure...

For me it was Proraso White. Smells amazing, nice menthol, great lather but zero slickness. I got razor burn every time. I also have the preshave, which has felt burning hot on my skin after a previous rough shave. I might go back to it using filtered water, but that is way too much work!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Dapper Dragon Ice Wyrm. Rosemary and peppermint - scents I love! I picked up a sample and every shave left me disappointed. Not with the quality of the lather but just with the scent. I found both scents to be too weak and sort of just oddly blending together. Thus instead of a nice peppermint with a hint of rosemary like I hoped for, to me it smelled faintly like a stale peppermint that fell behind the couch for a few years. Not terribly unpleasant, but not enjoyable either.

First Canadian Shave Co's "Bay Rum and Lime". I like the scent, which has more lime and less clove than usual.
proxy.php

(Huh. They've done a make-over on the packaging since I've bought some.)
Unfortunately, I think it's the lime scent component that irritates my skin, especially on my neck. Their "Loretto Lime and Rosemary" is a bit harsher, but I don't care because I'm not crazy about the scent.
Their "Barbershop Taper Fade" is just fine, and it's my favourite scent ever. (but now it's called just "Barber Shop") - Ooh. I see that they now have a Barber Shop AS too.

It would be nice if I liked Williams. I can walk to the pharmacy and get it for $1.29. I won't, though.

Taylor of Old Bond Street Sandalwood. I like the scent so much but can't get a decent lather to get an enjoyable shave.

Chiseled Face Sherlock

I mean it performs well, but I am just not a fan of the smell. It reminds me too much of cheap cologne. Im sensitive to certain smells and I just cant get over that one. Will have to try a different from them at a later date.

I wish I loved MWF. I just can't ever get it to lather the way people talk about it. I absolutely love the smell, though.

I want it to be as good as people say, I really do!!

But while I can lather it, It just doesn’t preform for me anywhere near top tier soaps. I barely get “mid tier” performance from it.

First Canadian Shave Co's "Bay Rum and Lime". I like the scent, which has more lime and less clove than usual.
proxy.php

(Huh. They've done a make-over on the packaging since I've bought some.)
Unfortunately, I think it's the lime scent component that irritates my skin, especially on my neck. Their "Loretto Lime and Rosemary" is a bit harsher, but I don't care because I'm not crazy about the scent.
Their "Barbershop Taper Fade" is just fine, and it's my favourite scent ever. (but now it's called just "Barber Shop") - Ooh. I see that they now have a Barber Shop AS too.
FYI the new First Canadian Shave Co packaging came when new owners took over the brand last year. While the scent profiles remain the same, the soap formulation is quite different. I was a huge fan of the original formulation. The new one is very soft, almost like a cream. It performs very well but the lathering process is a bit awkward because I load directly from the tub.

As for the new splashes, they are phenomenal. Note that they have no alcohol.

Apologies for straying from the original topic!

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

For me it’s B&M Night Music. I tried to love it, but I just thought the scent was a little funky for my liking. I eventually PIFed it to a friend that actually enjoyed it, so at least I found a loving home for that particular soap.

Stirling Sandalwood. I get a burning sensation on my cheeks for several hours. Not really Stirling's fault, Sandalwood is a common allergen. Love the sweet, cinnamon-like scent, though.

Top Bottom