What's new

Plisson Haigh Mountain white #20

I am thinking of buying a HMW brush # 20. Because it is very expensive (750 euros), is there some review to read to get some information? Or if someone has it or knows it can give some advice?

I recommend doing some internet sleuthing here in the brush forum. You will find people's impressions on that size and HMW. Do searches on ben73 and drP in particular. This thread is old but whitebar's advice (Post #9) is very spot on about Plisson. Plisson - Worth the cost?

Myself, I happen to have a Size 20 2-band HMW and a Size 18 as well. The brushes perform excellently in creating lather. The high loft of the Plisson and the shape of the knot just really excel in lather generation. These are older brushes, and for the older brushes, especially if you get back to the 70s to 80s stuff is truly phenomenal.

What I like about mine is the horn material is just how I like it, and the shape is just classic shaving brush material to me. It functions, and the fingertip feel of the brushes is wonderful too. The lather generation of the brush is great, and i like the large knot feeling on the face. I particularly enjoy the painting motions with these. They're not meant to be scrubby or density when you use it. There's a Chubby for that. That is not to say that a Plisson is floppy, as for me it is not.

When it comes to recommending buying it or not, that's a harder proposition. They are not cheap, that is for certain. You could buy quite a few brushes for just the price of one HMW #20. If you can tolerate the price they are a quality brush and have been around for a long time for a reason. I would be much more inclined to buy if I can see individual pictures of the brushes before purchase new. I have no problems buying used, and as a result have gotten mine at easily half off and have been well satisfied as I've seen what I am getting before hand. If you're okay with used and can find one that size I would recommend it without a doubt.

I recommend doing some internet sleuthing here in the brush forum. You will find people's impressions on that size and HMW. Do searches on ben73 and drP in particular. This thread is old but whitebar's advice (Post #9) is very spot on about Plisson. Plisson - Worth the cost?

Myself, I happen to have a Size 20 2-band HMW and a Size 18 as well. The brushes perform excellently in creating lather. The high loft of the Plisson and the shape of the knot just really excel in lather generation. These are older brushes, and for the older brushes, especially if you get back to the 70s to 80s stuff is truly phenomenal.

What I like about mine is the horn material is just how I like it, and the shape is just classic shaving brush material to me. It functions, and the fingertip feel of the brushes is wonderful too. The lather generation of the brush is great, and i like the large knot feeling on the face. I particularly enjoy the painting motions with these. They're not meant to be scrubby or density when you use it. There's a Chubby for that. That is not to say that a Plisson is floppy, as for me it is not.

When it comes to recommending buying it or not, that's a harder proposition. They are not cheap, that is for certain. You could buy quite a few brushes for just the price of one HMW #20. If you can tolerate the price they are a quality brush and have been around for a long time for a reason. I would be much more inclined to buy if I can see individual pictures of the brushes before purchase new. I have no problems buying used, and as a result have gotten mine at easily half off and have been well satisfied as I've seen what I am getting before hand. If you're okay with used and can find one that size I would recommend it without a doubt.

Thank you!

IMG_3963.JPG

Plisson 20 on the left, Plisson 18 on the right

I thought maybe a photo would help. The right one looks like a 3-band, but it is a 2-band. I like to call it a 2.5 band. Looks like a 3-bander and splays a bit like a 3-bander, but it still has more backbone to it similar to a 2-band.

View attachment 908788

I thought maybe a photo would help. The right one looks like a 3-band, but it is a 2-band. I like to call it a 2.5 band. Looks like a 3-bander and splays a bit like a 3-bander, but it still has more backbone to it similar to a 2-band.

Congratulations on two classic brushes!! Thanks for the photo and comments!! :a14::a14:

View attachment 908788

Wow!! Fantastic brushes!! Congrats!!

I'm new at B&B so I hope this doesn't go against any rules but just to let you know, I bought me a Plisson HMW 20 about a month ago from Gents-Finest. A German vendor.

Gents Finest - Plisson Rasurkultur - Handmacher Herrenschuhe

The prices seemed decent. On top of that, they gave me 15% extra off after I emailed them asking if getting any sort of discount was possible.

The brush itself is simply decadent and a pleasure to use.

I'm a Thater fan and imo Plisson contrasts the German 2-bands beautifully.

Top Bottom