What's new

Back On The Pipe

Just as my thread title suggests, I am back to pipe smoking. To make a long story short, I have not smoked a pipe in over seven years. I bought a corn cob pipe back in my college days with cheap OTC tobacco and didn't care for it. It just tasted like cigarettes to me at the time. However, I was cleaning my basement last month and stumbled upon the old pipe. So I thought why not and give it a go again. I went to my local cigar shop and picked up a tin of this stuff called Night Cap by Dunhill (I know now that it is actually pretty good stuff and well liked) because I liked the label. Needless to say this experience was just like my first, it tasted bad and I thought how can anyone enjoy this.

Well I found a guy named Muttnchop Piper on YouTube and his videos have tremendously helped me understand pipe smoking. As you veterans have already guessed by now, I have been doing everything wrong the entire time. I have spent the last month practicing loading my pipe, lighting my pipe, using the breathe method, and cleaning my pipe. It has made a world of difference and I actually really enjoy this hobby. I even really like this Night Cap blend I have been smoking.

Now for the fun part! I got this in the mail today!
IMG_0578.JPG

I went ahead and got some aromatics and one non aromatic
IMG_0580.JPG

This is my new Peterson Killarney Red 408
IMG_0582.JPG

And this is my new Capri Gozzo 47

I do have one last question but what is everyone's opinion SPC plum pudding and plum pudding reserve? This sounds like it would be an awesome tobacco to smoke and I know that this is a very big YMMV kind of thing. But I am curious if there is a huge difference between the two or if one is really better than the other. Thanks in advance for your replies!

Nice haul! I am a noob so my opinion matters not, but I really enjoyed SPC Plum Pudding. I thought the flavor was fantastic. I have not tried the reserve so I can't weigh in on that.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
You're coming back in style! Nice!

+1 on the Plum Pudding. It's good stuff. I also have not tried the Reserve, but I've heard nothing but great reviews. I have some of that stuff that's getting close to 2 years old, so I might have to dip into it.

Nice haul! I am a noob so my opinion matters not, but I really enjoyed SPC Plum Pudding. I thought the flavor was fantastic. I have not tried the reserve so I can't weigh in on that.

Thanks for your opinion. I have a hard time trusting reviews from the sites that you can buy it from. I know that I can always get a good and fair opinion right here at B&B!

You're coming back in style! Nice!

+1 on the Plum Pudding. It's good stuff. I also have not tried the Reserve, but I've heard nothing but great reviews. I have some of that stuff that's getting close to 2 years old, so I might have to dip into it.

Thank you sir! I just saw both of those pipes at tobaccopipes.com and just had to have them. Thanks for your opinion on the plum pudding. It is next on my list of things to purchase. Also if you don't mind answering this for me, do you have to put your tobacco in jars to keep it fresh or can you just leave it in the tin?

Except for the Reserve being a bit sweeter, I didn’t detect any marked difference between the two. Then again, YMMV.

SPC Plum pudding is good stuff if you like full bodied rich latakia blends with some complexity. If in fact you did not enjoy Dunhill Night cap too much it may not be for you but I think its worth trying anything to see if it tickles your taste buds. I would certainly jar any tin that you open unless you can finish it in a week or two. I learned the hardway early on that an opened tin left around for a month or so can go dry on you. Correct moisture content in any blend is key to a good experience. Too wet or too dry will detract from a tobacco tasting as it should.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Also if you don't mind answering this for me, do you have to put your tobacco in jars to keep it fresh or can you just leave it in the tin?

@Razorfaust pretty much answered your question. Typically, I go ahead and put tobacco in a half-pint jar after I open the tin. I don't smoke all that much, so I would just as soon not have to worry about a tin drying out on me. I also tend to smoke at home, so it's no big deal to deal with the jar. If I figured that I would finish the tin within a week or two or I'm traveling, I might rather keep it in the tin (until I got home in the case of travel).

As for reviews, tobaccoreviews.com is a reasonably good place to get some reviews on different blends. Like any review site, you need to assess the reviewer, but I usually find the collective quality of reviews to be useful.

SPC Plum pudding is good stuff if you like full bodied rich latakia blends with some complexity. If in fact you did not enjoy Dunhill Night cap too much it may not be for you but I think its worth trying anything to see if it tickles your taste buds. I would certainly jar any tin that you open unless you can finish it in a week or two. I learned the hardway early on that an opened tin left around for a month or so can go dry on you. Correct moisture content in any blend is key to a good experience. Too wet or too dry will detract from a tobacco tasting as it should.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

To be honest I felt that Night Cap was mild and did not find it all that strong. I found it to be quite mellow and that's why I was curious about the SPC Plum Pudding. I just didn't want to order a tin and find that it was overpowering. But I guess if I don't end up liking it, I can always give it away.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
I hope someone gets it.

View attachment 908485

Maybe I do. Yes the former Mayor of Toronto the good did appear on stage in the Nutcracker. Not the Sugar Plum Fairy but folk loved him.

I talked to him a few times as he was the city council member for the area where we operated one facility. He was cut from a different cloth. If you left him a voice mail it would be he himself who responded and he did so, in my experience very rapidly. I don't think the man had ill will toward anybody. Coached high school football in a very tough area of the city.

Sadly, as we now know, he had serious addiction problems. He died from cancer, very young.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Maybe I do. Yes the former Mayor of Toronto the good did appear on stage in the Nutcracker. Not the Sugar Plum Fairy but folk loved him.

I talked to him a few times as he was the city council member for the area where we operated one facility. He was cut from a different cloth. If you left him a voice mail it would be he himself who responded and he did so, in my experience very rapidly. I don't think the man had ill will toward anybody. Coached high school football in a very tough area of the city.

Sadly, as we now know, he had serious addiction problems. He died from cancer, very young.
Yep, that stuff can bring down even the best people.

Well I finally broke down and ordered the SPC Plum Pudding Special Reserve. I got it today and I have to say I really enjoyed it! It was smoky, had a little spice, some sweetness, and overall had a really good flavor. The tin note was nice as well. I could smell the latakia for sure and then I could also get a somewhat sweet scent with a little dried fruit in there. If there isn't a big difference between this and the regular, I will be buying the regular in bulk for sure.

On another note, I have tried several other tobaccos in the last week and I am really disappointed in the aromatic blends that I got. The tin note on them is great and so is the room note but I don't think the taste is for me. They all seem to be really sour/tangy (if that makes any sense). So far I have enjoyed SPC Plum Pudding Special Reserve, Dunhill Night Cap, and G.L. Pease Maltese Flacon (this might be my favorite so far and another blend to hoard). I still have Cornell & Diehl Bijou, SPC Mississippi River, and Mac Baren HH Pure Virginia to still try this week.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
The tin note on them is great and so is the room note but I don't think the taste is for me.

That reminded me of the old guy at the pipe shop I went to nearly 30 years ago. I remember him grinning and saying "you smoke aromatics for other people. You smoke non-aromatics for yourself."

That reminded me of the old guy at the pipe shop I went to nearly 30 years ago. I remember him grinning and saying "you smoke aromatics for other people. You smoke non-aromatics for yourself."

That is such a true statement! I have really enjoyed the non-aromatic blends and have a feeling those are going to be my go to tobaccos.

The next time you are in a tobacco buying moos (tomorrrow maybe?), pick up a few tins of Escudo. It is plentiful in flavor. Age a few if you can. Aged Escudo will change your life for the better. Guaranteed.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Any blend you are not impressed with, jar it up and try it again in 6 months or a year before you discount it completely. Your technique will improve, your tastes may change and the tobacco may change for the better by aging, drying out, melding of flavors, etc. Few aros taste as well as their tin note smells. Everyone want's to start out with an aromatic, but many find the non aromatic blends most satisfying.

The next time you are in a tobacco buying moos (tomorrrow maybe?), pick up a few tins of Escudo. It is plentiful in flavor. Age a few if you can. Aged Escudo will change your life for the better. Guaranteed.

Escudo is definitely on my list and I will be buying it the next time I make an order. I tried the C&D Bijou a few days ago and it was awesome. I've had about four bowls of it and I bought three more tins of it to age.

Top Bottom