What's new

Any Additional Info on NEW Long Comb?

I have a new to me, New Long Comb with common bar. It doesn't have the patent #s that I have seen it is supposed to have. Can the different numbers narrow down the production year?

Left:
Pat. No. 1633739
Pat. No. 1639335
Center:
Pats. Pend.
Right:
Reissue Pat.
No. 17567
HPIM0317.JPG

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I have a couple of these razors that I have not tried yet as I find open combs to be a little harsh on my face. Let us know how you get on with it. I might just summon up the courage to have a go.

I have a couple of these razors that I have not tried yet as I find open combs to be a little harsh on my face. Let us know how you get on with it. I might just summon up the courage to have a go.

I'm not having any trouble shaving with it. It shaves smoother than the Single Ring Clone I had previously. I also shave with a Slim set on 5-7, as a frame of reference.

Some after May '32 when the second 18xxxxx patent was granted.
So my New LC is probably fairly early in production. After 14 Jan 1930, because it has the re-issue patent 17567. A good chance after 30 Jul 1930, because of patents pending. Not sure when they would have change the production to reflect either of the 21 July 1931 or the 17 May 1932 patents, but don't see them sitting around too long.

Thanks. Didn't even think to look at when the patents were filed/issued.

The NEW LC was my first ‘30’s era razor. I used it last week. For me, i always felt the longer comb to feel better than the short comb version. Both work well.

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
For me, the long combs are the perfect combination of smoothness and efficiency.

The long comb Goodwills and RFBs are the razors I reach for the most, especially when I need a no drama, no risk of cut kind of shave.

So my New LC is probably fairly early in production. After 14 Jan 1930, because it has the re-issue patent 17567. A good chance after 30 Jul 1930, because of patents pending. Not sure when they would have change the production to reflect either of the 21 July 1931 or the 17 May 1932 patents, but don't see them sitting around too long.

Thanks. Didn't even think to look at when the patents were filed/issued.

While the patents were "filed" in 1930, I don't think they "stamped" any razors with patents until May of 1932.

The NEW LC was my first ‘30’s era razor. I used it last week. For me, i always felt the longer comb to feel better than the short comb version. Both work well.

For me, the long combs are the perfect combination of smoothness and efficiency.

The long comb Goodwills and RFBs are the razors I reach for the most, especially when I need a no drama, no risk of cut kind of shave.

I've shaved with it one shave and one additional ATG pass(different shave) so far. I like it more than my previous Single Ring clone (swapped for the New). It's on par with my Slim and my Maggard's slant. I don't have enough experience on it or the slant to judge further than that.

While the patents were "filed" in 1930, I don't think they stamped any razors until May of 1932.

Agreed, and since my razor has the previous patent numbers and the revised patent, I am looking at a production period of after 14 Jan 1930, and ending around May 1932, depending upon when they actually changed to using the new patent numbers.

Agreed, and since my razor has the previous patent numbers and the revised patent, I am looking at a production period of after 14 Jan 1930, and ending around May 1932, depending upon when they actually changed to using the new patent numbers.

I am not an expert, but I have thought for several years that any blade guard with the Reissue Pat. No. 17567 was stamped sometime after mid-1932, and when I look at yours I think I see a wider opening for the handle, which did occur when Gillette widened the handle end from 8mm to 8.5mm. Still later that opening might have been wider even more as the result of tolerance-wear after a couple of years of stamping, but yours does not look to have that wear. If I were to guess I would place yours very shortly after mid-32.

Tom

I am not an expert, but I have thought for several years that any blade guard with the Reissue Pat. No. 17567 was stamped sometime after mid-1932, and when I look at yours I think I see a wider opening for the handle, which did occur when Gillette widened the handle end from 8mm to 8.5mm. Still later that opening might have been wider even more as the result of tolerance-wear after a couple of years of stamping, but yours does not look to have that wear. If I were to guess I would place yours very shortly after mid-32.

Tom

Thanks for helping me narrow it down. It's nice knowing more about a razor I am enjoying.

Nice razor!! Enjoy!! :a14::a14:

Thanks, I am enjoying it!

Top Bottom