What's new

Scored a New Standard, got questions

I scored this new standard from a antique store in Oskaloosa Iowa last week for $20. I cant find any serial number on it, do you guys know where to look? Also how about cleaning? any special care instructions or can i hit this with CLR?

2018-08-22 11.48.38.jpg

2018-08-22 11.48.47.jpg

2018-08-22 12.25.10.jpg

2018-08-22 12.25.37.jpg

R

romsitsa

Not all New improveds had serials, there was a break between October 1927 and August 1928. The number, if it has one, is on the top of the base plate.
It doesn't need crl, use some dish washing liquid, hot water and any disinfectant you prefer. If you wish to get rid of the tarnish, put some aluminum foil in a container put the razor on top. Sprinkle a pack of baking soda onto the razor and pour enough boiling water on it to cover the razor (the soda will foam a bit). Leave the razor in it till the water cools down.
Dry the razor and polish it with some silver polish.
You found a very nice razor.

Adam

Beautiful razor congrats!

I would leave the patina if It was mine, I love the look of antique silver.

FWIW New Standard is the name of a set, not a razor,, the razor is identical to that in the Bostonian, Richwood etc

Oh wow thanks for the reply guys. This thing will go great sitting next to my black rhodium plated slim... I love dark razors but will probably give it a through cleaning with romsitsas instructions... There is some green stuff on the knurling i have to get off. It can petina again after... How do you think this would do for a daily shaver? Im mostly worried about wearing down the silver plate...

It would be a fine daily shaver. You won't wear the silver plate unless you over polish it
Oh wow thanks for the reply guys. This thing will go great sitting next to my black rhodium plated slim... I love dark razors but will probably give it a through cleaning with romsitsas instructions... There is some green stuff on the knurling i have to get off. It can petina again after... How do you think this would do for a daily shaver? Im mostly worried about wearing down the silver plate...

It would be a fine daily shaver. You won't wear the silver plate unless you over polish it

Completely agree here. The Gillette New Improved is my absolute favorite razor and is a great daily shaver. I wouldn't worry about the plating, its already approaching 100 years old at this point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On deck for tomorrow.
Completely agree here. The Gillette New Improved is my absolute favorite razor and is a great daily shaver. I wouldn't worry about the plating, its already approaching 100 years old at this point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
proxy.php

That is a sweet piece you have there jmudrick... I found the patent date stamp on the base, but still no serial. Looks great with my slim tho, ill try to preserve the tarnish i think if it looks good with a basic cleaning...
20180823_002613.jpg

It cleaned up pretty good with just dish soap and a toothbrush, but there are still some green spots hiding out in the knurling. Anyone know how to get those without using the nuclear option?
20180823_013516.jpg
20180823_013508.jpg

R

romsitsa

Hello,

you can loosen the green patina with a soak in boiling water. The silver plating is massive, it won't further wear down with "normal" use.
As a shaver it's one of the best open combs, imho.
If you get rid of the black patina it will develop again in a few years.

Adam

Well, I shaved with the new standard this morning, and i have to say its probably one of the smoothest razors I own and feels great in the hand. However it clogged. pretty bad... This would be fine for a daily shaver but right now I am not a daily shaver and I have a beard. I just use an old type OC to trim up my face about once or twice per week, and I don't see it being replaced by the new standard at the moment. I've decided to go all out with cleaning the razor and I will let it re-tarnish...

Attachments

• 20180823_125539.jpg
    20180823_125539.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Re
Well, I shaved with the new standard this morning, and i have to say its probably one of the smoothest razors I own and feels great in the hand. However it clogged. pretty bad... This would be fine for a daily shaver but right now I am not a daily shaver and I have a beard. I just use an old type OC to trim up my face about once or twice per week, and I don't see it being replaced by the new standard at the moment. I've decided to go all out with cleaning the razor and I will let it re-tarnish...
Retarnish?

I like dark razors, and the natural look of tarnished silver is pretty. I will let it sit for a while and get dark again...

Top Bottom