What's new

Turns out milder is better for me

Kept hunting for the perfect razor for me and was thinking aggressive was the way to go. Picked up a Mamba and tossed in a Polsilver SI. Smooth efficient and mild. Great daily driver with no irritation! Cheap and well made.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Kept hunting for the perfect razor for me and was thinking aggressive was the way to go. Picked up a Mamba and tossed in a Polsilver SI. Smooth efficient and mild. Great daily driver with no irritation! Cheap and well made.

One of my favorite razors is also one of the mildest I own. A made in England Gillette Old Type clone.

IMG_2648.jpg

It feels identical to my post war Gillette Tech, but it has an OC so its slightly more efficient.

Easy and quick shave at 3 passes and one clean up and the post shave feel with it has always been that "I dont feel like I've shaved" feeling.

The BBS finish doesnt last quite as long as when I use some other razors, but the comfort and ease of use is hard to argue with.

Same here, but it took an adjustable to demonstrate that to me convincingly. In general, I find the more aggressive designs require a feather-light touch, which requires more care and attention. I guess the plus side for exacting shavers is that these razors can be more sensitive and responsive to slight changes in pressure and angle. I find the milder designs are much less sensitive and demanding. I can apply a little more pressure, or better yet, use a heavier razor that applies more constant pressure and is less sensitive to twitches or slips of my sleepy fingers. I do find it's more important that a heavy razor have the right balance and not be head or handle heavy, but that caveat aside, a heavy, mild razor is the easiest to use. For me, a heavy, aggressive razor is a recipe for nasty, deep cuts, though it may provide the closest shaves most easily if I am ultra-careful, and, most importantly, fully awake. Of course, all that is just my non-expert experience. Congratulations on your find, I may try one too.

Last edited:
Great razor by many. Glad you like it.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I can get an enjoyable shave with a shavette, a straight, and a Rolls Razor, all of which are exposed blade, with no comb or cap - yet when it comes to safety razors, I seem to prefer the milder ones.

I'll chime in....a Mamba with a feather is great for me too, as is a slim on 3. When I feel cocky I break out a Gem MMOC.....this is great for a couple of days but leaves me beat up after that . There is beauty (and less irritation) in these mild razors and settings.

I get a very good shave with my VDH, normally a BBS on first or second shave, and with a couple of blades a BBS on the shave after that. I get more very good shaves with my Slim turned up to 5 - 7. Haven't tried higher yet. So not so mild for me. I just do 3 passes. No touch-ups.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
Mild razors are good for me too. I'll take a comfy DFS over a BBS with irritation any day. The Mamba is a great razor. The game changer is a little better for me though.

Mild razors are the ticket for me too. Ball end tech, feather as d2, and the karve are my favorites. I love being able to shave without much thought and never cutting myself. They require a sharp blade though. I like personna blue, Gillette silver blue, and feather blades.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I much prefer mild razors. I get really great shaves from a Gillette Tech or a Super speed. My Merkur 34C is brilliant. If I use a Gillette Adjustable setting 3 is about my limit. I tried setting 4 once but I found the shave to be very uncomfortable. As always YMMV.

I much prefer mild razors. I get really great shaves from a Gillette Tech or a Super speed. My Merkur 34C is brilliant. If I use a Gillette Adjustable setting 3 is about my limit. I tried setting 4 once but I found the shave to be very uncomfortable. As always YMMV.
Agree, and for me the 34C is the mildest of those.

I’m not sure mild is what I prefer so much as small blade gap. My Ball End Old Type, Goodwill #164, NEW SC, and ATT Atlas M1 are all excellent for me. I find the NEW SC the most aggressive of the batch but with a light touch it is not too aggressive.

All you fellows who prefer milder razors, I wonder if you will be saying that when you are older than say 60, and you have tough, coarse "old man whiskers?

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Lately I like to go with mild razor one day and then a mid range the next and repeat the process. It seems easier and healthier on the skin for this daily shaver.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
All you fellows who prefer milder razors, I wonder if you will be saying that when you are older than say 60, and you have tough, coarse "old man whiskers?

I expect I will do. The blade still cuts at skin level in my mild razors. With that in mind, I don't expect coarser whiskers to cut less close, or any less efficiently.

Join the club! :a29:

For me the best shaves result from the combination of a mild/moderate razor with a sharp, smooth blade!

I'm definitely a mild razor guy too, since I shave every day. Mamba turned out to be too inefficient for me on the face albeit the head shaves were outstanding (polar opposite of the GC haha) so I rotate my ASD2 & Calypso R1 now.

In the process of selling all my other razors, after all why keep them around if only used sparingly?

Top Bottom