What's new

In praise of Witch Hazel

I have been splashing on T.N.Dickinson's Witch Hazel after every shave for quite a while now and this stuff is verging on the miraculous. I have had persistent red patches of skin related to old scarring (I mean decades old) that used to flare up after every shave. But the Witch Hazel soothed them down and then cleared them up. I still have the scarring but it is barely noticeable now that the redness has gone. An excellent product!

I have cut both my Pinaud and Brut AS with generic witch hazel. Totally brings them to the next level on skin feel and skin food!

I am definitely a fan of Witch Hazel in all of it's forms--especially Thayers. I don't think there is anything better for your skin after a shave.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
A generic WH can be OK, too. Some WH can be pricy.

Great alternative to alky-based AS' and sometimes greasy balms.

I know my grandfather used WH; one of the only bits of family shaving lore passed along. Dad thought "it did nothing," he was wrong.

AA

I've been using T. N. Dickinson's Witch Hazel for a while. I've recently have started adding Zum&Go Menthol Bath salts and eucalyptus EO to it. I definitely like it either way!

Another WH fan. I use a concoction that I found on this forum of WH mixed with essential oils:

1 bottle of WH (240ml)
Add 5 or 6 drops Tea Tree essential oil
Add 10 drops Lavender essential Oil
Add 10 drops Peppermint essential Oil

Give it a good shake and shake every time before use, as the oils tend to separate.

Love the stuff. Hats off to others members that posted this great idea.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
In Chateau Ouch, it’s the only product that gets used every day.

I first started using witch hazel decades ago when I had acne as a teenager. Wiping my face with a cotton pad dipped in witch hazel definitely helped. After I outgrew the acne phase, I figured I did not need to use witch hazel any more.

When I took up shaving with a straight razor, I reintroduced witch hazel into my shaving routine. I use either Dickinson's original or the generic stuff, not the brand with scents and additives. I now wonder why I stopped using it for so many years.

I have sensitive skin, so alcohol based aftershaves tend to burn. The witch hazel has just enough sting to let me know whether I got a great shave, or just a mediocre one.

Also a witch hazel fan here, i just use a generic brand from the chemist, i then mix it 2 parts WH with 1 part Aloe Vera gel and a few drops of tea tree oil. Great after shave balm.

A question for all WH users. Are y’all referring to plain ole WH like in the pic or something else? Is this as good as any other WH or is there a difference? Thanks in advance.
21D5D5A7-F6AA-4266-92E9-1AD9BBB50C26.jpeg

A question for all WH users. Are y’all referring to plain ole WH like in the pic or something else? Is this as good as any other WH or is there a difference? Thanks in advance.
View attachment 902605
The Thayer's witch hazel comes in a non-alcohol form, but pretty much all other commercial witch hazels are no different than the generic other than fancy packaging. I've actually paid the big bucks for a bottle of home brewed witch hazel. The astringent feeling was the same, but the smell was 100% better.

Top Bottom