What's new

Custom Shaving Scuttle.

My new custom scuttle arrived today from Dirty Bird Pottery. I already had the large one that she makes but I wanted one even larger. This one is 5 inches in diameter and is 4 inches deep. She was more than glad to build me a custom one.

A663B901-D037-4965-96B3-F4C7FEC9EE33.jpeg
BB1A72D5-8697-4331-B094-0BCB23F19B35.jpeg
43BC0ACA-058B-4F86-8C4C-D469E70CD0C9.jpeg
810D5163-3CBF-4D46-9067-ED079C92309B.jpeg

Beautiful bowls. How do you use the brush scuttle?
Thanks man. To use the brush scuttle you simply partially fill in the inner and outer bowl with hot water and then sit the inner bowl into the outer bowl. Then place your brush in the inner bowl to soak.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Very nice scuttles, I do not use scuttles as I face lather but these could just sway me. There is something about pottery that is taking my fancy as I get older.

Very nice scuttles, I do not use scuttles as I face lather but these could just sway me. There is something about pottery that is taking my fancy as I get older.
Thank you brother. I’m kind of in the same boat, I ownly recently began using scuttles myself. But now that I have, there is no turning back. I live on the Gulf coast and it’s hot here 90% of the year. I use the scuttles more for an ice water shave than I do for hot lather.
Again, thanks for the kind words my friend.

Thank you brother. I’m kind of in the same boat, I ownly recently began using scuttles myself. But now that I have, there is no turning back. I live on the Gulf coast and it’s hot here 90% of the year. I use the scuttles more for an ice water shave than I do for hot lather.
Again, thanks for the kind words my friend.
Same here bro. I'm looking for a cold water scuttle right now. Thinking I'll fill it the night before and stick it in the fridge.

Same here bro. I'm looking for a cold water scuttle right now. Thinking I'll fill it the night before and stick it in the fridge.
I do something similar at times. I fill the outer bowl with water and sit it in the fridge. Then when ready to use I drop ice cubes into the chilled water.
Other times I just fill the outer bowl with cool tap water and ice and go for it. It works good using either method.
In no way am I affiliated with Dirty Bird Pottery. However if you are looking for a great scuttle, I use and highly recommend giving theirs a look. I have been completely satisfied with all their products.

These pictures look really nice! I've enjoyed a couple that I bought from Sarah Bonnyman Pottery a couple of years. It's summer in Phoenix now, so I haven't been warming one up lately. Had not occurred to me to chill one off. Would that affect the shave by closing your pores with cold lather? Just wondering...

These pictures look really nice! I've enjoyed a couple that I bought from Sarah Bonnyman Pottery a couple of years. It's summer in Phoenix now, so I haven't been warming one up lately. Had not occurred to me to chill one off. Would that affect the shave by closing your pores with cold lather? Just wondering...
In my experience it does not. However I do not have sensitive skin at all. In fact I’m just the opposite. I can get away with shaving with dull or cheap razors, poor lather or cream etc, etc. I can even shave across the grain on the first pass with no issue at all. I mention this because your skin may be different than mine and as a result you may have issues using cold water.
But for me the cold water is not a problem at all. Down here in the year around heat it actually beats a hot shave in my book. With all that said, maybe others can offer their thoughts on their experience with cold water as well. But again, zero issues for me.

Top Bottom