What's new

Blackbird vs dart?

I've really been wanting a blackland blackbird, but there's also the dart. Which one to go with? Anyone have any experience with either?

I have the original Kickstarter Blackbird SB and a more recent Blackbird OC, I have 4 shaves in with the Dart. All 3 are well made and have perfect blade reveal. My blackbirds are the original black oxide so finish is different. All 3 have blade feel but are smooth to shave with, I use a steep angle about 25 - 30 degrees handle to the face. I think the original SB is the most efficient of the 3 with OC next then the Dart but the difference is minimal to me. If you go by price the Dart is the best bang for your buck, if you like a polished look then I’d go for a blackbird as the Dart has machine marks, which is fine fore me, but many do not like that look. I prefer aggressive razors so these are right up my alley, as always YMMV and with the Dart reviews that seems to be truer than ever.

I have the original Kickstarter Blackbird SB and a more recent Blackbird OC, I have 4 shaves in with the Dart. All 3 are well made and have perfect blade reveal. My blackbirds are the original black oxide so finish is different. All 3 have blade feel but are smooth to shave with, I use a steep angle about 25 - 30 degrees handle to the face. I think the original SB is the most efficient of the 3 with OC next then the Dart but the difference is minimal to me. If you go by price the Dart is the best bang for your buck, if you like a polished look then I’d go for a blackbird as the Dart has machine marks, which is fine fore me, but many do not like that look. I prefer aggressive razors so these are right up my alley, as always YMMV and with the Dart reviews that seems to be truer than ever.
Thank you, have been leaving towards blackbird.

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
The Dart is a very YMMV razor. I too like aggressive razors from time to time, I use straights about half the time and one of my favorite DEs is a Fatip Piccolo. The Dart just likes to cut me unless I shave so carefully and slowly that I’m treating it like a straight razor, except I almost feel I can be less careful with a straight. A few other people have mentioned it being aggressive while others find it very smooth and mild. I feel I may actually prefer a Blackbird as I don’t recall people calling it unforgiving in reviews but I think I’m probably going to return my Dart for a Sabre for another SE experience first.

The Dart is a very YMMV razor. I too like aggressive razors from time to time, I use straights about half the time and one of my favorite DEs is a Fatip Piccolo. The Dart just likes to cut me unless I shave so carefully and slowly that I’m treating it like a straight razor, except I almost feel I can be less careful with a straight. A few other people have mentioned it being aggressive while others find it very smooth and mild. I feel I may actually prefer a Blackbird as I don’t recall people calling it unforgiving in reviews but I think I’m probably going to return my Dart for a Sabre for another SE experience first.

Curious, what blade are you using with the Dart?
I own the Blackbird OC and love it. It is aggressive but handles like a dream. I found that there was to much chatter and rough with the provided Persona Blues. I put in a Feather and found the perfect setup. In the past Feather Blades were just an easy method for donating blood.
The Blackbird OC loves a sharp blade. At least on my face. I have a tough beard but sensitive skin. So far I have been able to go three days in a row before my face asks for a break. I just started a Fixed four monthly rotation for the balance of 2018, with the BB OC and will see how it goes. That said the Blackbird begs for 2-3 days of growth and can easily give BBS in two to two and a half passes.

I am looking for something slightly milder. After consulting with Shane at Blackland, and after much consideration, I ordered both a Dart and a Blackbird SB to find a razor that will work as a daily shaver to carry me for the week.
I am suffering from Blackland Fever as many others are.

I will be reporting on those for September and October. If you might be inclined to follow my reporting, click on this link.
Fixed Monthly Rotations for the balance of 2018

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
I own the Blackbird OC and love it. It is aggressive but handles like a dream. I found that there was to much chatter and rough with the provided Persona Blues. I put in a Feather and found the perfect setup. In the past Feather Blades were just an easy method for donating blood.
The Blackbird OC loves a sharp blade. At least on my face. I have a tough beard but sensitive skin. So far I have been able to go three days in a row before my face asks for a break. I just started a Fixed four monthly rotation for the balance of 2018, with the BB OC and will see how it goes. That said the Blackbird begs for 2-3 days of growth and can easily give BBS in two to two and a half passes.

I am looking for something slightly milder. After consulting with Shane at Blackland, and after much consideration, I ordered both a Dart and a Blackbird SB to find a razor that will work as a daily shaver to carry me for the week.

I will be reporting on those for September and October. If you might be inclined to follow my reporting, click on this link.

I first used the included Lab Blue blades to try out the Dart but got one of the worst shaves of my life with it. I actually love Personna Lab Blues as well so this surprised me. The next 2 shaves I went with one of my 2 favorite and most used blades and tried the Gillette Silver Blue. First shave was good but I had to be extremely slow with it. Third shave I went about my normal Shaving speed and just wasn’t happy with the results. Just for my face the razor was very unforgiving. I generally prefer to use my Razors with a more cap riding angle which did not work well with the Dart for me and using it at a steeper angle makes the blade shave at a wider angle than I prefer. So I returned it and ordered a Sabre which should shave more at the angle I like.

Thank you, I'm in the same boat with a tough beard and sensitive skin (neck anyway) so I'm happy you enjoy it. Just got an e mail for 10% off and am going for it.

I first used the included Lab Blue blades to try out the Dart but got one of the worst shaves of my life with it. I actually love Personna Lab Blues as well so this surprised me. The next 2 shaves I went with one of my 2 favorite and most used blades and tried the Gillette Silver Blue. First shave was good but I had to be extremely slow with it. Third shave I went about my normal Shaving speed and just wasn’t happy with the results. Just for my face the razor was very unforgiving. I generally prefer to use my Razors with a more cap riding angle which did not work well with the Dart for me and using it at a steeper angle makes the blade shave at a wider angle than I prefer. So I returned it and ordered a Sabre which should shave more at the angle I like.

Please keep me posted. I have been intrigued by the Sabre too. I just never used an SE before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you, I'm in the same boat with a tough beard and sensitive skin (neck anyway) so I'm happy you enjoy it. Just got an e mail for 10% off and am going for it.

I saw that email too. Tempted to get a Sabre with it.
Just remember to find the blade that works with your face with the Blackbird. For me it was the Feather. A blade that in the past was to sharp for me. A Kia was ok and the Persona not at all.

I saw that email too. Tempted to get a Sabre with it.
Just remember to find the blade that works with your face with the Blackbird. For me it was the Feather. A blade that in the past was to sharp for me. A Kia was ok and the Persona not at all.

I haven't had luck with the personna's. Silver blues have been the best so far followed by the 7 o'clock super stainless. The jury is still out on kai but in my rockwell 6c they are ok. Everything else I get pulling and tugging from regardless of face prep or angle. That I've tried anyway. Have feathers but haven't used them yet, wanted to today but important stuff to do today and didn't want to risk a razor burnt neck.

I haven't had luck with the personna's. Silver blues have been the best so far followed by the 7 o'clock super stainless. The jury is still out on kai but in my rockwell 6c they are ok. Everything else I get pulling and tugging from regardless of face prep or angle. That I've tried anyway. Have feathers but haven't used them yet, wanted to today but important stuff to do today and didn't want to risk a razor burnt neck.

I find that any variable can change the set up you are using.

Finding the right blade/razor combo that works with your personal facetrometry.

Other things that could affect the fineness of your shave are the soap brush and razor combination. Might as well add in the number of days growth.

With your Rockwell 6C i would stick with just the Silver Blues then. Actually do you always uses the same plate? I wonder if you change plates one of the other blades might work better.

And when you get that Blackbird you’ll need to find the right blade that complements it for you.

Experiment and keep us posted.

Last edited:
Do you use the cork trick with your feathers?

Is that anything like the Banana in the Tailpipe trick?

No, I don't use a cork to smooth out a blade. That would be putting too much effort into the task. Honestly, with the Blackbird, I find these Feathers are pretty smooth through three shaves. And if I am getting 3-5 shaves a blade I am pretty happy. Even if I can get more shaves. I am not going to risk comfort to eek out one extra shave.

I find that any variable can change the set up you are using.

Finding the right blade/razor combo that works with your personal facetrometry.

Other things that could affect the fineness of your shave are the soap brush and razor combination. Might as well add in the number of days growth.

With your Rockwell 6C i would stick with just the Silver Blues then. Actually do you always uses the same plate? I wonder if you change plates one of the other blades might work better.

And when you get that Blackbird you’ll need to find the right blade that complements it for you.

Experiment and keep us posted.

I've tried all the plates except 6. 3 seems you be the sweet spot for me with it.

Top Bottom