What's new

'Obscure' Motion Picture Favorites

Two come to mind. If you can find A Dream of Passion, from 1977(?) with Melina Mercuri and Ellen Burstyn, watch it. And tell me where you found it. It has vanished from the earth.

The other is really not for everybody. I bought the Criterion blu ray not long ago, but haven’t watched the whole film in years: Liliana Cavani’s The Night Porter.

Spoorloos (The US release was called The Vanishing.)

A few tips:
1. Make sure you see the 1988 Dutch/French original and not the Hollywood remake.
2. Do not read any spoilers before you watch.
3. Stick with it. This film seems like it's not going anywhere... and then it does.

Spoorloos (The US release was called The Vanishing.)

A few tips:
1. Make sure you see the 1988 Dutch/French original and not the Hollywood remake.
2. Do not read any spoilers before you watch.
3. Stick with it. This film seems like it's not going anywhere... and then it does.

Never saw the remake but Spoorloos was absolutely chilling.
dave

Another Dutch one, English title was "Broken Mirrors", parallel stories of a serial killer and a brothel, extremely intense for the times when i saw it, many in the audience left, not quite what they were expecting.

dave

^Your welcome, i've no experience using Netflix and Netflix Canada is different then the USA set up so no one in the house could even help me out there. Glad the link was a start!
dave

"The Coca-Cola Kid" 1985, Australian rom-com
A marketing exec for Coca-Cola is sent to Australia to find out why there is absolutely no Coca-Cola company sales in one small region.
proxy.php

"The Coca-Cola Kid" 1985, Australian rom-com
A marketing exec for Coca-Cola is sent to Australia to find out why there is absolutely no Coca-Cola company sales in one small region.
proxy.php

And Greta Scacchi is... sigh... reason enough to watch it.
dave

And Eric Roberts with Mickey Rourke

Pope of Greenwich Village, remember going to see this a couple times, wonder how it's held up?
dave

A number by Hal Hartley i got a kick out of...

The Unbelievable Truth 1989
Simple Men 1992
Henry Fool 1997
dave

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Tall In The Saddle ... staring a very young John Wayne.

It's a really good B-movie, that basically nails the genre to perfection: the kind of crank-em-out western that Wayne starred in dozens of times before becoming a bona fide star, but this one is given better production values &c ... great fun.

I absolutely love the gambling scene ...

Then he meets the cheating gambler's sister the next morning ...

I love that "whiskey"

... and then this drunk guy insists on a gun duel with The Duke.

And Eric Roberts with Mickey Rourke

Pope of Greenwich Village, remember going to see this a couple times, wonder how it's held up?
dave

I saw it again not long ago, and I think it holds up well.
The histrionics of Roberts are a negative, but everybody else is great.
Burt Young is very funny as "The Bedbug" and he's just one of any number of great character actors...most notably Geraldine Page as Mrs. Ritter.

for my birthday a couple years back, my brother bought me the Bud Boetticher box set. This is a fine set with 5 westerns all starring Randolph Scott. It's a shame it doesn't include 7 Men From Now, the best of the Boetticher/Scott collaborations, but the movies it has are fine examples of the "adult western" popular in the 1950's. Randolph Scott was a very good western star who went out on a very high note with Peckinpah's Ride The High Country.

Top Bottom