What's new

Tell me of your best splaying badgers!

I think I've noticed that my preference in a brush is for more splay & less backbone & less scrub.

I sometimes get irritation from "brush burn" trying to make it splay like I want. I would much rather have one that splays easily. Which badger (preferably Silvertip) would you recommend for excellent splay & less backbone?

Of my 30 or so badgers there are two that really stand out to me with the criteria of more splay and less scrub. I really like the Kent BK8 and the Da Vinci 290. Both are very soft tipped with not so much backbone, while being very soft on the face with very high quality hair. The Da Vinci 290 has higher loft than many 25mm brushes, yet it is fairly dense but definitely no scrub or scritch. On a lower budget, I would recommend the Yaqi HMW, but I have read that there is a lot of variation which could be understandable at this price range. Mine is extremely soft and pleasant to use, but others have said theirs had more scritch. This is do to the quality of hair stacking and shape trimming. One of the costs of higher priced brushes is the time spent perfectly stacking, shaping, and tying that yields such high end brushes.

I think I've noticed that my preference in a brush is for more splay & less backbone & less scrub.

I sometimes get irritation from "brush burn" trying to make it splay like I want. I would much rather have one that splays easily. Which badger (preferably Silvertip) would you recommend for excellent splay & less backbone?

Father, I would highly recommend a Kent silvertip!
You would be blessed with any of their badgers!

Option, if you want to be more reformational, is to try a synthetic brush!!

kent brushes trio.jpg

What do you mean by getting irritation from trying to make the brush splay more? Ideally you want to put the least amount of pressure on the hair in painting motions to get the lather on. It sounds like you push in with the brush on your face to get more face feel / massaging from the hair? I just wanted to clarify that as it could help in what would be best.

A while back I was on Ali Express looking at Yaqi brushes and purchased a silvertip for 28 bucks thinking it was Yaqi, but it wasn't (i didn't pay close enough attention). Anyway its a brand i've never heard of called dscosmetic.

I really like the brush and the galaxy resin handle is beautiful. Took 5-6 shaves to break in, but the knot feels and splays exactly as you described.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wish I could help! However, my badger preference is more backbone and a bit of ‘scratch.’ YMMV is the rule!

Simpson's super is quite soft and scritch free. Their larger knots are even luxurious. Go easy on the "splay" though, too much splay will ruin any brush in short order.

I can also recommend Da Vinci or YaQi HMW brushes. Also, any of the Simpsons Best except the chubby line.

A while back I was on Ali Express looking at Yaqi brushes and purchased a silvertip for 28 bucks thinking it was Yaqi, but it wasn't (i didn't pay close enough attention). Anyway its a brand i've never heard of called dscosmetic.

I really like the brush and the galaxy resin handle is beautiful. Took 5-6 shaves to break in, but the knot feels and splays exactly as you described.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Could you post a pic? I saw the 24mm Silvertip by them that has me interested.
2018-08-02 07.37.05.png
it's a beautiful looking brush.

Could you post a pic? I saw the 24mm Silvertip by them that has me interested.
View attachment 901616 it's a beautiful looking brush.

I can post a pic when I get home if you need one, but the one I purchased is still available on Ali Express. It's called Galaxy-P2. It's 26mm Silvertip and looks just like the picture there, except it has a nice bloom from use.

What do you mean by getting irritation from trying to make the brush splay more? Ideally you want to put the least amount of pressure on the hair in painting motions to get the lather on. It sounds like you push in with the brush on your face to get more face feel / massaging from the hair? I just wanted to clarify that as it could help in what would be best.

Hogwash!! This is the perfect example of bowl latherers V. face latherers. I f i was going to use the least amount of pressure and only painting motions I might as well just use canned goo. I like a good amount of backbone in my brushes and a lot of scrub. I really get in their and build the lather on my face while scrubbing away. Don't believe this lie. I have over 50 brushes and have never ruined a brush by using circular motions or by scrubbing with plenty of pressure.

Hogwash!! This is the perfect example of bowl latherers V. face latherers. I f i was going to use the least amount of pressure and only painting motions I might as well just use canned goo. I like a good amount of backbone in my brushes and a lot of scrub. I really get in their and build the lather on my face while scrubbing away. Don't believe this lie. I have over 50 brushes and have never ruined a brush by using circular motions or by scrubbing with plenty of pressure.

I would equally call hogwash. I've seen brushes that have been abused, and they were in the exact manner of which manufacturers warn will happen about pushing excessive and heavy circular motions. To me I would hate to see someone damage their brush not realizing that manufacturers advise against it, and perhaps have not seen people post examples of such.

If you noticed in my previous post I mentioned a key word there. Ideally. I use some circular motions in my brushes. I mean, heck, you need to use a circular motion to lather with. If that's how you like to use your brushes, that's fine. Use them that way. Realistically and logically your brushes will wear out faster doing that than someone who uses painting motions mainly as a fiber can only take so much exposure, pressure, etc. How soon will that brush die? Hard to say. Unlikely you'll have any brushes dying anytime soon if you're regularly using all of your 50 brush collection.

Even under the harsh conditions I've heard countless stories of how people kept their brush in the cup lather and all and, 'I got a good 10 years out of that brush using it everyday like that!' That's great. I've heard reports of where people actually rinsed the brush out afterwards, kept it in an open space, and reports of using their brush for 30 years before buying a new one, and that was only because they wanted a new brush. Not that they particularly needed it. I feel keeping the brush clean of lather and somewhere it can evaporate and breathe will do far more for the longevity of the brush.

Everything will go belly up eventually, and you might as well enjoy what you have while you use it. As for me, I'm content with how I use my brushes, but I would still advise caution to individuals of being overly aggressive with a brush from what I've seen of other people's misfortunes that they've posted with brushes, what I've seen from old vintage brushes, and from what the manufacturers have to say on the matter.

If you are looking for a soft badger brush with plenty of splay and not a lot of backbone, I highly recommend the Parker silvertip badger.

https://www.amazon.com/Parker-Safet...&sr=1-1-spons&keywords=parker+silvertip&psc=1

The knot is a true three-band silvertip. It has a great face feel. It will cover your entire cheek when when pressed against the face. I is my favorite brush when lathering creams, but prefer a brush with more backbone when trying to load hard soaps.

The brush is available with a variety of handles, but I love the faux horn. It is beautiful, easy to hold, and has substantial weight.

If your face is sensitive and becomes irritated when you lather, I suggest bowl lathering and then paint the lather onto your face. I have very sensitive skin due to rosacea, so I have to minimize brush contact. on my face.

Top Bottom