What's new

RazorRock Snowman

OK, I was never attracted to the idea of a synthetic brush, but I had to check this out. It does the job fine, but after a couple tries, I have issues.

After shaking the brush down, I still get a ton of water in my soap or croap. How do you deal with this? Use the brush dry for whipping up a lather?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Use the brush dry and just the tips a bit damp. Load the soap on the brush, then spread it on the face. And then wet the tips as usual.
Good luck.

I don’t have the snowman but I have a RR synthetic. I gently squeeze the knot over the sink. It takes a few tries to get the hang of it but it works out ok. I figure it’s easy to add water later but tough to subtract

I’ll try these tips. I was amazed at the quantity of retained water after shaking it out.

I sometimes flick my wrist to get extra water out. Fantastic brush, I love mine.

That I did, until no water seemed to be evacuating the brush. Still, when I squeegeed the brush in my scuttle, water just ran out of it.

I do like the brush and am having fun with it. It’s a learning curve I’m sure. I assume plisoft is a plastic and I would not think it would absorb water.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
It took too long for me to realize that the synths didn't need a soaking like badger seems to .. and I made too much soupy lather before I started squeezing it almost dry prior to loading. I also just received one of the RR Snowmen, I do like it's backbone compared to others I've tried, but is the first Plastic one that sheds "hairs" .. hopefully that stops soon.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
After shaking the brush down, I still get a ton of water in my soap or croap. How do you deal with this? Use the brush dry for whipping up a lather?

I had a similar issue with my Maggard synthetic. It would hold water at the base of the knot and as I was lathering it would run out and down my hand and arm, annoying.

The individual fibers clump together when they get wet and hold water between them. They when you splay the brush to load, or face lather, the fibers work apart releasing that water.

Synthetics hold a lot more water than you might imagine, but it doesnt flow through like natural bristles. I shake mine out thoroughly now, and add a bit of water from my fingers if I need too. Just a few drops, it doesnt usually take much, if any.

Keep at it with that brush. My synthetic has moved into top spot over my Omega boar and Yaqi Silvertip. They dont need to be soaked, they load fast, even with hard soaps. They're very soft, but still have good backbone. If they lack anywhere, its scrub. Mine also dries in about 10 minutes.

Tomorrow is day four. Maybe I’ll bloom my soap and try it dry, just to see where the happy medium is.

I am thinking about going back to face lathering as I had done for over 40 years. I’m not convinced that the warm lather, such as it is, is really that warm.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I have two Razorock Plissoft 24 mm knots and what i do is run the tap into a small plastic bowl(the bowl is many used for swishing the razor for cleaning) and take the brush and display it in the water or run my fingers through the bristles under the tap and just squeeze the excess water out and start to bowl lather. Once the lather is on the face i determine to add a little water to brush tips until I'm happy with the lather appearance.Very happy with my synthetic brushes.

I have two Razorock Plissoft 24 mm knots and what i do is run the tap into a small plastic bowl(the bowl is many used for swishing the razor for cleaning) and take the brush and display it in the water or run my fingers through the bristles under the tap and just squeeze the excess water out and start to bowl lather. Once the lather is on the face i determine to add a little water to brush tips until I'm happy with the lather appearance.Very happy with my synthetic brushes.

Water in my scuttle might work too.

Synthetics hold a lot more water than you might imagine, ...
They're usually made of nylon, aren't they?
I know that flying nylon fabric kites at night can be difficult because moisture condenses on them and the nylon fibers (even in coated ripstop) absorb the water, which makes them heavier than usual. Polyester fabrics fare somewhat better.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
They're usually made of nylon, aren't they?

I have no idea what the fibers are made from, but I know I like them.

It took a lot of prodding for me to try a synthetic. Paint brush bristles? Really?? lol

How wrong I was...

Hi Scott! When lathering, if you see drips or want to test for too much water at the base, just hold the brush over the sink and pinch the hair of the brush closer to the base where there is no soap. If there is too much water you will see it come running out! Then add more water to the tips or soap area if you want more hydration.

Hope this helps, jeremy

Hi Scott! When lathering, if you see drips or want to test for too much water at the base, just hold the brush over the sink and pinch the hair of the brush closer to the base where there is no soap. If there is too much water you will see it come running out! Then add more water to the tips or soap area if you want more hydration.

Hope this helps, jeremy

Thank you, Jeremy!

I have been blooming and using dry, just dipping the tips in water, if I need more. I’m getting the hang of it.

Top Bottom