What's new

What Tobacco Are You Trying For The First Time?

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
We have threads for what tin did you just finish, what good stuff are you waiting for, what's your next pipe, etc. But what tobacco are you trying for the first time and what are your first impressions? Those of us who are trying to build up our cellars often have various amounts of 'baccy bought on other's recommendations but have never tried yet. I'm about two months away from cracking my first can of Escudo when it turns 2 years old. I'll certainly post my impressions in this thread when I finally do. So what are you popping for the first time? Is it freshly bought or have you been hanging on to it, waiting for just the right time?

Mike H

Instagram Famous
Great idea for a thread. I have a tin of Mac Baren Va flake that I want to open, but I already have 4 straight Va open and need to finish at least one of them first.

Sent from my LG-M255 using Tapatalk

I'm recently new again to pipe smoking after a 30+ year hiatus; and no, I didn't have the foresight to stash away a bunch of tobacco! To restart the pleasure, I ordered an 8oz tin of Seattle Pipe Club Potlatch from Pipes & Cigars. According to the ad copy its ingredients include "nutty-sweet toasted black Cavendish, specially selected Burley, smoky Cyprian Latakia, zesty golden Virginias, fragrant Turkish and Acadian Perique." Don't you just love the adjectives?

I used to smoke either a heavy Latakia blend or straight up Latakia, so this sounded interesting and it was on deep discount. I smoked my first bowl last evening after a frustrating couple of days of air travel; very relaxing.

Asst stuff that price sent me. But made my own blend so wont be much new for a while.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My most recent first taste was Peterson Irish Flake, a few weeks ago. Anyone who likes ODF would like this blend (including me).
A second recent first taste was the limited run of Squadron Leader from SP.
I ordered 2 tins so I could keep one and smoke one. This reminds me of the now out of production FMC so much that I probably couldn't distinguish the two in a blind test.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Everything?

Most recently enjoyed Old Joe Krantz for the first time. I've not yet opened a tin of Full Virginia Flake. Looking forward to some Mac Baren Scottish Mixture when it arrives.

Once I finish this tin of Abingdon I’m opening a tin of Ashbury. I’m still on the hunt for a perfect for me full body oriental blend.

An aromatic pouch of Boswell's Best, blend of Cavenish, black vanilla Cavendish, and string cut Virginia. Smooth, slightly sweet, delightful. Smoked many Boswell blends, but not this one until today. Delicious.

Great idea for a thread! Really wish one of us had thought of it a long time back. I'm pretty far into the hobby at this point, so not likely I'll be trying anything new to me now anytime soon, but one never knows for sure.

Neat thread idea! Almost all of my cellar is single tins of new to me stuff. The most recent two that are new to me and have been opened are esoterica pembroke and gl pease temple bar.

The pembroke was opened to be the first bowl smoked in my newest morta. The cut is a very nice ribbon on the finer side. A tad moist out of the tin. It is delightfully smokey. There is a tad of sweetness I'm assuming from the topping. Its very good. Supposed to have a cognac casing but I have never had cognac to know how it tastes :lol:. It is a great blend though. Very tasty.

The gl pease temple bar has been delicious as well. It smells of virginias when takimg a whiff of the plug. But when smoking the virginias are less forward and more equal to the orientals in the blend. Very good balance of sweetness and sour from the orientals. I like it a good bit as I enjoy both virginia and oriental blends. It was different for me smoking a Virginia and oriental blend as most orientals seem to be blended with latakia mostly. It is quite tasty :thumbup:.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I like Temple Bar as well. I think I like Regency Flake a bit better, both are nice.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
They are similar but different. Regency Flake has Izmur tobacco in addition to the Virginias and Orientals, but it may not have the Perique that Temple Bar has. I could be mistaken though. Anyways, I find it a bit sweeter, but it's been awhile since I've had either. YMMV.

They are similar but different. Regency Flake has Izmur tobacco in addition to the Virginias and Orientals, but it may not have the Perique that Temple Bar has. I could be mistaken though. Anyways, I find it a bit sweeter, but it's been awhile since I've had either. YMMV.

Thank you very much! I have a tin of Temple to try soon, I’m on a quest for a great oriental blend and so far GLP is in the lead with Abingdon, but that blend has a little too much lat for what I’m looking for.

After not smoking a pipe for several years, I stumbled across some Bailey's front porch. I was trying to find a mild, simple blend to gently ease back in with. This wasn't it. This was my first experience with latakia, and I was quite pleased with my find.

I open a tin of Star of the east flake for Vacation and have to say it is pretty awesome stuff.

Just opened a tin of HH Burley flake only had one bowl/flake, so jury is still out. But promising

Top Bottom