What's new

Saponificio Varesino Cosmo Beta 4.2

This is the second Saponificio Varesino shaving soap I have tried. The first being the 70th Anniversary Beta 4.1, which I have reviewed separately.

First, I pre-soaked my Brad Sears shaving brush. Put a few drops of hot water on the puck and a little water in the lather bowl. Shook and squeezed the excess water from brush and loaded soap from tin. Started lathering in lather bowl and added a little more water to build up lather.

Got a nice dense lather that was slick and provided excellent cushion. CG Brass Torpedo razor glided over skin. No nicks, weepers or irritation. The scent is also fabulous. I would say a little more earthy than the 70th Anniversary. Coin flip over which I prefer. Today it is the Cosmo.

Another great shaving soap from Saponificio Varesino!

SVCosmo42.jpg

Beautiful set-up, nice write-up.
Hard to go wrong with SV soaps. I have the 70th, Cosmo and Opuntia as well as a sample of Manna di Sicilia 4.3 that is tempting me to add that also :)
Love the Brad Sears look

Beautiful set-up, nice write-up.
Hard to go wrong with SV soaps. I have the 70th, Cosmo and Opuntia as well as a sample of Manna di Sicilia 4.3 that is tempting me to add that also :)
Love the Brad Sears look
I just received the Opuntia today along with SV lather bowl that comes with the stand. Going to try it out tomorrow.

Nice review!
Love SV and Cosmo is the only one I don’t have but I got a sample of the AS and now after reading your review I think I have to get it.

Nice set up! I just ordered the Torpedo Handle. Brian nailed it with that handle in my opinion. Nice Brush to!

I like the SV soaps so much I ordered almost every one they make.

The Brad Sears is my fourth Brad Sears brush. Really love the customization of selecting knots and handles/colors. This knot is new 28mm Super badger hybrid.

I also ordered the torpedo handle in copper in the hopes that one day I will be able to order the copper cap/baseplate. I am on the wait list but it will be months before I will be able to order. Unless CG puts a copper razor on Ready to Ship.

Cosmo vs dolomiti

Which is better?

Both Dolomiti and Cosmo are my favorite SV soaps (I like Cubebe a lot, too). I currently have Dolomiti Beta 4.0, Dolomiti Beta 4.3 and Cosmo.

Dolomiti 4.0 - I just finished a puck and am starting on my second puck now. I've tried a number of SV soaps and Dolomiti (4.0) always seems to perform slightly better than the others. Not sure if this is due to the added silt, but for some reason, it's always been a standout for me. The scent is good, but not my favorite out of the SV soaps. Even though the scent ranks nowhere near the top for me, its performance makes it one of my top three all time favorite soaps.

Dolomiti 4.3 - I just used this for the first time today, so hard to tell if the performance will match the 4.0 version. It certainly looks a lot different than the 4.0 version (see picture below), so the ratios of ingredients are obviously different, so it won't surprise me if there is some slight difference in performance, too. IMO, the scent of the newer 4.3 is a lot nicer than the 4.0 version (the scent is quite a bit different between them).

Cosmo - Like all SV soaps, it performs great. The scent is pretty strong and from what I remember reading in the past, people either seem to like it or they don't (not many neutral opinions). The scent seems more of a cold weather scent to me. I enjoy it, but don't think I would want it as my main soap. When the mood strikes, I love using it, though.

Left: Dolomiti Beta 4.0
Right: Dolomiti Beta 4.3

full

Cosmo and PdP 63 are in the same scent family, Spanish Leather. Different takes, different cultures. I just put both of mine away until October. Unfortunately, we have a short season here that I enjoy using them. Plus I have other Fall soaps...

Top Bottom