What's new

EJ DE89 w/ irritation to Mhule R41 smooth and w/o irritation!?

Hi all,

I originally posted a thread about my shaves and irritation with my EJDE89 which you can find on my profile page. I decided to try more aggressive razors first starting with the NEW LC which gave me much less irritation than my EJ and like very much. Then I jumped to the Mhule R41 and somehow came away with an almost BBS shave on my neck near my problem areas and almost no irritation! After reading all of the reviews of how dangerous the R41 is and that wet shavers should be cautious with this razor, I was very hesitant but I purchased it, threw it on a Maggard MR8 handle, popped in a GSB alongside some Stirling Exec. Man...and BOOM! Only a very slight sting from the good ol' alum block in one area I didn't pay close attention to (my fault). But I used the same exact technique with the R41 that I have used with my other razors and the results are night and day. I have heard other people call the R41 an anomaly and I am starting to think that they might be right.

I recently started using the R41 and found it gives me the best shaves I have ever had. I dont get nics or weepers. With a Feather it shaves silky smooth. I think as long as i don't hurry and pay attention the R41it is very nice to use. For me, it has become my goto razor.

I have been using the R41 on a regular basis since February and left my slants to gather dust. It is a truly fine razor, giving closer less irritation shaves than my slants ever did. Maybe because its aggressive efficiency allows for fewer passes = less facial contact = less irritation. Who knows, but it is a fine machine (just give the respect it and your face deserve).

Another fine razor, not as aggressive, is the RR SLOC. Much smoother than the R41, but may require an additional pass, still returns a mighty fine shave.

I had the same experience in the beginning of my journey. I begun my journey with R41, and then bought a DE89. I was getting much better shaves from R41 than DE89. For a very long time R41 was my favorite razor. Then I found a love for ultra mild razors and I almost never grab R41 anymore.

I found out that using R41 at a steep angle gave me smoother and irritation free shaves, instead of riding the cap. Steep angle also seemed to take those flat hairs better so I didn't need to make as many passes as I did with EJ89.

That's the beauty of an efficient aggressive razor. Less passes for a close shave. On my neck it really helps with irritation issues. Also, my BBS lasts longer with the R41 than the other razors I've tried so far (incl RR GC, DE89, Merkur, Maggard Slant).

That's the beauty of an efficient aggressive razor. Less passes for a close shave. On my neck it really helps with irritation issues. Also, my BBS lasts longer with the R41 than the other razors I've tried so far (incl RR GC, DE89, Merkur, Maggard Slant).
Agreed. I shaved last night with my R41 and today (now 15 hours later), I still have a closer shave than I would get with my Merkur 34C at post shave.

Even though this seems to be typical remarks from most users, I for one, still do not try for A BBS shave, more than happy with a good irritation free DFS. I usually shave on alternate days, so a good DFS on shave day will hold me through that non-shave day just fine.

I think "aggressive" razors are much better and are actually less harsh than mild razors for people with coarse beards. This is definitely true in my case. I also get smoother shaves with and R41 than a DE89, so much so that I'm going to sell my DE89.

I think "aggressive" razors are much better and are actually less harsh than mild razors for people with coarse beards. This is definitely true in my case. I also get smoother shaves with and R41 than a DE89, so much so that I'm going to sell my DE89.
Totally agree. My beard is not super thick but my facial hair is very very coarse and would take 4 passes with my EJ89. The r41 plowed through my hair and only needed 2 passes. And even the second pass was more of a touch up.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Totally agree. My beard is not super thick but my facial hair is very very coarse and would take 4 passes with my EJ89. The r41 plowed through my hair and only needed 2 passes. And even the second pass was more of a touch up.

That's my experience as well

It honestly changed everything. The irritation usually associated with my neck after my shaves is essentially gone.

Yup! Beard coarseness makes all the difference in the world with the type of razor you choose. This is exactly why I don't like seeing people recommending a 34c or DE89 to newbies without knowing what type of beard they have. This is why I always recommend an adjustable (progress/variant).

Yup! Beard coarseness makes all the difference in the world with the type of razor you choose. This is exactly why I don't like seeing people recommending a 34c or DE89 to newbies without knowing what type of beard they have. This is why I always recommend an adjustable (progress/variant).
You're right. Wish I had known

Top Bottom