What's new

Is Speick a premium shaving soap?

That is to say, is it mentioned in the same breath as other top-tier, (non-artisan) soaps like Haslinger's, Tabac, MWF, and so on?

I'm not necessarily asking how it performs, more so the reputation it has.

I always remember people talking about the stick along the same lines as Arko, Cella, etc, that is, a very high performing classic soap. I haven't used it in a long time, mostly due to how many truly incredible artisans are available now. Tabac is the only classic that survives in my den.

Gotcha.
The reason I ask is I used it the other day and found it to be somewhere between fair and poor.
I was surprised because I thought it was considered a higher end soap, but it's performance seems way below Arko or Proraso; not particularly slick, mediocre lather, and poor after-shave feel

Gotcha.
The reason I ask is I used it the other day and found it to be somewhere between fair and poor.
I was surprised because I thought it was considered a higher end soap, but it's performance seems way below Arko or Proraso; not particularly slick, mediocre lather, and poor after-shave feel

Such has never been my experience. In my opinion, Speick is a premium product as far as performance and skin care are concerned. As far as pricing, it's a bargain for me.

I certainly don't plan on throwing it in the trash right away, I'm going to chalk it up to user error. Like I said, I was just surprised at it's poor initial performance for me, I had used Arko the day before and was very pleased with that.

Did you use the stick? I believe the bowl is a different configuration. The stick is right up there with the very best, IMO...

The aftershave is also really excellent. Has witch hazel as well as alcohol, plus the super special magic Speick plant juice...

MWF, Tabac, and Speick are all standard setters I use to compare all others against. If I get the lather right, I am hard hard pressed to really get a 'better' shave.

So that begs the question, are there any tips or trick that need to be used with it?
Is it just something I need to try a few more times and reassess?

Have you used other sticks with success before? Wondering if you may need to use more product.

I prefer mine grated in a bowl, but either way, Speick punches well above its weight class and is up there with the best of them in my den.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
Speick (stick) has been in my den since i first used it many years ago. I continue to use it side by side next to much more expensive soaps. I do grate mine into a tin though, my preferred way to use it.

(*Speick that is)
That is to say, is it mentioned in the same breath as other top-tier, (non-artisan) soaps like Haslinger's, Tabac, MWF, and so on?

I'm not necessarily asking how it performs, more so the reputation it has.

Not quite there, more of a “midfielder”.

B.

For me, their shaving cream and especially their aftershave compare very well with few in my collection that are 3 times more expensive.

So I'm going with "yes", but I'm biased. I absolutely love their performance, scent and reasonable pricing.

Wonderful soap - the newer version in the tub is also good.

Speick stick really punches above its weight as far as shaving quality is concerned.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
....and if you like the performance of Tabac, Speick is nearly identical IMO, without the polarizing scent.

Speick stick for the reasonable cost with performance above asked price point is keeper for me.
Having spent many hours with MWF's temperamental lather whipping I bring around Speick pretty quick where I want it to be in terms of consistent slick performance. Post shave feel alone catapults it in premium category for me.

Ten years on, I still regard the Speick stick a top tier performer and one of my all time favorite scents.

I’m not as in love with it as others but speick stick performs well. I personally rank near Proraso red but a bit better. I prefer arko performance (minus the scent).

Speick ranks well below haslinger and MWF for me as well as newer artisans. Didn’t make the cut for a keeper in my small five soap den.

Top Bottom