What's new

Great instant Coffee

I found this great instant coffee in my health food store. It is called Mount Hagen Organic Cafe. This stuff is not bitter. It is the best instant coffee I have ever had. It tastes better than most drip coffees (Folgers, Maxwell House, etc).

It even tastes better than some whole bean coffees that I have had. it is pricey, but still cheaper than buying by the cup on the street.

Not to be nasty or anything like that but instant coffee and quality are an oxymoron. If you think the instant is better than whole bean coffee you grind yourself it doesn't say much for the bean coffee you used.

I may have to look for this.
and I don't think OP meant it was the best coffee he's ever tasted, I feel he was saying it exceeding his expectations and was better than SOME regular coffees he's tried....maybe a little got lost in translation

I always have a jar of Medaglia D'Oro instant espresso around. I've never tried making a cup of the stuff plain, but it's great for baking, adding a bit to cocoa for a little more of a toasty note, etc.

I'll have to try it out ... I've been looking for a good way to make coffee at work, and instant coffee is just fine to drink on the job. I'm willing to trade-off some quality and taste for the convenience factor.

What size jars does it come in? I've found that coffee goes stale pretty quickly, so its better to buy the smaller containers and keep it fresh.

Mount Hagen products on Amazon

I'll have to try it out ... I've been looking for a good way to make coffee at work, and instant coffee is just fine to drink on the job. I'm willing to trade-off some quality and taste for the convenience factor.

What size jars does it come in? I've found that coffee goes stale pretty quickly, so its better to buy the smaller containers and keep it fresh.

I was skeptical at first, but I bought an Aeropress for the office and it's awesome. :thumbup1: Cleanup is much easier than I thought it would be. I heat water in my microwave, grind up some beans, use the press, and then clean up the plunger with a small napkin. It's almost self-cleaning. I haven't tried the freeze dried stuff, but if you're looking for a relatively convenient way to make good tasting coffee at work, the Aeropress accomplishes it for me.

~Jeff

I found this great instant coffee in my health food store. It is called Mount Hagen Organic Cafe. This stuff is not bitter. It is the best instant coffee I have ever had. It tastes better than most drip coffees (Folgers, Maxwell House, etc).

It even tastes better than some whole bean coffees that I have had. it is pricey, but still cheaper than buying by the cup on the street.

The best instant I have ever had was in Chile. Week long fishing trip and we bought a container of Nescafe. The Nescafe found in the states has (had) nothing on the South American stuff. I don't know what it was, but man, was it good.

Kevin

I was skeptical at first, but I bought an Aeropress for the office and it's awesome. :thumbup1: Cleanup is much easier than I thought it would be. I heat water in my microwave, grind up some beans, use the press, and then clean up the plunger with a small napkin. It's almost self-cleaning. I haven't tried the freeze dried stuff, but if you're looking for a relatively convenient way to make good tasting coffee at work, the Aeropress accomplishes it for me.

~Jeff

The Aeropress looks interesting, and the Amazon price is reasonable ... I'd like to see one in person before I order it, though ... but I've never seen one in any of the kitchen-ware stores I frequently look through.

Where did you get yours?

Is this similar to the Bodum french presses that are all over the place?

Last edited:
The Aeropress looks interesting, and the Amazon price is reasonable ... I'd like to see one in person before I order it, though ... but I've never seen one in any of the kitchen-ware stores I frequently look through.

Where did you get yours?

I felt the same way. I bought a Bodum french press from Target and really liked it. It was a huge step up from what I had been drinking. But I didn't want to deal with any of the cleanup of a french press at work. I kept seeing discussion of the Aeropress, but it just looked like a cheap gimmick to me. But then I began to really resent the coffee I was making at work. I figured I only had about $25 to lose and B&B doesn't really steer me wrong, so I placed an order on Amazon. If you try it and don't like it, you could probably sell it here for about half price pretty easily. Now you only have about $15 to lose. Tempting?

~Jeff

The best instant I have ever had was in Chile. Week long fishing trip and we bought a container of Nescafe. The Nescafe found in the states has (had) nothing on the South American stuff. I don't know what it was, but man, was it good.

Kevin

Must be similar to the Nescafe they have here in France. Since I'll only be here another 4 months I'm too cheap to buy a drip maker, and I rarely have enough time in the morning to do a good French press, so Nescafe it is. It's not comparable to the best drip coffee I've made, but I also think it's more drinkable than Folgers drip coffee.

Great instant coffee? Does such a thing exist? By definition, I don't think great is an adjective which should be used in the same sentence as instant coffee. Unless the sentence is something like: "I had a cup of instant coffee today, it will be a great while before I make that mistake again."

Okay, I am a snob.

Seriously though, Maxwell House, Folgers and whatever else comes in huge tins from the grocery store aren't exactly the gold standard of good coffee. Get yourself a French Press, a burr grinder and some good bean. Learn how to make good coffee. A little effort, some attention to detail makes all the difference in the world.

I'm a coffee lover........my wife says I drink far too much! Nothing fancy just the plain old American brands,but it has to be fresh brewed! Every once in a while I try instant again..........its always the same old story YUCK!

I have the 3.5 ounce jar. The jar says it is good for 60 servings.

Must be similar to the Nescafe they have here in France. Since I'll only be here another 4 months I'm too cheap to buy a drip maker, and I rarely have enough time in the morning to do a good French press, so Nescafe it is. It's not comparable to the best drip coffee I've made, but I also think it's more drinkable than Folgers drip coffee.

Me and my wife took an Israel pilgrimage in December. Some of the hotels had absolutely terrible coffee. Some of us in the tour group used the Nescafe instant instead. It was surprisingly good for instant coffee. I do not know what happens to it when they make it in the States.

I may have to look for this.
and I don't think OP meant it was the best coffee he's ever tasted, I feel he was saying it exceeding his expectations and was better than SOME regular coffees he's tried....maybe a little got lost in translation

That is what I meant to say. Instant coffee is good for use in the car, or when I am in a rush. This stuff is extremely good for what it is.

The whole beans that I had were absolutely terrible. They must have been sitting in the store bins for months or years. I learned my lesson. Now I buy whole beans directly from a roaster.

I picked up some of this from the health food store the other day. Not bad.

I will have to check out the aeropress. We have coffee here, but it is so nasty that i prefer instant.

Where did you get yours?

A coffee cone cup and a water immersion heater are also good choices.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31173MiJpkL._SL160_AA115_.jpg

http://www.sweetmarias.com/filtercones/porcfiltercone1.jpg

Top Bottom