What's new

Eau De Quinine/Portugal VS Vitalis

Lately, I’ve been using vitalis every night after showering. My hair gets extremely dry and frizzy and vitalis prevents frizzing and gets rid of the dryness as well.

But vitalis is a little to greasy/sticky (even though there’s no oil in it) to put in at night, so I was wondering if Pinaud’s Eau De Quinine/ Eau De Portugal would be a better option. Does EDQ prevent dryness of hair and frizziness? I’m also looking to use it as a sort of conditioner/ hair softener. Would EDQ be a good replacement for vitalis, or would it not really meet my needs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Late reply here but maybe my experience will help. I tried Vitalis several times and simply cannot go the scent. I have used both EdQ and EdP from Pinaud/Clubman and EdP from D.R. Harris. I also use Pashana Blue Orchid and it is my favourite hair product scent. I love them all but typcally use them in fall and winter since they contain glycerin which is a humectant and in the humid summers we have here my hair will go moppy from dampness after a short while.

I never really got past trying Vitalis so cannot speak to the efficacy. The others are what the English call friction lotions. They are very similar to Vitalis but are not as tacky feeling since I think they have less glycerin in them. They really are like a light leave in conditioner. They do not add hold as such but can build a little extra body.

The best way I have found to apply them is to decant into a small 2-4oz/50-100ml glass round bottle with a pump atomiser. After washing my hair or just thoroughly wetting it on days I do not wash it and buffing towel dry I spritz about 4-5 full pumps all over the hair. But if you simply like to splash some into your palm like aftershave and apply it don't let me stop you. Then spend a good 3-5 minutes massaging the product into the scalp. Do not just rub it all over your hair for best effect. Use your fingertips(not nails!) to work the product into the scalp itself. It will work itself all over the hairs too so don't worry about that. Part of its effect is to moisturise and condition scalp as well as the hairs. This really apllies to Vitalis as well.

The massaging helps to dry the tonics as well which is how you get a bit of hold and body to your hair. And the scents are fabulous. And do not forget, you can use these as aftershave splashes as well.

Late reply here but maybe my experience will help. I tried Vitalis several times and simply cannot go the scent. I have used both EdQ and EdP from Pinaud/Clubman and EdP from D.R. Harris. I also use Pashana Blue Orchid and it is my favourite hair product scent. I love them all but typcally use them in fall and winter since they contain glycerin which is a humectant and in the humid summers we have here my hair will go moppy from dampness after a short while.

I never really got past trying Vitalis so cannot speak to the efficacy. The others are what the English call friction lotions. They are very similar to Vitalis but are not as tacky feeling since I think they have less glycerin in them. They really are like a light leave in conditioner. They do not add hold as such but can build a little extra body.

The best way I have found to apply them is to decant into a small 2-4oz/50-100ml glass round bottle with a pump atomiser. After washing my hair or just thoroughly wetting it on days I do not wash it and buffing towel dry I spritz about 4-5 full pumps all over the hair. But if you simply like to splash some into your palm like aftershave and apply it don't let me stop you. Then spend a good 3-5 minutes massaging the product into the scalp. Do not just rub it all over your hair for best effect. Use your fingertips(not nails!) to work the product into the scalp itself. It will work itself all over the hairs too so don't worry about that. Part of its effect is to moisturise and condition scalp as well as the hairs. This really apllies to Vitalis as well.

The massaging helps to dry the tonics as well which is how you get a bit of hold and body to your hair. And the scents are fabulous. And do not forget, you can use these as aftershave splashes as well.

Very very helpful, thanks. Now my other question is, is there a difference between EDP and EDQ or are they essentially the same product with different scents?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Within brands they are the same product but yes, different scents. I think the scent of the two you mentioned are absolutely best in Pinaud and D.R. Harris. In Pashana the Blue Orchid and 'original'. I caution you about that latter one. It is well spiced and reminds me a bit of lady's Taboo. It is strong.

Mind too, most of these brands have them with or without oil. Many will refer to the ones with oil as brilliantine or similar but not always. Just make sure you are getting what you want when you hit the order button. Taylor of Old Bond Street has their #74 Traditional in both versions as well and if you like that sort of scent, and I do, then try it though it is a bit pricier. Hit the Clubman/Pinaud products first. Cheap way to see if you like it. Best of luck.

Within brands they are the same product but yes, different scents. I think the scent of the two you mentioned are absolutely best in Pinaud and D.R. Harris. In Pashana the Blue Orchid and 'original'. I caution you about that latter one. It is well spiced and reminds me a bit of lady's Taboo. It is strong.

Mind too, most of these brands have them with or without oil. Many will refer to the ones with oil as brilliantine or similar but not always. Just make sure you are getting what you want when you hit the order button. Taylor of Old Bond Street has their #74 Traditional in both versions as well and if you like that sort of scent, and I do, then try it though it is a bit pricier. Hit the Clubman/Pinaud products first. Cheap way to see if you like it. Best of luck.

As stated above, some of these brands come "with and without oil" which is, in my mind, a key to the product. Once you know what look you're vying for you can decide which of these you prefer. My experience is that those "without" are simply scented water-like tonics which have little-to-no ability to create a hold. Those "with" are more effective but the build-up can get rather stout if used for some days in a row. Much of this depends on how thick your hair is, how often it's washed, etc. It's an experiment at the beginning and only you can solve the answer.

On another note, I've often used Vitalis for years and I agree that the scent is not anything exceptional but I've found it fades rather quickly and then doesn't conflict with other scents. It's an easy to use product without much daily build-up. Everyone's hair is different, though, so take any advice here from me as just a suggestion.

Yes they are different.

Portugal is lighter in fragrance and how it sits on your hair.

Quinine has a much heavier fragrance that people can smell 3 blocks away. It is also heavier in the hair. Maybe more glycerine. Historically, it had quinine as an ingredient which was claimed to regrow hair.

Top Bottom