What's new

Dutch oven German dinner

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Threw some sauerkraut, onions, hunked up 'taters, some grilled smoked sausage from our pig, and a sliced up apple in the pot.

DSC_0003 (2).JPG

Put some heat to it for about an hour or so.

DSC_0007 (2).JPG

I think we are done.

DSC_0012 (2).JPG

Turned out to be a fairly decent dinner.

DSC_0013 (2).JPG

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Yes Chris, I waited for the shade to get to the right spot before I started a charcoal fire...it's full time summer here now.

That's about 10 feet from my front porch. I hear an armadillo digging under the house right now...little monsters. The raccoon didn't show up tonight though...or hasn't yet.

dsc_0005-2-jpg.896861

Last edited:

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
It looks great, but is that a Dutch oven?

Yes, it most certainly is. It's a cast iron outdoor camp Dutch oven with legs on it to let the coals underneath get air and a rim on the lid to keep the coals on top contained. I have several different sizes, for what different things I want to cook in one. I didn't want to start a wood fire tonight and use the coals from that so I just started some charcoal.

Clean up tonight was easy...not near the gunkus that a stew leaves in the bottom or on the sides. Lookin' good now.

DSC_0003 (2).JPG

Last edited:

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Yes Chris, I waited for the shade to get to the right spot before I started a charcoal fire...it's full time summer here now.

That's about 10 feet from my front porch. I hear an armadillo digging under the house right now...little monsters. The raccoon didn't show up tonight though...or hasn't yet.

dsc_0005-2-jpg.896861

It's mid winter here and looking for the sun, funny that.
Those wild animals must love the smell of your cooking.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Great looking meal, I don't have a Dutch Oven...yet!

Looks like you need to get one then. :)

I don't know what's available there, but that one is a Lodge. You probably don't have access to the old Griswold ones that are no longer in production. I have a nice Griswold skillet of Mom's. That's if you want a cast iron one or maybe another finish for indoor cooking. They make cast iron indoor Dutch ovens that have a domed lid on them.

The lids don't need as much attention as the pot does, but I just got finished heating up the lid to that one and putting a thin bit of Crisco on it...nice and shiny now.

A dutch oven is not necessarily what I would reach for in the middle of summer, but that does look good Mike.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Look like some good eats

Do you have a special trick or procedure when they get super funked up? I use kosher salt and elbow music on my cast

That's my standard for getting the stuck on gunk out...kosher salt and a plastic scrubby pad.

Billski

Here I am, 1st again.

dsc_0005-2-jpg.896861

The raccoon did show up . It can be seen easily.

Top Bottom