What's new

So I got a TOBS sampler...

Used Lemon & Lime from my tub. Great performer though I noticed a "waxy" feeling in the postshave on the brush and a bit on my face.

However, it left the face feeling moisturized.

Well no bites on my trade offer for the sampler so I am starting to go through it again. Used lavender and didn't like the scent as much as I recalled. Scent was great as was shave but I remembered liking it more... go figure.

Used Sandalwood. Excellent shave and scent lasted 3/4 of the day. Lather felt fantastic. No waxy feeling post shave. I'm definitely getting a tub of this at some point.

Used Jermyn Street. Excellent performer - one of, if not THE best post shaves of the TOBS samples. The scent is very nice and mild. I can't imagine anyone disliking the scent - very unoffensive. I can see why this is a popular flavor of TOBs.

Used Jermyn Street. Excellent performer - one of, if not THE best post shaves of the TOBS samples. The scent is very nice and mild. I can't imagine anyone disliking the scent - very unoffensive. I can see why this is a popular flavor of TOBs.

Quite so! It’s probably just as popular as Sandalwood!

Used Eton College yesterday. Pleasant, unoffensive and non lingering soapy scent. A bit of a waxy post shave but excellent performance.

Used Avocado today. Excellent shave and post shave with no waxy post shave feel. Scent is a little strange. Seems like a mix of cucumber & rose. Lingers a bit post shave for a few hours. I can see why this is a favorite of many on this forum due to its performance.

I'd like to revise my favorites based on shave performance as

Lemon & Lime
Sandalwood
Jermyn Street
Avocado
Lavender

I'm not particularly sold on the scents of all of them, but they are growing on me

Used Mr Taylor's this morning. It is definitely the most "cologne like" of the scents and is quite strong. Shave and post shave were excellent with no post shave waxiness or residue.

I would describe the scent as "sophisticated gentlemen" or "I'm going on a first date" neither of which describe me. :)

Also got big the sampler pack and am slowly working my way through them. I tried Lemon Lime, Cocoanut, Cedarwood, and Grapefruit. Performance was excellent, lathered easily. It only takes a tiny smudge to make a lot of lather.

As for personal scent preferences, I tend to prefer very mild scents.

Lemon Lime and Coconut were mild and faded quickly. Cedarwood was an almost stereotypically nice "gentlemanly" scent and stayed for some time. Grapefruit had a very pronounced citrus-y scent and stayed longer than the other 3 creams. But I actually liked grapefruit best of the four so far which surprised me. Clean smell which lingered but didn't overpower.

Lemon Lime and Coconut were mild and faded quickly. Cedarwood was an almost stereotypically nice "gentlemanly" scent and stayed for some time. Grapefruit had a very pronounced citrus-y scent and stayed longer than the other 3 creams.

Excellent description. I'm curious what you think of the Sandalwood and Jermyn Street. Keep us posted!

Been going through the scents again. Jermyn Street may be my one of my favorites but it doesn't last long at all (wish it would) and for some reason the lather doesn't perform as well as some of the others.

Lemon & Lime is growing on me. I think the "weird" part of its scent is actually lime as I recently cut a lime and behold it smelled like the cream :)

Sandalwood is strong and definitely has overtones I don't care for, however it does last and grows on you. The performance of the cream is outstanding though.

Did Sandalwood again. Something about this cream's scent just grows on you. It has so many layers and is so complex that it is difficult to describe. It does perform fantastically though. I guess I'll give in and get a tub of it.

Anyone have recommendations for an aftershave to complement the Sandalwood? I use Nivea Sensitive Aftershave Balm which seems to complement well as it is lightly scented and doesn't linger.

Did Sandalwood again. Something about this cream's scent just grows on you. It has so many layers and is so complex that it is difficult to describe. It does perform fantastically though. I guess I'll give in and get a tub of it.

Anyone have recommendations for an aftershave to complement the Sandalwood? I use Nivea Sensitive Aftershave Balm which seems to complement well as it is lightly scented and doesn't linger.

Honestly, because it’s just a good fresh scent, it can go with just about anything.

TOBS does have a Sandalwood AS, but I have not tried it. Their gel balm matches really well on scent but I did not like the application much.

Maybe a simple classic like Proraso Red AS, keep it light and clean?

I use GFT sandalwood skin food, it seems to really complement the TOBS.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I'm a bit surprised that Avocado hasn't been getting more traction/mention in this thread. Back when I got into wetshaving, it was "the one" to get from TOBS, with the reputation for being the best performer of the lot (even if the scent was a bit odd.)

But hey, you guys are finding ones you like, so nothing wrong with that.

6A3159B2-D59A-44D9-A7B1-77AF0DB2A7F8.jpeg
Anyone have recommendations for an aftershave to complement the Sandalwood?

I like to use either Taylor of Old Bond Street sandlewood or Stirling Spice after using my Taylor Of Old Bond Street sandlewood shaving cream. I find that they all pair very well together.

Used Jermyn Street. Wish the scent lasted longer but otherwise superb cream.

I notice most of TOBs creams leave a residue. Not sure if I'm getting the ratio of water to cream wrong.

Used Jermyn Street. Wish the scent lasted longer but otherwise superb cream.

I notice most of TOBs creams leave a residue. Not sure if I'm getting the ratio of water to cream wrong.

The residue seems to happen a little bit with some of the classics. Proraso can do this as well. It’s a light film, easily cleaned if you stay on top of it! A simple, careful wipe with the towel after a shave should take care of most of it. Then, once in a while, disassemble your razor and wipe/wash it out too.

Top Bottom