What's new

Rockwell 6S: I Have Found "The One."

I’ve been wet shaving for over 5 years now. It’s not a lifetime but I have amassed a small arsenal of vintage and modern razors. I recently traded for a Rockwell 6S and these folks aren’t kidding! For me, this razor is SUPERB! I was just thinking this evening that it really is all I would need from here out. Multiple plates to adjust shave and stainless steel for longevity. For anyone who thinks it might not be ‘sexy’ enough... the shave performance makes up for it! Best razor I’ve come across thus far. RAD is currently in remission.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yup, it is simply excellent.
Sure, it is nostalgic and nice to use a Red tip sometimes, it surely is a nice razor too.
But I have nothing that compares to the 6s, I could easily live with that razor only. It's all I really need.
Still not gonna sell my collection though, everyone needs some vintages too :)

Two years on, I'm still loving my Rockwell 6S (R4 daily). I also have the 6C in my travel kit.

I've ordered the karve razor but I'll never let go of my Rockwell razors!!

I've had my Rockwell 6S since February and have settled on what is, I think, the perfect setup: plate R3, Personna Red blade, Tabac stick, and a Plissoft synth brush. Routine BBS with 3 1/2 passes, very infrequent weepers, 7-10 shaves per blade. For variety's sake, I might throw an Astra in there occasionally. I think my ADs are completely done.

I've had my Rockwell 6S since February and have settled on what is, I think, the perfect setup: plate R3, Personna Red blade, Tabac stick, and a Plissoft synth brush. Routine BBS with 3 1/2 passes, very infrequent weepers, 7-10 shaves per blade. For variety's sake, I might throw an Astra in there occasionally. I think my ADs are completely done.
Pretty much my routine, Rockwell R3, I've used Personna Red and Astra but will use others too, and a synthetic brush, though I'm happy with Haslinger's or even Proraso or other inexpensive soaps. Weepers are a no-no, and I don't get them with this routine at all, except when I, um, experiment, which everyone here is adept at convincing me to do. Somehow. ;-)

I absolutely love it too! I have others for other reasons like nostalgia, or history, or aesthetics, or even performance. But when it all comes down to it shave for shave, the Rockwell for me is the smoothest razor, most comfortable & irritation free, plus it provides effortless & consistent BBS shaves. Man I love it!

I did just acquire a Karve CB with 3 different plates so we will see which is the better razor for me, but at this moment the Rockwell reigns supreme in the den.

I would like to read a comparison by you on these two razors!

I'll be living out of a hotel all next week and I'll be using my Rockwell 6s and bring along plates 1/3 and 2/4 along with Kai's and maybe something else, not sure. I'm still trying to figure out lather. I may go with Tabac.

Now that I think about it, I don't believe there has been a blade yet I've put in the 6s and didn't like, despite previously not finding the blade particularly stellar in other razors.

Enter the German Wilkinson Sword. This morning was plate R4 and a brand new Wilky blade. Lathered up with Cella and proceeded to be amazed by the smoothness and efficiency of this combination. Another one of those "can't hurt myself" shaves, forgiving yet super close and ultra smooth, irritation free.

Yes I do get bored with perfect shaves and look for challenges from other razors on non-work days, but each time I go back to the Rockwell it still wows the heck out of me!

proxy.php

What is the consideration for those that have both 6s and Karve razor?

Are they both keepers that compliment each other?

I do have both the 6s and the 3.5" handle Karve razor C plate.

For me, the Karve is a jewel aesthetically, and the C plate is at least as efficient as plate 4 of the 6s. It is the most beautiful modern production razor I own. The major difference is that the Karve (in my hands) is not quite as smooth and forgiving as the 6s is. When using the Rockwell I am much less concerned with angle and pressure (never really have to think about it actually).With the Karve, I do need to keep the angle within that "sweet spot", which is the correct amount of both guard and cap touching down at the same time.

That said, I will always keep and use both, but in my shaving cabinet it's always the Rockwell that comes out when it's a work day morning and I need to shave and get on the road without any potential post shave issues from being in a rush or half-awake. For me and my beard type and shaving technique, it truly is as easy as using a cart razor.

As for me, both are great razors. My Rockwell 6S is built like a tank so the last time I went to Central America I took it as my travel razor where it served me well. I had no concerns about damaging it and it consistently gave me a good shaves under less than ideal conditions. I see a lot of others use a 6C for their travel razor and I have to wonder about that though I understand the reasoning (less costly if you lose it and a lower cost razor dedicated to a specific need). I suspect the 6C is more prone to being damaged while traveling. That said, I do not limit my use of the Rockwell 6S to travel and it will remain a part of my normal rotation.

I agree with @Highspeedlane that the Karve is an aesthetically pleasing razor, particularly with regard to its guilloche handle. And it is a well-built piece too. The production is of a higher quality with higher tolerances in its machining whereas the Rockwell 6S is an injection molded product--nothing wrong with that because it simply works and results in a razor that it relatively bullet proof. So while I had no reservation about taking my Rockwell on my trip, I would think twice about doing that with the Karve with its higher level machining and aesthetics.

For me, both razors are smooth, easy to use and produce great results when I shave. I actually think that the Karve is slightly better and more precise but the difference is not dramatic.

So the answer to your question is yes, these razors are both keepers and they do complement each other.

As for me, both are great razors. My Rockwell 6S is built like a tank so the last time I went to Central America I took it as my travel razor where it served me well. I had no concerns about damaging it and it consistently gave me a good shaves under less than ideal conditions. I see a lot of others use a 6C for their travel razor and I have to wonder about that though I understand the reasoning (less costly if you lose it and a lower cost razor dedicated to a specific need). I suspect the 6C is more prone to being damaged while traveling. That said, I do not limit my use of the Rockwell 6S to travel and it will remain a part of my normal rotation.

I agree with @Highspeedlane that the Karve is an aesthetically pleasing razor, particularly with regard to its guilloche handle. And it is a well-built piece too. The production is of a higher quality with higher tolerances in its machining whereas the Rockwell 6S is an injection molded product--nothing wrong with that because it simply works and results in a razor that it relatively bullet proof. So while I had no reservation about taking my Rockwell on my trip, I would think twice about doing that with the Karve with its higher level machining and aesthetics.

For me, both razors are smooth, easy to use and produce great results when I shave. I actually think that the Karve is slightly better and more precise but the difference is not dramatic.

So the answer to your question is yes, these razors are both keepers and they do complement each other.
Now who's providing "Unvarnished enabling by someone obviously skilled in that dark art" :001_tt2:

Yesterday's shave went so smoothly, so perfectly, I had to repeat it again today. Though normally I do two passes (WTG and a mix of XTG and ATG depending on facial area) plus touch up, today I deliberately factored in three passes. That's how comfortable the German Wilkinson Sword blade is on the 6s using plate R4. It made me WANT to do another pass, simply for the pleasure of doing so. I checked the shave with an alum block...zero feedback.

To date I've run the following blades through my 6s: 7o'clock Super Stainless, Permasharp Super, Kai and beginning yesterday, the German Wilkinson Sword. I thought the Kai was where I could hold the line for perfect shaves but the Wilkinson Sword appears to have taken that a step farther and unseated the Kai in all areas including comfort, efficiency and smoothness.

proxy.php

6D61C1FA-C5A8-481F-8F88-D18ABF672597.jpeg
D1DBFD30-2571-4253-B0CB-F01EBE40771A.jpeg
Do you have a picture of that issue? I have ordered a 6S that is still in the mail system as of today and I bought this particular razor because the previous Fendrihan Stainless Steel razor I had was having major alignment issue. I read a lot of great reviews online that said the Rockwell had perfect blade alignment. So I am a little confused now. :-S

I thought I’ve been going crazy but for the past two weeks every time I go for my Rockwell 6S I notice I only one side shaves. Currently have a Wilkinson blade in it and it’s easier to measure the blade tabs at the end but the blade consistently angles so one side is more exposed than the other. But I’ve not said anything because, you know, it’s the Jesus of SE’s so obviously I must be wrong. But i don’t know what to do, I just end up disheartened after every shave. But in the photo you can see that at the tabs of the blad one half is at a millimeter and the other dips half a millimeter. This is with plate 3 on.

Without the measuring I’ve had the same frustration with a Voskhod and Astra blade.

Last edited:
View attachment 904808 View attachment 904809

I thought I’ve been going crazy but for the past two weeks every time I go for my Rockwell 6S I notice I only one side shaves. Currently have a Wilkinson blade in it and it’s easier to measure the blade tabs at the end but the blade consistently angles so one side is more exposed than the other. But I’ve not said anything because, you know, it’s the Jesus of SE’s so obviously I must be wrong. But i don’t know what to do, I just end up disheartened after every shave. But in the photo you can see that at the tabs of the blad one half is at a millimeter and the other dips half a millimeter. This is with plate 3 on.

Without the measuring I’ve had the same frustration with a Voskhod and Astra blade.
Not trying to be a smarta$$ here, but have you tried straightening it with the tabs before you fully tighten it?

If the blade won’t stay straight after you do that, then obviously something has gone wrong with the casting of the top cap and/or plates. Email Gareth, I imagine they’ll fix you up, free of charge.

Not trying to be a smarta$$ here, but have you tried straightening it with the tabs before you fully tighten it?

If the blade won’t stay straight after you do that, then obviously something has gone wrong with the casting of the top cap and/or plates. Email Gareth, I imagine they’ll fix you up, free of charge.

I did try that three times, holding the blade straight while attaching the handle, but the razor torks the blade into the angle pictured every time, the pegs in the head give the blade very little wiggle room. I also tried not screwing the handle the entire way, but then I just had a very loose razor head which would rotate on my as I tried shaving, that did not feel safe.

BUT I’ve sent an email to Rockwell, and I’ve heard nothing but good things about their customer service so I’m hoping that’s not changed.

Last edited:
Top Bottom