What's new

Razor head??

Edwin Jagger use the same head on all it's razors (as far as I know, I may be wrong but thats the impression I get). Is this the same for other brands like Muhle, merkur, Parker etc? Or is there variations through the brand, obviously adjustables are different, I mean the fixed heads.

There are differences between the heads within most manufacturers. Open and closed comb comes immediately to mind.

EJ only make a closed comb, Muhle make open/closed. But what I mean is is there variations within the same type like a mild or aggressive head varients

They supply different handles, the head is the same if it looks the same

R-101 (Muhle 2010 model)

proxy.php

R-41 (Muhle 2010 model)

proxy.php

Last edited:

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Mühle, Edwin Jagger, and Baxter of California all use the same closed comb razor head.
Edwin Jagger and Muhle designed the 89 head together. Muhle supplies the heads for Edwin Jagger. I don't know who produces the head for Baxters. Most American vendors who use the 89 head use Chinese clone knock off heads.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Most American vendors who use the 89 head use Chinese clone knock off heads.

There doesnt look to me to be much difference with the Rockwell head either, other than its stainless with plates you can flip, but its the same basic design.

P1160333.jpg 2ngvbf6.jpg

Theres also the Merkur 15C, which is a different design.

Merkur15c.jpg

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Is there much difference between the EJ 89 and the Muhle closed comb head?
None, They are the same head. That's why a lot of people go for EJ over Muhle as they cost less. I have the Muhle because I like their handle. I have both the Muhle r89 and r41. Muhle also makes the twist which is a two piece razor with the 89 head.

Don't be fooled by looks.

The India Sabi head looks like a DE89 but feels like a straight. it has a high blade shelf which gives it some serious room around the base plate and combs.

I used to have one in my free range head collection but I think I may have let it go.

So in this review a Muhle comes first and they talk about how aggressive it is. But an Edwin Jagger comes fifth and thet say it's mild. If the head are the same I take they are talking rubbish.

8 best safety razors

The best way to find a good product is to totally avoid "8 best ....", "10 best ...." or any other list claiming to have the best ones listed. Once I even saw a study made about this and the conclusion was that this kind of lists are almost always useless.

The best way to find a good product is to totally avoid "8 best ....", "10 best ...." or any other list claiming to have the best ones listed. Once I even saw a study made about this and the conclusion was that this kind of lists are almost always useless.

+1! Excellent point! You are much better off checking reviews here on B&B IME.

Top Bottom