What's new

Tobacquisitions- July 2018

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
image.jpg

Haven’t smoked it yet, but 32.00 for a Morta is not bad at all.

It definitely has an “oakish” flavor. I wonder if it’s just an oak pipe dyed black? Is there a Morta test?

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
image.jpg

Smokes quite nicely but don’t think it’s Morta. The black coating comes off...

Aye. I’m gonna have to guess that just a raw block of Morta costs more than 32.00.
LOL!!! Good news is, as lessons go, that's a pretty cheap lesson. Lord knows I've had my share.

My 50th birthday pipe from Larrysson has an olive Cumberland. It’s a great look.
Olive? So that's the color. That picture makes it look more in your face than it actually is. I really do like it. I asked for a blasted finish and he emailed me and told me the grain was so nice, he really hated to blast it. I told him to give it a smooth finish, if he felt that strongly about it, lol. The birdseye on yours is remarkable. I don't think I've seen prettier birdseye grain than yours.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
LOL!!! Good news is, as lessons go, that's a pretty cheap lesson. Lord knows I've had my share.

Olive? So that's the color. That picture makes it look more in your face than it actually is. I really do like it. I asked for a blasted finish and he emailed me and told me the grain was so nice, he really hated to blast it. I told him to give it a smooth finish, if he felt that strongly about it, lol. The birdseye on yours is remarkable. I don't think I've seen prettier birdseye grain than yours.

I think it will be my Lakeland pipe :).

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!

Great flame grain. The wide rim on mine highlighted the Birdseye, but your flame looks great. If Paul says it shouldn’t be blasted, he’s right. Blast just covers blemishes.

I think it will be my Lakeland pipe :).
LOL! Sounds like a good job for it. I haven’t smoked lakelands for a while. I’m going to have to pack a radiator with some grousemoor.

Great flame grain. The wide rim on mine highlighted the Birdseye, but your flame looks great. If Paul says it shouldn’t be blasted, he’s right. Blast just covers blemishes.
At the point he told me that, I hadn’t seen the pipe but I agreed with him it was sacrilege to blast over nice grain. He’s the master pipe dude and it would have been foolish for me to have not trusted his judgement. I was more than pleased when he sent me pictures, and I liked it even more when I held it in my hand. It’s bowl is just shy of 1”dia and is 1.5”deep. I loaded it with Gaslight tonight, thinly sliced and very lightly broken up, and I enjoyed a 2 1/2+ hour smoke.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
According to the seller it’s dyed black because it’s only been in the bog for 200 years and only 8000 year ones are black. So why dye it? Because it’s a design element by the carver.

Lol the guy has an answer for everything.

Top Bottom