What's new

Antique store find

Went to a local antique store over the weekend to see what I could find. I was looking for an old shaving mug but unfortunately I struck out on that front. I did find a box full of razors that were all priced reasonably. Mostly the usual suspects but there were a few I didn’t recognize. After a bit of haggling I walked out with a $10 Gillette Slim which was fully functional. Not a bad day over all

proxy.php

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, every time a see a title like this I get excited.
Then, when I open the thread I find out its the usual suspects - SS, Tech, Slim, FB...
Such a disappointment!...:(

Well, every time a see a title like this I get excited.
Then, when I open the thread I find out its the usual suspects - SS, Tech, Slim, FB...
Such a disappointment!...:(

Honestly around here I’m happy with the usual stuff. 90% of the time I find nothing or stuff so damaged it’s not usable. There were a few oddballs in the box but I limit my vintage interests to DE TTO. So I’m pretty much always looking for the usual stuff

Very nice finds and great acquisition.

I need to start going to some antique shops. I want to add a Slim or Fat Boy to my scant collection.

Honestly around here I’m happy with the usual stuff. 90% of the time I find nothing or stuff so damaged it’s not usable. There were a few oddballs in the box but I limit my vintage interests to DE TTO. So I’m pretty much always looking for the usual stuff
That's just my disappointment.
Yours is a win!
Happy shaving! ;)

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Whenever I see a box like that I always pop the question ... "How much for the whole box?" but this seller looks like she's done her homework. Occasionally I get a crazy response which is probably why I have so many razors.

Congrats on your acquisition, don't forget the stickied thread -- Safety Razor Acquisition Thread.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
There are 6 Gillette SS's there too, one Flare Tip. If any are made in England I'd have my greedy fingers around them lol.

I think theres a GEM MMOC hiding down in the left corner too, and the one just above it with the hexagon handle is curious...

Whenever I see a box like that I always pop the question ... "How much for the whole box?" but this seller looks like she's done her homework. Occasionally I get a crazy response which is probably why I have so many razors.

Congrats on your acquisition, don't forget the stickied thread -- Safety Razor Acquisition Thread.

The Mrs and I had a long talk about “healthy” collecting a couple of years ago and I agreed to limit my vintages to DE only, specifically TTO. Otherwise I would have made an offer on the box haha

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member

That’s what i was thinking. Why not leave with the whole box! Seems they are reasonably priced as it is.

There are 6 Gillette SS's there too, one Flare Tip. If any are made in England I'd have my greedy fingers around them lol.

I think theres a GEM MMOC hiding down in the left corner too, and the one just above it with the hexagon handle is curious...

I looked over all of the superspeeds and they were great but I didn’t need them. I was hoping to find a 1947 but no luck

There were several Injectors, a few Gem including the MMOC and the weird ones. The hex handle you spotted was very narrow high arched head. I wasn’t sure it took a standard blade so I passed. In the bottom you can also see a weird razor with a looped handle. It had a small blade segment sort of like a rolls. I hadn’t seen one like that before

Very nice finds and great acquisition.

I need to start going to some antique shops. I want to add a Slim or Fat Boy to my scant collection.

They are everywhere. You just have to look around and ask. In my experience flea markets tend to be ebay prices or higher. Small antique stores often have a box in the back somewhere and they tend to be priced more fairly

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
There were several Injectors, a few Gem including the MMOC and the weird ones. The hex handle you spotted was very narrow high arched head. I wasn’t sure it took a standard blade so I passed. In the bottom you can also see a weird razor with a looped handle. It had a small blade segment sort of like a rolls. I hadn’t seen one like that before

Learning about all the different injectors might make my head explode haha.

Bad picture but it cleaned up really well. Some paint loss on the numbering but it shaved like a dream

proxy.php

Top Bottom