What's new

Does rinsing a puck after using it waste any significant amount of soap?

Probably not, however my preference is to put the unused lather from the brush back into the mug. It makes lathering easier the next time. It probably doesn't make the puck last significantly longer though.

Probably not, however my preference is to put the unused lather from the brush back into the mug. It makes lathering easier the next time. It probably doesn't make the puck last significantly longer though.
Yeah, the thing is that it makes the puck look dirty to me. I know it probably doesn't bother most people but I'm a little picky. However I also don't want to unnecessarily waste soap.

I rinse mine and pat them dry. I keep hoping to waste some soap. My pucks seem to last forever and I want new ones:)

Honestly for years I didn’t even let mine dry. I just put leftover lather back in and closed the lid. Never caused me any issues. That being said I also 3017’d everything so it was used daily or at least every other day. Now that I have more soaps I rinse them and let them dry before putting them away.

I can’t imagine it uses up that much more as long as you aren’t agitating the soap during the rinse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The problem with rinsing your soap is that then you trap a lot of moisture in the container, and it causes the soap to get mushy. If you rinse, be sure to leave the top off of the container to allow it to dry. Preferably also let it sit upside down for a while.

My first reaction was to say that you would be losing a fairly significant amount of soap by doing that. And then when I thought about it, I'm guessing probably not as much as I originally thought. But the question is "Why?" I just let my soaps dry naturally by keeping the lid off. There isn't anything getting on the soap other than water, or the occasional stray badger, boar or synthetic brush strand which can be picked off. So, I guess the question is why rinse at all? I rinse my body soap in the shower before I'm finished to get any hair that may be stuck to it off. But shaving soap seems to me to be just fine air drying.

My first reaction was to say that you would be losing a fairly significant amount of soap by doing that. And then when I thought about it, I'm guessing probably not as much as I originally thought. But the question is "Why?" I just let my soaps dry naturally by keeping the lid off. There isn't anything getting on the soap other than water, or the occasional stray badger, boar or synthetic brush strand which can be picked off. So, I guess the question is why rinse at all? I rinse my body soap in the shower before I'm finished to get any hair that may be stuck to it off. But shaving soap seems to me to be just fine air drying.
Just me being picky, I don't like the way the container looks with dried lather. Looks dirty to me, although I know it's just lather. Again, it's me just being picky.

Just me being picky, I don't like the way the container looks with dried lather. Looks dirty to me, although I know it's just lather. Again, it's me just being picky.

I can understand that. I'm the same way. But what I've noticed is that after letting the soap air dry, the lather pretty much disappears and I'm left with a mostly dry soap in the container. I also tend to try and use my finger to scoop up most of the lather that is left on the side of the container once I've loaded my brush. That leaves my container, and the soap, pretty clean looking. And I always wipe down the outside of the container.

Last edited:

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I rinse my current soap, as my boar has started shedding, so there may be a couple of bristles to remove, plus overspill lather that's run down the outside of the tin can make the tin stick to the shelf. No problems noticed from rinsing it here. I don't bother putting the lid back on, as I'll generally be using it again within two days anyway.

To answer the original question, can't imagine that a quick rinse would cause any additional depletion of the puck. Just let it dry, lid off at least overnight to let it come back to it original texture.

Years ago I was the same way, could not stand a dirty looking soap dish. Still can't stand a dirty OUTSIDE of the dish, but now the puck and any lather on the inside is on its own. Leave the lid off and most of the lather will dry and hardly be noticeable.

I don't think it matters a lot. Several of my pucks are in clear Pyrex bowls, looks tacky if I don't rinse them out. Non-transparent containers it depends on my mood, about 50-50 rinsing them.

Yeah, the thing is that it makes the puck look dirty to me. I know it probably doesn't bother most people but I'm a little picky. However I also don't want to unnecessarily waste soap.

I rinse whatever soap I have used for the day. I then turn it upside down to drain. After about 5 min I set it aside to dry until the next morning and put the lid back on. One thing that's always been a turn off to me is when someone has a used soap for sale in the BS & T and it has used lather on top. Instant no sale for me. If the top is clean and I want to try that soap I will purchase it used.

I am picky too.

Kerry from Phoenix & Beau told me that when I finish loading my soap, rinse it well from the inside and outside with ICE cold water and dry it overnight upside down on a clean towel.
Very little product is wasted and the puck when dried is tidy and it is more easy for me to keep it clean and if I want to sell it, the person who will get it, will be very satisfied like he would buy a new soap. My OCD does not let me leave a mess behind me by any means, this includes the soap rinsing.

I would like to post some pics from my soaps to see what I'm saying. You won't believe to your eyes. The soaps look like they have never been used. Only the surface is lower and lower with the shaves Im doing..

I spend some extra time to clean all my equipment after shave, including soaps,yes it is exhausted, but very satisfying.

Last edited:
I am picky too.

Kerry from Phoenix & Beau told me that when I finish loading my soap, rinse it well from the inside and outside with ICE cold water and dry it overnight upside down on a clean towel.
Very little product is wasted and the puck when dried is tidy and it is more easy for me to keep it clean and if I want to sell it, the person who will get it, will be very satisfied like he would buy a new soap. My OCD does not let me leave a mess behind me by any means, this includes the soap rinsing.

I would like to post some pics from my soaps to see what I'm saying. You won't believe to your eyes. The soaps look like they have never been used. Only the surface is lower and lower with the shaves Im doing..

I spend some extra time to clean all my equipment after shave, including soaps,yes it is exhausted, but very satisfying.
Same here :)

I rinse my soaps. I have a small wire stainless steel basket. I set the lid of my soaps in basket then set my soap upside down just on the edge of the lid over night.
Works for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I rinse and wipe of the outside of the tub/container and let dry a day uncovered before replacing cover and putting away. Negligible soap loss if the puck gets wet accidentally while being rinsed I think. I use a dribbling tap running, rather than a touch more forcefully running water, eh?

I rinse whatever soap I have used for the day. I then turn it upside down to drain. After about 5 min I set it aside to dry until the next morning and put the lid back on. One thing that's always been a turn off to me is when someone has a used soap for sale in the BS & T and it has used lather on top. Instant no sale for me. If the top is clean and I want to try that soap I will purchase it used.

:a14:
I hear ya - I always keep a single edge blade around to scrape off any prior owner crustaceans that have lingered on a puck that was lathered directly not scooped.
Always use cold water to rinse my own and always the leave open on its side for min 24 hrs to dry.

I rinse and wipe of the outside of the tub/container and let dry a day uncovered before replacing cover and putting away. Negligible soap loss if the puck gets wet accidentally while being rinsed I think. I use a dribbling tap running, rather than a touch more forcefully running water, eh?
Good idea on the dribbling tap

Top Bottom