What's new

Choices and need help

Gentleman, I am still pretty new at this but have all of the AD’s that go with straight shaving. I am wanting to get a new to me razor and have found two that I am pretty interested in. Would you kindly look at the two pictures below and give me your opinion of which of the two you would buy and why? Thanks for the help.

proxy.php
proxy.php

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Definitely the second, but I lose all self control when confronted with a shoulder less, barbers notch wedge!!

I am leaning that way too. It is pretty sexy. I wasn’t sure if the engstrom was better steel or something else I didn’t know about. Thanks for the replies.

The second one is very elegant but it is a wedge razor. Wedge razors can give you nasty cuts if you still are learning. Wedge razors require that you have total control when it comes to skin stretching, this since wedge razors cut off everything that comes in the way stubble as well as skin. Therefore I recommend the full hollow razor. A full hollow razor flexes on the skin and thus reduces the risk of being cut.

Then again, as stated above; get both if you can afford them. They both seem to be in good shape an sooner or later you will get an urge to try a wedge razor and the one above is a beautiful specimen.

That was my two cents.

Thank you all for the replies. It looks like the majority are like me and think the second one is the better looking razor.

@Polarbeard, thank you. That is the kind of knowledge I don’t have and am looking for. I may try to get both of them because I want to try an Eskiltuna blade but I also think that wedge looks really awesome. How would it compare to the Friodur 72V? I shaved with it last night and had probably the best shave in terms of irritation and smoothness.

Thank you all for the replies. It looks like the majority are like me and think the second one is the better looking razor.

@Polarbeard, thank you. That is the kind of knowledge I don’t have and am looking for. I may try to get both of them because I want to try an Eskiltuna blade but I also think that wedge looks really awesome. How would it compare to the Friodur 72V? I shaved with it last night and had probably the best shave in terms of irritation and smoothness.

Thank you for the kind words Sean, I'd say that they are rather similar. Both are wedge razors of about the same size. This also means that if you get the second razor you'll get more of what you already got...

Given a certain base level of craftsmanship and steel quality the brand and looks really are mostly cosmetic (Swedish razors excluded of course :001_tongu) What does matter though is the size and grind. So my recommendation is to try as many different combinations of size and grind as possible. It'll save you a lot of money and reduce the time needed to find out what you really like.

Try to stay firm and don't follow the example of the mad fanatics that build up huge collections savouring every
nuance of their razors' differences. Mad I say! ...I happen to know one of them rather well.:em2100:

Hmmm I know who that is aimed at Arne!!! :001_tt2::001_tt2::001_tt2::001_tt2:
But to the subject As Polarbeard said above, for learning full hollow grind is a forgiving razor. But again if you can do get both you wont regret it...

I have a Geo Wostenholm razor that looks a lot like your 1st razor (extra hollow, square point, stabilizer, etc.). While it might not be as attractive as the 2nd razor, if the 1st razor shaves anything like may Wosty, you won't be disappointed.

and that wedge as a stubby, I'd get it first. Swedes are great blades, period.

what Arne said is true. it's a bit more demanding not taking layers off. with a good edge, you'll be clean through without slowing down before you notice it. they're also more work to hone. if you send them out, ensure your honer is willing to do wedges.

but everyone should try one at least once to see if it's their thing. that it's a stub in that condition, makes it even more worthwhile to purchase.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Myself, though the wedge is a nice looking razor, I don't like honing them. I would go for the hollowground.

I'd buy both if I could. If I was still working on my first 200 or so shaves I'd buy the first. It's in great shape, has a fine reputation, and is easy to work with.

At this point in my shaving journey I'd buy the second one. As others have said... It is shoulderless. It's a barber's notch. It's far older and it looks to be in great shape.

Had a W&B near-wedge once. Just wasn’t for me....at all. No fun to hone either as Slash stated.
Quarter hollows are as thick as I can go. The bellied grinds being put out by Koraat and Brian Brown are the bomb. That is where I lean toward

I lost out on the first one but ended up buying the second one. I will probably be asking for suggestions on who to send it to for honing soon. I hope to be ready to attempt honing my own soon but will want to have it done by someone who knows what they are doing first. Will the pasted balsa work on a wedge to keep it sharp?

Thanks again for all the replies. I really appreciate this forum and especially this sub group. You guys have really helped me along on this journey.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
I lost out on the first one but ended up buying the second one. I will probably be asking for suggestions on who to send it to for honing soon. I hope to be ready to attempt honing my own soon but will want to have it done by someone who knows what they are doing first. Will the pasted balsa work on a wedge to keep it sharp?

Thanks again for all the replies. I really appreciate this forum and especially this sub group. You guys have really helped me along on this journey.

Honestly I have never tried it on a wedge but if you tape the spine exactly the same on the balsa as on the finishing film or stone, I see no reason why it wont work. I say this because taping the spine of a wedge, at least for the finish, is almost universal. The spine must be lifted if you want a well finished edge on a full wedge. At least that is my experience on the matter. I will disclaimerize by stating that I have nowhere near the level of experience with wedges that some other members have.

And this is yet another reason why I personally prefer hollowgrounds. I hit the .1u diamond on balsa after every shave. Who wants to routinely tape a razor every time it is used? And take pains to perfectly center the tape every time? And what about the vinyl swarf accumulating in the grain of my balsa?

By all means, try it, but do report back on your results, and add to our knowledge base.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Thank you for the kind words Sean, I'd say that they are rather similar. Both are wedge razors of about the same size. This also means that if you get the second razor you'll get more of what you already got...

Given a certain base level of craftsmanship and steel quality the brand and looks really are mostly cosmetic (Swedish razors excluded of course :001_tongu) What does matter though is the size and grind. So my recommendation is to try as many different combinations of size and grind as possible. It'll save you a lot of money and reduce the time needed to find out what you really like.

Try to stay firm and don't follow the example of the mad fanatics that build up huge collections savouring every
nuance of their razors' differences. Mad I say! ...I happen to know one of them rather well.:em2100:
WHAAAAT?!!!!!!!!

Top Bottom