What's new

Should you be “committed” to the BOSC (Brotherhood of Shaving Crazies)?

Which category do you fall under?

• Total voters

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Today was my biannual Christmas celebration.
So I broke my rules and CHANGED THREE OF MY FIXED FOUR. :w00t:

BOSC SOTD

Brush:
Shavemac Ferrari (Silvertip 2-Band)
Soap: BOSC (A croap made from MdC Citrus and Proraso Red ASL)
Razor: BOSC 3F by Karve
Blade: Polsilver SI (12)
ASL: Proraso Red
upload_2018-6-27_23-39-29-png.893801

Considering all the changes plus three days (heavy) growth... it was definitely a damned good shave (BBS). :punk:

You gotta explain the razor!

You gotta explain the razor!
It's a Karve with a 3" handle and an F baseplate. I had it Cerakoted by a guy (here in the UK) that specializes in firearms. The handle and cap are Cerakoted in Corvette Yellow. The baseplate and the jester hats on the cap are Cerakoted in Smith & Wesson Red. So there you have it. :yesnod:

It's a Karve with a 3" handle and an F baseplate. I had it Cerakoted by a guy (here in the UK) that specializes in firearms. The handle and cap are Cerakoted in Corvette Yellow. The baseplate and the jester hats on the cap are Cerakoted in Smith & Wesson Red. So there you have it. :yesnod:
You Sir are a sick man......... I like it

Excellent custom job! Love the Corvette yellow. :thumbsup: Is the brush new as well?

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Today was my biannual Christmas celebration.
So I broke my rules and CHANGED THREE OF MY FIXED FOUR. :w00t:

BOSC SOTD

Brush:
Shavemac Ferrari (Silvertip 2-Band)
Soap: BOSC (A croap made from MdC Citrus and Proraso Red ASL)
Razor: BOSC 3F by Karve
Blade: Polsilver SI (12)
ASL: Proraso Red
upload_2018-6-27_23-39-29-png.893801

Considering all the changes plus three days (heavy) growth... it was definitely a damned good shave (BBS). :punk:
This is all so beautiful...:crying: I'm crying tears of joy! :w00t: Thank you Cal, thank you, for always bringing BOSC to a whole knew level. :drool: :letterk1:

BOSC R US.png (Proudly)

Hello all! I am planning to run some Experiments, and given we are BOSC, would like to solicit your advice.
proxy.php

The razor I grab most often, and the one that I find I keep going back to, is a Gillette Slim. I recently acquired the Christopher Bradley Karve razor, and am looking to really compare the various guard plates for the CB to my Slim. I don't know if I plan to commit to just one razor in the end, or if (as I suspect) I'll settle on KNOWING which plate will be better but still love my Slim.

My current plan is to put the same brand new blade in each razor, and alternate shaves. I don't think I like alternating during a shave. I have done it in the past and while it helped answer a question I had, it seems cumbersome. I have read posts were one side is one set up and then the next shave switch sides, but I want to compare the whole enchilada from one shave to the next. I plan to keep the soap and brush the same also.

So, if you have done some comparisons, what worked best for you? What tips would you pass along?

proxy.php

proxy.php

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
The handle and cap are Cerakoted in Corvette Yellow. The baseplate and the jester hats on the cap are Cerakoted in Smith & Wesson Red.

Corvettes and S&W. Two of my most favorite things!

That is cool Cal. You need to start a thread about that razor if you havent already.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
My current plan is to put the same brand new blade in each razor, and alternate shaves. I don't think I like alternating during a shave.

When comparing razors thats what I do.

I recently compared 3 of my Gillette Old Types, a 1917 Single Ring, a Canadian and a made in England clone. I put fresh Polsilvers in all of them and used each one in turn for a full shave. It didnt take long noticing the differences.

I'd start with your blade of choice in the Slim, same blade in the Karve and vary the plates for each shave. You dont say whether or not you change the setting on the Slim, if you do that will complicate things, but take note of how the Carve does on the areas you change the settings with each plate. I'd be surprised if you didnt find one plate that worked as well overall as your Slim.

When comparing razors thats what I do.

I recently compared 3 of my Gillette Old Types, a 1917 Single Ring, a Canadian and a made in England clone. I put fresh Polsilvers in all of them and used each one in turn for a full shave. It didnt take long noticing the differences.

I'd start with your blade of choice in the Slim, same blade in the Karve and vary the plates for each shave. You dont say whether or not you change the setting on the Slim, if you do that will complicate things, but take note of how the Carve does on the areas you change the settings with each plate. I'd be surprised if you didnt find one plate that worked as well overall as your Slim.

Thanks for explaining your method! The Facts Matter! I apologize for leaving out pertinent ones, namely the changing of settings on the Slim. For a Really Comfortable Shave, I set to 5 and leave it. For an almost BBS (true BBS leaves spots irritated), I set at 6 for WTG, and step down to 5 for the second pass and some touch ups. My typical shave style is 2 passes, WTG and XTG (both directions) and touch up pass on neck (hate stubble catching my shirt collar, as I have to wear a tie for work and work 12-hour shifts). I will most likely start with leaving the Slim setting alone during the shave. Once I have a few trials, I may compare switching settings and/or plates.

My initial impressions with the Karve is that the plates shave with a "feeling" of one setting with the efficiency of a higher setting. I want to nail it down, more for fun, since playing with razors is fun! Seriously, curiosity is what is driving this, as I really don't see myself tossing my Slim. But who knows, when I got the Slim, I was using a Maggard Razors open comb v.2 and thought I had my razor all sorted out!

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Thanks for explaining your method! The Facts Matter! I apologize for leaving out pertinent ones, namely the changing of settings on the Slim. For a Really Comfortable Shave, I set to 5 and leave it. For an almost BBS (true BBS leaves spots irritated), I set at 6 for WTG, and step down to 5 for the second pass and some touch ups. My typical shave style is 2 passes, WTG and XTG (both directions) and touch up pass on neck (hate stubble catching my shirt collar, as I have to wear a tie for work and work 12-hour shifts). I will most likely start with leaving the Slim setting alone during the shave. Once I have a few trials, I may compare switching settings and/or plates.

My initial impressions with the Karve is that the plates shave with a "feeling" of one setting with the efficiency of a higher setting. I want to nail it down, more for fun, since playing with razors is fun! Seriously, curiosity is what is driving this, as I really don't see myself tossing my Slim. But who knows, when I got the Slim, I was using a Maggard Razors open comb v.2 and thought I had my razor all sorted out!

I have an M1 Slim that I havent used yet so I really have no idea how it might shave at any setting.

You know #5 on the Slim gives you a comfortable shave so phase 1 of this experiment might be to match that comfort with a single plate from the Karve.

In my own experience with Gillette TTO's, and I've used a few, they can allow the blade to chatter slightly cutting my whiskers and they have a different shave feel than a 3 piece. Less...secure or precise. Theres a disconnect between the head and the handle a 3 piece doesnt have.

Just in my own experience, I'd think it possible that a plate in the Karve that matches the comfort level of your Slim at 5, may also give you a closer shave at the same time because you might have better control or feeling of it.

I've found I dont like gap in razors, but the Slim I have is making me curious. Maybe starting my next shave I'll load a fresh Polsilver in it and give it a thorough workout for a few shaves at different settings and find out.

In my own experience with Gillette TTO's, and I've used a few, they can allow the blade to chatter slightly cutting my whiskers and they have a different shave feel than a 3 piece. Less...secure or precise. Theres a disconnect between the head and the handle a 3 piece doesnt have.

Yes, I remember following your experiments/posts regarding rigidity and the conversations between @rabidus and yourself and others. I even found my own shaves influenced by the discussions therein, and it lead to my gifting out some razors, like the Rockwell 6C. I found that the Tech is wonderful, the Old Type and New a bit too much, and that lead to another batch ending up on BST. I dabbled with the Fatips, but found I liked my Slim just a bit more than the Gentile. I found good, caring homes for my Fatips, as RAD bit me hard in December and I had to have all three types! But I did learn that the Gentile would be a good razor for me, just not now. I want to be more a minimalist than a collector, and would rather find good homes for razors not used instead of collecting a drawer full that most won't see the light of day from. Back to the point, I seem to recall in those rigidity posts mention that some of the Gillette TTOs did have more rigidity than some other razors, which for me explained why I liked my Slim's shaves more than the Rockwell's shaves.

Even with one face and one razor there have been variables I hadn't imagined when I made the switch from cartridges to DE: technique and angle. I was trying different razors and blades and soaps and brushes, and the whole time I am learning technique. I recall the awe and delight when I picked up my Tech for a mild weekend shave and had a closer shave than most workdays! "What the heck?!" I thought. And it slowly sunk in, I had learned to shave better! So if I can assume as givens a constant technique, and that I hold the angle in a similar fashion, I should be able to shave comparatively!

Thanks, Mike, for the advice!

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Eric,

I've done the comparisons all sorts of ways and don't much think it matters as long as you don't go long between the comparisons. Half and half works. One pass with one and the second pass with the other works if you do a vice versa the next day. Etc. It's pretty easy to tell as long as you don't vary other things which should remain constant particularly the blade and soap and lather and prep.

I have a Slim but haven't used it yet.

I've noticed, too, that we learn to shave better which changes a lot, but not everything. Some razors simply suit me better. Not that I like them better, but the suit my skin and beard combination better.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Back to the point, I seem to recall in those rigidity posts mention that some of the Gillette TTOs did have more rigidity than some other razors, which for me explained why I liked my Slim's shaves more than the Rockwell's shaves.

You're welcome Eric!

Have some more! lol

I chose to use my Regent with Feather blades during the FFFMM thread. One kit for one month. During that time I got to know my Regent really well, and I had some issues with the blade chattering in it. I tried a couple different things to enhance the rigidity of it, and it worked.

Fresh Feather blade. I borked the one I had loaded trying to fix ...I mean BOSCify...my Regent lol.

47 hours since last shave.

Face lathered the Tabac again tonight. The more I do that the more I like it.

First pass WTG/XTG followed my XTG/ATG and then straight ATG. No buffing. One very small clean up on my neck j hooking.

Finished with a very nice, very comfortable, BBS finish.

No tugging. No skipping. Very little audible feedback. No blood. No irritation.

I declare this Regent fixed err BOSCified!

You can see what I did below,

My Regent...

I tried the rubber strips on the blade tray as seen below.

That caused a problem. They're too thick and the blade binds against the edge of the door upon closing.

To solve that issue, I did this.

The black tape is considerably thinner than the rubber band, but it may just be thick enough. The razor does feel like it tightens against that thin material, so I guess the only way to find out is to find out lol.

The blade tray is flat and as the razor closes the blade tray rises forcing the blade against the doors giving it its curve.

The two very small points marked in red are the only places the blade is clamped. Only at each point, not between each point. Basically a corner of the blade tray and again at the edge of the door.

IMG_2446.jpg IMG_2447.jpg

In the next picture, the lower green line would be roughly where the blade is when the razor is fully closed. The upper green line is roughly the inside surface of the doors. The space between is airspace. No blade support.

@AimlessWanderer Heres another example of The Squiggly Green Line™ lol.

Regent.jpg

Because that razor only has two very small points for bearing surfaces of the blade between tray and doors, combined with the more than generous blade exposure it offers, when I use that razor the blade can chatter. This is also why I believe these particular early Gillette TTO's to be so much more audible or noisy shavers. The center of the blade chatters against the inside of the doors and the head basically acts like an echo chamber.

The result of the tape strips was to eliminate that airspace, and it works to a point but the blade tray is still essentially flat. Hence the line in my sig where Jim and I had a good laugh about what exactly I was trying to accomplish lol.

sunset-over-water-allen-carroll.jpg

All of that brings me to my Slim. As I said I havent had a close look at it yet, but I did notice that 1/2 turn needed to lock the razor closed. That may increase the rigidity of the blade a great deal.

I'll study that razor over the next few days.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
@AimlessWanderer Heres another example of The Squiggly Green Line™ lol.

:D

You should patent that! (I can just imaging the looks of confusion at the patent office) :p

I'm doing a bit of my own improvisation this evening. I've made a strop for my Wilkinson Empire, but the tapered section isn't thin enough, or stiff enough, to let me poke it through the guide rails. Currently abusing it with hot water, heat, spring clamps, and a rolling pin....

Top Bottom