What's new

Pipe Engineering - Short stem pipes will smoke hot

Short stem pipes will smoke hot because your mouth is closer to the heat source.

Look at the classic designs and you'll never see short shank / stem pipes.

Just saying..

Mike H

Instagram Famous
I picked up this cool looking Armellini earlier this year. Stem is too short to clench and I burned my tongue the two times I smoked it (first and last).

proxy.php

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I picked up this cool looking Armellini earlier this year. Stem is too short to clench and I burned my tongue the two times I smoked it (first and last).

proxy.php

What did you smoke in it? Sometimes an English or a blend with less Va’s will burn cooler.

What did you smoke in it? Sometimes an English or a blend with less Va’s will burn cooler.
Thats pretty much what I do. If a pipe with shorter stem smokes warmer then I usually smoke english stuff in it primarily. But I have had longer stem pipes be warm too. Probably has to do with how I smoke them and the moisture of the tobacco. I bad about not drying it and smoking it wet lol.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
My Heinemann Tuban is pretty darn short and it smokes cool as long as I remember to take slow sips. No Latakia in that pipe either.

That's odd. Plenty of small group 3 type pipes in my collection. Some are shorter than five inches in length. None smoke hot.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Interesting subject to me. Thinking out loud. A longer stem might help but if it is a narrow wider stem it probably does not have a chance to cool things down much. Perhaps a combination of a wider bowl, and stem would cool things down . . . then again some tobacco is moist . . .

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Does the Tuban have a calabash stem?

Sent from my LG-M255 using Tapatalk

My particular one doesn’t. I don’t find the briar reverse calabashes to smoke that much differently, though the metals ones seem to condensate more of the moisture.

Posted this because I couldn't help noticing the latest trend of short shank / stem pipes on SP.

Give me a Canadian any day.

Top Bottom