What's new

What happened to Robert Becker the scuttlemaker?

Recently a friend of mine (a brush and mug guy) noticing my old Becker scuttle asked me why I kept a tea kettle in my bathroom. I explained to him that it was a scuttle and demonstrated it's use.
I decided to get one for him as a gift. When I tried to find Beckers website "Feats of Clay" it is down. I recalled he also had an eBay store but it's gone too.
Does anyone know the story behind the disappearance of RB and his products. I recalled they were inexpensive and a bit primitive (which was part of their charm) and worked well.

Any other owners feel free to post a pic as he had some unusual glazes and did custom work upon request.

Here's mine. Notice it has a regular spout instead of the usual round hole and plastic stopper. I think it was called Cactus Sand:

IMG_2689.JPG

Yeah I think he's been inactive for a while, which hopefully is just a personal decision and not an indication of anything having happened to him.
My RB brush scuttle is the most-used item in my den, every day pretty much. I agree that they have a rustic charm which I think is cool, not sure if it shows up well in the photo below but the bottom of mine has 'RAB' and '11/2010' inscribed.
IMG_3078.JPG
IMG_3081.JPG

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Yeah I think he's been inactive for a while, which hopefully is just a personal decision and not an indication of anything having happened to him. [...]
jesseix:
proxy.php
...I heard that also...he's taking a well deserved 'sabbatical' and enjoying his retirement.
proxy.php
proxy.php

Having said that, I'm totally satisfied with my 'Catcus Sand' Medium Scuttle with a lid he made me a while back (although I'm a 90% face latherer).
proxy.php

472405-6f7546f7eeab2470af8aff1d997c7c0e.jpg
472404-a96a51b75f79e97b1dbf71646ce7179b.jpg
472406-50643f7ae1fca591d9172ae77a2cec9e.jpg

I replaced the original rubber stopper with a wine cork (perfect & tight fit), because at times...the rubber stopper would 'pop' inside the Scuttle (no problem fishing it out), due to the pressure/steam from the hot water, but I've found that using a wine cork works much better in keeping the heat in the scuttle, plus it looks 'cooler' :thumbsup:

proxy.php
"Your life is [like] a piece of pottery, don't let anyone else mold it for you". Author Unknown

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
BTW, anyone hear from Robert lately?
proxy.php

proxy.php
"Pottery… is a practical and lasting form of art. Not everyone can afford original paintings, but most people can
afford pottery". Susie Cooper

Last edited:
Top Bottom