What's new

Williams Soap, is it me or what?

I bought several pucks over the years and throw out Williams after a few weeks.

I have read about many methods on how to properly prepare a puck of Williams shaving soap. Soaking your brush, soaking the puck by putting tablespoons of water on the puck and letting it sit for awhile, placing a couple drops of glycerin on the soap, mixing in a shaving cream, blah, blah, blah, blah.

Due to the same passion we share, I too have tried these methods and have produced an acceptable lather. However, if you were to spend a couple bucks more, you could easily build a better lather/shave without having to go through these motions.

In my opinion, for a couple dollars more, Florena, VDH, KMF, etc. all produce a much better shave than Williams - without having to put an eye of newt and toe of frog in your shaving routine.

RJ

I guess I'm going back to my roots. I find myself using and liking Williams about four days a week. I have Tabac, Harris,Valobra, MWF, and I keep grabbing the mug of Williams. No additives-- just lather and go.

Please tell what's the color of your Williams soap. About five years ago I bought 14 or fifteen pucks of Williams', and they were all white. White as snow.

Being on my last puck these days, and inspired by a thread "Week of Williams'..." I grabbed a puck in a local drugstore and found the new puck to be quite yellowish. Two days ago I grabed another puck, and that one is yellowish too.

Either they reformulated the soap in last five years, or I got a bad batch... something wrong in a process of manufacturing, or maybe improper storage ? I can't tell, I don't know. But I remember very well that every puck of Williams soap I bought years ago was pure white.

Are there long time Williams' users who can chip in here, either confirm the soap is reformulated, or tell I incidentally stumbled upon two bad pucks. I didn't try to lather the new yellowish pucks yet, still have some old WIlliams in my mug. Thank you.

Go figure...the soap most readily available to all in the US at just about every CVS, Walmart or Target and its a tough lather!

Please tell what's the color of your Williams soap. About five years ago I bought 14 or fifteen pucks of Williams', and they were all white. White as snow.

Being on my last puck these days, and inspired by a thread "Week of Williams'..." I grabbed a puck in a local drugstore and found the new puck to be quite yellowish. Two days ago I grabed another puck, and that one is yellowish too.

Either they reformulated the soap in last five years, or I got a bad batch... something wrong in a process of manufacturing, or maybe improper storage ? I can't tell, I don't know. But I remember very well that every puck of Williams soap I bought years ago was pure white.

Are there long time Williams' users who can chip in here, either confirm the soap is reformulated, or tell I incidentally stumbled upon two bad pucks. I didn't try to lather the new yellowish pucks yet, still have some old WIlliams in my mug. Thank you.

The puck I picked up at a CVS in Morgantown last week was white as white can be.

My puck is kinda off-white I would say.

Mine is slightly off-white, too. I think they use titainium dioxide to whiten the puck. I suspect it may vary, batch to batch, lot to lot.

-- John Gehman

Top Bottom