What's new

GEM Carbon Steel Blades

I bought some of these from Tryablade and I like them. I inquired about what the model number was for them thru Tryablade but unfortunately I never got a reply back. I'd really like to buy a 100 pack of these but I'm not sure which ones they are from a model / part number standpoint. I'd also like to get them at a lower cost if possible. If anyone could chime in that does know what model or part number these blades are I'd very much appreciate any information you can provide. Thanks

CVS or Rite aid brand GEM blades are carbon. Walgreen's sells stainless steel blades.

Be careful buying blades from Amazon, some are not meant for shaving.

The Gem carbon steel blades are commonly sold as Gem Blue Star. I see them on Amazon or in the local stores all the time. I personally like those blades better than the stainless steel blades because they hold an edge better and is slightly stiffer, making for a smoother shave. Care must be taken with them as they will tarnish and rust easily and do not last as long as the stainless steel ones. If you got a OneBlade, the carbon steel blades are easier to modify as the notch you punch out on the ends will snap off cleanly while the stainless steel blades will sometimes bend instead of cutting off.

I can't give you a part number for GEM carbon blades but I can give you a part number for PERSONNA (Pal) carbon blades in 100 blade blister pack. They work better for me, but YMMV. Part # 62-0177. At times, I see them on Ebay for $12 shipped, which is a good price.

Ted Pella sells GEM carbon steel 3-faceted blades in bulk; they also carry 3 facet PAL SE carbon blades. Gem, PAL, and Treet SEs are produced by the same manufacturer in the same plant.

Thanks everyone for the links and the great information. Below is a PDF from some of the 2016 product offerings. In part it led to my confusion as to what blade I was using. This is due to the fact that there are several Carbon blades listed in it. I'm sure I'll come up with something. Thanks Again :thumbsup:

Attachments

• AccuTec-catalog-Personna-Specialty-Blades-2016.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 19
I tried a Treet carbon steel SE blade this morning. I had placed the blade in my GEM Jr last week. I found that the body of the blade had corroded from the humidity, but the blade edge had not.

It was a perfect shave for me. DFS+, no soreness, no irritation. I dried the blade and the inside of my GEM.

Now I'll see how long this blade can last.

This is the first carbon steel blade that has had any rust issues for me, but it did not show inside my razor, and it was not on the blade edge.

Shave 2 was also very good with the Treet carbon steel SE blade. The body of the blade had more corrosion on it, even after drying the blade and razor thoroughly. It did not extend to the blade edges, so there was no effect on the quality of the shave.

I did order some PAL and GEM blue blades to try. It is so nice to be able to shave with my beloved GEM 1912 again!

The PAL blades have a black coating on the body of the blade.

The spine of the PAL, the GEM Blue Star, the Treet ,and the CVS carbon steel blades all have the same marking on them: 009-RD.

I haven't shaved with the PAL or GEM Blue Star yet, but the Treet and the CVS carbon steel blades could not shave any more differently. The Treets are very pleasant, smooth and sharp, shavers. The CVS blades are pretty harsh.

Had my first shave with the SE PAL blade this morning , I will take a few more shaves before I review the blade which I'm sure is an unbranded 009-RD GEM....Edgewell of Connecticut now owns rights to the GEM - PAL - WILKINSON and PERSONNA brands are manufacturing blades for all of these names... Edgewell Personal Care - Brands ...............

I tried a Treet carbon steel SE blade this morning. I had placed the blade in my GEM Jr last week. I found that the body of the blade had corroded from the humidity, but the blade edge had not.

It was a perfect shave for me. DFS+, no soreness, no irritation. I dried the blade and the inside of my GEM.

Now I'll see how long this blade can last.

This is the first carbon steel blade that has had any rust issues for me, but it did not show inside my razor, and it was not on the blade edge.

Thanks for the Info on the Treet Blades. I've never tried them but I might in the future.

The PAL blades have a black coating on the body of the blade.

The spine of the PAL, the GEM Blue Star, the Treet ,and the CVS carbon steel blades all have the same marking on them: 009-RD.

I haven't shaved with the PAL or GEM Blue Star yet, but the Treet and the CVS carbon steel blades could not shave any more differently. The Treets are very pleasant, smooth and sharp, shavers. The CVS blades are pretty harsh.

I've also noticed the 009-RD stamping on several of the blades you have mentioned. I agree the CVS blades are terrible.

Had my first shave with the SE PAL blade this morning , I will take a few more shaves before I review the blade which I'm sure is an unbranded 009-RD GEM....Edgewell of Connecticut now owns rights to the GEM - PAL - WILKINSON and PERSONNA brands are manufacturing blades for all of these names... Edgewell Personal Care - Brands ...............

Thank you for the information. I've also noticed the same thing in regards to Edgewell on the packaging for several different SE Branded Blades.

I used a PAL SE blade today. This blade has a black coating on the body of the blade, much like the Treet "black beauty" DE blades. It seems to prevent the body of the blade from rusting.

I found the PAL blade to be as smooth and sharp and forgiving as the Treet SE blades. I will use this blade for as long as I can stand it, then I will report again. If these blades stay consistent, they would win out over the Treet SE carbon blades because they do not rust/corrode on the body of the blade. The Treet blades have been fantastic for me, but I can only get 3 shaves out of them.

Shave 3 with the PAL SE blade. No corrosion on the blade. It is still very smooth, but probably not quite as sharp as the Treet carbon steel SE blade.

Edgewell Personal Care was formed in 2015 when Energizer spun off all their personal care product brands into the separate company. In the same year Edgewell sold the Personna Industrial Products Division plants in Verona, VA and Obregon, Mexico which included the rights to use the Personna and GEM trademarks to private investors. The new corporation is now AccuTec Blades. Edgewell Personal Care continues to own and operate the blade factory in Israel.
AccuTec makes no mention of the PAL brand on their website but Edgewell still owns that trademark. Does the packaging on the PAL blades say where they are made?

Top Bottom