What's new

Beard care product made in Aussie/NZ

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
With winter here I've decided to grow a winter beard.
I'm on the hunt for Aussie or NZ made beard care products.

So far I picked up some Lamberts Luscious oil & Balm. As he's from Wellington, it felt good to support a local and his product seems good as well.
I've been meaning to try Lamberts shaving soap for some time. I may have to make a trip to his shop in town.

I called into the shaver shop and they have a Aussie brand, Milkman. Is anyone familiar with their oils and balms?

Does anyone have a favorite local made beard care product.
There' a lot of offering from abroad and I have some Grave Before Shave oils samples in the post but I really want to support the local guys if they are any good.

I'm quite heavily into fragrance, so my needs are for unscented oils, waxes, and balms that won't clash with perfume.

My MVP would be Beardbrand's Blank Slate Beard oil (and their mustache wax, although I tend to avoid looking overly groomed) which is pretty much scent free and absorbs very quickly into the beard. It is, however (even as their cheapest offering) rather pricey. It's now only available through Target, so perhaps I'll be able to pick it up on sale when I need to restock. If you can stomach the price I recommend most of their products, their special beard combs are great too. Of course, not a local brand.

I alternate that with cheaper oils generally in the evening or when not wearing a fragrance, my favourite local cheapie is Aoraki Naturals Face and Beard Oil, which is a very affordable $15 and contains tea tree oil which I find helps keep any flakiness under the beard in check. It's a little oilier than the Blank Slate and sits on the hairs longer, but I'm happy with its moisturising properties. The scent is a mixture of limes and woodiness. Aoraki also makes one of the few local shave soaps I've been impressed with the performance of.

Beard washes are another area where the price seems ridiculous, I've had good results using Lush's Kalamazoo Face & Beard Wash. My skin is very sensitive to most face wash products and I avoid using anything on it most days, so it's milder cleansing properties allow me to wash my face at the same time as my beard. If you use it twice a week, even the smaller pot will probably last you months. Lush are a UK company but everything sold in NZ is made in Aus I think, so not too much of a footprint on that.

I don't use balms very often as I prefer looking like a maniac, sometimes I'll use one following a wash, to keep the beard under control, so I've been slowly working away at a tin from Aus company Parker's, which is "unscented" but basically smells heavily of beeswax, it does its job but I can't recommend it. Pairs well with Imaginary Author's Cobra & The Canary though!

Fairdinks_Kraft_Vegemite_Tub_950G__38738.1438332518.500.659.jpg

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
I'm quite heavily into fragrance, so my needs are for unscented oils, waxes, and balms that won't clash with perfume.

My MVP would be Beardbrand's Blank Slate Beard oil (and their mustache wax, although I tend to avoid looking overly groomed) which is pretty much scent free and absorbs very quickly into the beard. It is, however (even as their cheapest offering) rather pricey. It's now only available through Target, so perhaps I'll be able to pick it up on sale when I need to restock. If you can stomach the price I recommend most of their products, their special beard combs are great too. Of course, not a local brand.

I alternate that with cheaper oils generally in the evening or when not wearing a fragrance, my favourite local cheapie is Aoraki Naturals Face and Beard Oil, which is a very affordable $15 and contains tea tree oil which I find helps keep any flakiness under the beard in check. It's a little oilier than the Blank Slate and sits on the hairs longer, but I'm happy with its moisturising properties. The scent is a mixture of limes and woodiness. Aoraki also makes one of the few local shave soaps I've been impressed with the performance of.

Beard washes are another area where the price seems ridiculous, I've had good results using Lush's Kalamazoo Face & Beard Wash. My skin is very sensitive to most face wash products and I avoid using anything on it most days, so it's milder cleansing properties allow me to wash my face at the same time as my beard. If you use it twice a week, even the smaller pot will probably last you months. Lush are a UK company but everything sold in NZ is made in Aus I think, so not too much of a footprint on that.

I don't use balms very often as I prefer looking like a maniac, sometimes I'll use one following a wash, to keep the beard under control, so I've been slowly working away at a tin from Aus company Parker's, which is "unscented" but basically smells heavily of beeswax, it does its job but I can't recommend it. Pairs well with Imaginary Author's Cobra & The Canary though!

Thanks Dubs. Yeah making your own beard oil sounds easy as. I'll be taking that approach at some stage.

Now ya talkin! Application is consumed on toast and comb the crumb that drop through your beard.
It also would work to make those gray hairs black. :)

Top Bottom