What's new

ATT SE2 vs ATT SE1 vs Colonial General SS

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
@davidsilva, I know exactly what you mean.

Today or tomorrow will be my first shave with the SE2, and I am getting pretty excited about it.

Good luck.

I really wanted to like it, and I could certainly shave with it. One of the guys mentioned to me his impression of it. I thought he described its shave perfectly with one word.

Harsh.

The SE2 was okay on my cheeks and not bad on my neck but my chin, lower lip, and upper lip had a time of it whenever I used the razor. I wanted to use it daily for a month and learn it but I couldn't make myself do it. It as not a fun razor for me. Not saying that means anything as applied to you because it doesn't.

The only blade I've tried in the SE2 is the Proline. I suspect it's different with the various blades. Plus, it's different with various skin and whisker combinations.

Spike, I really hope you love the SE2, and I'm pulling for you.

Happy shaves,

Jim

The SE2 was okay on my cheeks and not bad on my neck but my chin, lower lip, and upper lip had a time of it whenever I used the razor . . .

Spike, I really hope you love the SE2, and I'm pulling for you.
Thanks, Jim. As Anthony pointed out, the fact that I don't shave my chin or upper lip may mean I'm one of the people for whom this razor will actually be better than the SE1. Today or tomorrow will tell the tale . . .

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Thanks, Jim. As Anthony pointed out, the fact that I don't shave my chin or upper lip may mean I'm one of the people for whom this razor will actually be better than the SE1. Today or tomorrow will tell the tale . . .

I'll bet it's going to be great for you. I didn't see Anthony's post, nor did I know you have whiskers.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I used the SE2 for the first time this past Monday with a Feather Pro. It was certainly more efficient than my RRHawk V2. I had a few weepers and my face was actually a bit sore the next day. I am certain it was the operator, not the equipment. Next shave with the SE2, I will be more aware of letting the razor do the work, and will be a bit more cautious on technique.

I finally got around to trying the SE2 baseplate.

SE2.jpg

Like taking the training wheels off the SE1. Details are over here.

I haven't used an SE1, but the SE2 is one of my favorite razors. (Among the AC blade family, I have it tied with the Asylum RX). Just today, I used a loaned General for the first time, the black aluminum version, I think.

Based on only one shave, it appears that the General with a Proline gets along well with my face. The razor is very smooth, more so than my SE2 with a Feather Pro Super, which provides more blade feel (which I like). In the SE2, I always use a Feather Pro Super, which is too aggressive for my other AC blade razors (except the Alumigoose). I decided to use a Proline in the General because that blade doesn't get much love in my den. I like my Feathers and Kais better. The General and the Proline work well together, however, on my face.

The General is very efficient, not quite SE2 territory, but very close. As I said, I like feeling the blade, so I'll probably not take the leap to purchase a General. We'll see after I use it a few more times (including with a Pro Super). I hope you enjoy the SE2--if it seems too aggressive with a Proline, the Kai MG (with a blade guard) can calm any beast, in my experience. I use the MG frequently in my Asylum RX.
Have you compared the brass to the aluminum General? I am looking to pick up a General just to check it out prior to acquiring a SS model. I am wondering if either the brass or aluminum will do... in regard to demonstrating a good example of what the General offers.

Have you compared the brass to the aluminum General? I am looking to pick up a General just to check it out prior to acquiring a SS model. I am wondering if either the brass or aluminum will do... in regard to demonstrating a good example of what the General offers.

Leonard, I had to challenge my feeble memory to remember this whole sequence of events...

After I used the loaned aluminum General, I decided to buy one. I found one in stainless at a good price and, because I generally like my razors heavier, I went for it. I've not tried the brass version, and I have little memory of the aluminum version, but I most surely enjoy the stainless version. I still find myself using the RX and SE2 the most, but the General, the MR SE, the Mongoose and the Alumigoose also get airplay.

Interesting. I like my Vector but I think I will definitely pursue a General. I understand they will be releasing more SS models in the near, whatever that means, future. Meanwhile I will keep my eyes and ears open.

The brass General is significantly heavier than the Aluminum. The aluminum I tried was even on an SS handle and the weight difference was very noticeable. The actual shave results were pretty close to the same for me compared to the brass (I tried one that had been given a very nice nickel plating), with maybe a slight nod to the brass. However for feel of the stroke, comfort, and weight, I favored the brass. I like heftier razors.

Comparing to the Vector, it’s like the smooth ride of a Cadillac or limo to the smooth but slightly edgy ride of a Ferrari.

Interesting. I like my Vector but I think I will definitely pursue a General. I understand they will be releasing more SS models in the near, whatever that means, future. Meanwhile I will keep my eyes and ears open.

Yes, I heard a v2 General is in the works. I hope they produce and keep plenty of stock of them this time.

Top Bottom