What's new

Old Hickory Hone?

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
Anyone ever heard of one? I've heard of coticules labeled "old Hickory" and "old rock", but not Old Hickory Hone.
IMG_4085.JPG

Don't think this will help much, but I have a set of kitchen knives from the Ontario Knife Company, with hickory handles marked "Old Hickory." I do note that the label as shown above contains the word "razors" if that's any consolation.

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
I seem to remember a man-made Old Hickory hone that I owned a looooonnnnng time ago.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
The only thing I know about Old Hickory is it was a brand of inexpensive carbon steel kitchen knives we used on shrimp boats when I was a kid, and we treated them with onion juice or ospho so they wouldn't rust so easily. They were fairly soft steel but would take a very keen edge with just a few laps on a fine carborundum stone. I never knew that they made or sold their own brand of hones.

My understanding of the belgian hones marked “old hickory” is that they resemble petrified wood.
They are less dense and harder than the ones called “old rock.”

Old Hickory made a good pocket knife back in the day. Carbon steel blades, jigged bone handles, and good construction. Very old school knives without the need to look tacticool.

Top Bottom