What's new

Aristocrat Question (Production Related)

I recently picked up an Aristocrat w/ case and am a little puzzled.

This Aristocrat and case look exactly like the picture shown in the wiki razor database for a '1948-1950 style', however, it is date coded W2 (2nd Quarter of 1951). The wiki razor database states that the '1948-1950 style' was only in production those years, and thusly do not have date codes. The wiki database then skips to the '1960's style' Aristocrat with a guestimated production range of 1963-1967. These are basically a gold version of the slim adjustable.

Would my Aristocrat be called a 1950's style, or a '1948-1950 style' with a production date of 1951? The wiki razor database doesn't really specify that the Aristocrat was produced throughout the 1950's.

Thanks!

Well, that looks like a '48-'49 Aristocrat.

But none of the three that I have have date codes on them.

A pic of the baseplate with the date code would be goo, too.

The Wiki has plenty of holes. I'm sure I have heard of other early 50's Aristocrats with the date codes. The vast majority were made in the pre date code era, but limited production apparently did run into 1951 at the earliest.

The only difference I see between the pictures of my set and the pictures in the wiki are the blades. I will take & post a pic of the baseplate / date code later, as I do not have the razor or a camera on hand at the moment.

Thanks for the replies!

that sure looks like a '48 to me.

if i remember right, the earlier aristocrats have 2 decorative shiny bands at top and bottom. the later '48 has only one, and it's on the bottom as yours is. the case is also a '48 case. the earlier cases were smaller and taller.

BTW, i love my '48. a great razor. i think the notched center-bar version is a big milder than the earlier versions, which works for me. great balance and excellent grip.

enjoy!

:thumbup1:

Well, that looks like a '48-'49 Aristocrat.
But none of the three that I have have date codes on them.
A pic of the baseplate with the date code would be good, too.

Here's a shot of the baseplate:

I've seen them with the 'A' code, so they made it to '55, anyway.

IMO, these were the high-point of TTO design/manufacture. When Gillette ceased producing this design, they never again made a great razor. Good razors, yes. Great razors, no.

-- John Gehman

I've seen them with the 'A' code, so they made it to '55, anyway.

Good to know. Maybe a better name would be a '1950's Aristocrat' in lieu of '1948-1950' Aristocrat. I assume that the large number that were manufactured without date codes compared to those manufactured with date codes are responsible for the '1948-1950' monicker.

IMO, these were the high-point of TTO design/manufacture. When Gillette ceased producing this design, they never again made a great razor. Good razors, yes. Great razors, no.

-- John Gehman

Out of the several types of razors that I have used since I started DE shaving, I must confess that this razor is one fine instrument. I've used it a couple of times, and it just feels 'right' in every aspect.

Yes, surely a Diplomat. I think them equivalent, though that is not the case.

-- John Gehman

Oops.
Forget my first point in that last post then.
I'll just condider it a 1948-1950 Aristocrat with a date code in 1951.

Now I'm curious what other date codes may be out there on this style Aristocrat.

Appreciate all the feedback!

While some friends finished lunch, I strolled over to the antique store down the street. Just to kill time. Looking through stuff, I see a boxed Aristocrat. Don't really need one, but take a look anyway.

No plate loss anywhere! The thing is beautiful. And at $25 (with 40% discount for a total of $15 for an Aristocrat), who could say no?

There's a little dried soap/cream on the bottom of the base plate, so I clean it up - a little hand soap, warm water, and a soft toothbrush the base plate is as shiny as the rest.

But wait! What's this? :confused: A date code on an Aristocrat? Well, sugar my buns and call me sweet cheeks! :lol:

And a date code of V3, meaning third-quarter of 1950. Though everything would indicate that Gillette didn't restart date-coding razors until 1951. And it's upside down and on the diamond portion of the base plate!

Collect or shave? Collect or shave??? :taz:

Huh? What's that? Pictures? Oh, yeah, I got pictures!

full

full

Last edited by a moderator:
While some friends finished lunch, I strolled over to the antique store down the street. Just to kill time. Looking through stuff, I see a boxed Aristocrat. Don't really need one, but take a look anyway.

No plate loss anywhere! The thing is beautiful. And at $25 (with 40% discount for a total of $15 for an Aristocrat), who could say no?

There's a little dried soap/cream on the bottom of the base plate, so I clean it up - a little hand soap, warm water, and a soft toothbrush the base plate is as shiny as the rest.

But wait! What's this? :confused: A date code on an Aristocrat? Well, sugar my buns and call me sweet cheeks! :lol:

And a date code of V3, meaning third-quarter of 1950. Though everything would indicate that Gillette didn't restart date-coding razors until 1951. And it's upside down and on the diamond portion of the base plate!

Collect or shave? Collect or shave??? :taz:

Huh? What's that? Pictures? Oh, yeah, I got pictures!

full

full

While the commonly seen date coding with the codes in the corners did become the norm in 1951, there were "V" date coded versions of both the Aristocrat and the Super Speed produced in 1950 with the date code on the diamond part of the base. I have seen two or three of the Super Speeds, including one I know scottydoint has.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the info, AsylumGuido. I'd looked all over for info on date codes on the Aristocrat. This was the only info here or on the web I could find.

Shaved with it today (I can resist everything but temptation) and it shaves beautifully. Really remarkably nice. As good as (better than?) the British #66 I've been using religiously. Definitely a nicer shave than my preferred '46-'47 Aristocrat.

Top Bottom