What's new

Missouri Meerschaum Modification Exhibition (CobMod 2018)

Mike H

Instagram Famous
With approval from the mod team, I am pleased to announce the 2018 CobMod Exhibition.

Time to put on your thinking caps and grab a stock Missouri Meerschaum. Cut, grind, dremel, glue or paint the simple corn cob pipe into your own signature style. This is not a competition, but rather a chance to share ideas and skills.

New stems, shanks, stains or paints, are welcome. Just start with a cob bowl. Home grown cobs are welcome too.

Don't forget to wear your safety glasses, have fun, and of course, post pictures.

Mike H

Instagram Famous
Here is one I finished last week. I call it an Oom Cob Vest Pocket Fishing Pipe. :001_302:

proxy.php

proxy.php

I started with a MM bent Legend, cut the stem at a 45 degree angle and glued it back in reverse. Wood putty to the sides, stipple with a dremel, and a stain. The danish stem was easy to bend after a minute in hot water.

Last edited:

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Here is one I finished last week. I call it an Oom Cob Vest Pocket Fishing Pipe. :001_302:

proxy.php

proxy.php

I started with a MM bent Legend, cut the stem at a 45 degree angle and glued it back in reverse. Wood putty to the sides, stipple with a dremel, and a stain. The danish stem was easy to bend after a minute in hot water.

Wow, just wow! I’m in!

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!

proxy.php

proxy.php

There’s the way to set the bar.

@Mike H OH WOW! That's some sweet pipe! Any chance you tell us how you made it?
I'm a Cob enthusiast myself (currently waiting for my C&D Country Gentleman), but I have ZERO skills in modification.

What kind color can be used to color the cobs? Doens't have to be "food-save" or something? I'd love to make a proper mouthpiece on some of my cobs, but have no idea how to achieve it.

Mike H

Instagram Famous
@Mike H OH WOW! That's some sweet pipe! Any chance you tell us how you made it?
I'm a Cob enthusiast myself (currently waiting for my C&D Country Gentleman), but I have ZERO skills in modification.

What kind color can be used to color the cobs? Doens't have to be "food-save" or something? I'd love to make a proper mouthpiece on some of my cobs, but have no idea how to achieve it.

Thanks. Food safe is preferred, but used ink to stain the pipe. For stems, the forever stem from Walkers are great, but you can buy cob regular stems filter or unfilter direct from Missouri Merschaum. Cutting a new tenon or making a stem from a blank is not something a can do.

If you look under my pictures above I listed my assembly procedure.

Try something and post the picture. Looking forward to you ideas.

Sent from my LG-M255 using Tapatalk

Mike H

Instagram Famous
Here is a minimal mod. Washinton Rob Roy, bowl and shank sanded and stained. The stem was replaced with a forever stem.
proxy.php

Sent from my LG-M255 using Tapatalk

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose
I'll add that if folks want to go deep, MM cob parts are available from Aristocob. Search for cobfoolery cob kits. You can buy different bowls that haven't been drilled for a shank yet, different shanks, etc. AND, just because this place is full of guys who can't keep from doing everything 100%, Aristocob also has MM genetic seeds for growing your own cobs.

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
A couple years ago (5 after checking) I contacted MM about procuring some cob bowls for a project but without the holes drilled through the sidewall. I was told that they could be special ordered, but the bowls would cost the same as a complete pipe, and to call them to order.

I'll add that if folks want to go deep, MM cob parts are available from Aristocob. Search for cobfoolery cob kits. You can buy different bowls that haven't been drilled for a shank yet, different shanks, etc. AND, just because this place is full of guys who can't keep from doing everything 100%, Aristocob also has MM genetic seeds for growing your own cobs.
And there it is.

Now that is dedication. I'll be back in a couple years after I harvest my corn. :lol:

Mike H

Instagram Famous
Grab bag seconds should be available again from
Missouri Meerschaum Company next week.

Top Bottom