What's new

My Grande Journey

I’m caught up here. Looking forward to the (frankly bizarre) twin blade Grande shave . . . but even more:
Once I get the swing of this razor I think I might try an SE1.

Oh yeah! Waiting for the AC experience with baited breath. I vote Proline blades (natch) or maybe KAI Milds . . .

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I’m caught up here. Looking forward to the (frankly bizarre) twin blade Grande shave . . . but even more:

Oh yeah! Waiting for the AC experience with baited breath. I vote Proline blades (natch) or maybe KAI Milds . . .

Baited breath is okay Spike, just dont hold your breath lol. I'll get to it I think, but not anytime soon.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
46 hours since last shave.

Grande - Polsilver

Proraso Red face lathered with Maggard synthetic.

riqyx.jpg

I shook the brush out thoroughly before it went into the tub and I was sure I'd need to add water, but just wiping my face with a wet hand was enough. A quick rinse of the razor carried enough water to easily wake up the residual slickness, and there is a lot of it too.

This has to be the nicest soap I've used yet. Thick and rich with just the right amount of cushion to feel the blade enough to know exactly the angle I'm at. Tabac and Stirling can both hide that loaded as heavily as I loaded this morning.

@ZigZiglar. The more I use this brush the more I like it. The issue with splay against my cheek is really not an issue at all. It splays great as soon as I hit my jawline and/or chin, has really nice backbone and feels as soft as the lather itself.

It loads quickly. It generates an obscene amount of lather from very little soap and this morning I actually squeezed what was left out of it and put it back in the tub. In rinses out almost instantly and I'll bet is dry now 30 minutes post shave. Fantastic brush Zig, you've sold me on synthetics.

As usual, lather up and buff ATG for the first pass. Wipe and check, just my swirls to do. Paint lather and stroke in another direction. Wipe and check, done.

As usual, zero issues, completely comfortable, no irritation, no warmth. I do feel like I've shaved, this blade needs a couple more shaves on it.

I'm not sure what I'll try next. Polsilver Twin or load a Polsilver in my Regent and compare it to my Grande. The SE's have been moved to the back of the shelf.

46 hours since last shave.

Grande - Polsilver

Proraso Red face lathered with Maggard synthetic.

View attachment 873031

I shook the brush out thoroughly before it went into the tub and I was sure I'd need to add water, but just wiping my face with a wet hand was enough. A quick rinse of the razor carried enough water to easily wake up the residual slickness, and there is a lot of it too.

This has to be the nicest soap I've used yet. Thick and rich with just the right amount of cushion to feel the blade enough to know exactly the angle I'm at. Tabac and Stirling can both hide that loaded as heavily as I loaded this morning.

@ZigZiglar. The more I use this brush the more I like it. The issue with splay against my cheek is really not an issue at all. It splays great as soon as I hit my jawline and/or chin, has really nice backbone and feels as soft as the lather itself.

It loads quickly. It generates an obscene amount of lather from very little soap and this morning I actually squeezed what was left out of it and put it back in the tub. In rinses out almost instantly and I'll bet is dry now 30 minutes post shave. Fantastic brush Zig, you've sold me on synthetics.

As usual, lather up and buff ATG for the first pass. Wipe and check, just my swirls to do. Paint lather and stroke in another direction. Wipe and check, done.

As usual, zero issues, completely comfortable, no irritation, no warmth. I do feel like I've shaved, this blade needs a couple more shaves on it.

I'm not sure what I'll try next. Polsilver Twin or load a Polsilver in my Regent and compare it to my Grande. The SE's have been moved to the back of the shelf.
Yep. On many occasion, I have given a mere ten swirls of that brush and whipped up a decent lather. Those Plisson-type knots are excellent. Glad you like it!

I just ordered some Schicks. I'm hoping they shave well and don't bite like the Feather Professionals. I tried the Kai Titan Milds but they have some kind of strange coating that gives them a lot of friction and thus, they were always catching my skin, causing dangerous situations. Nicked myself from them not gliding properly. Which is a shame because they cut very smoothly and would make a great blade otherwise. So far, I've found that the guarded blades work best - the Feather ProGuard and the Kai TouchPro MG. But they are expensive and none of these AC blades last long. I use Schick Injector Injector blades and they are awesome so I'm hoping the long blades will be too!

Last edited:
I just ordered some Schicks. I'm hoping they shave well and don't bite like the Feather Professionals . . .

Congrats! Hope they work for you. I understand what you’re saying about the other AC blades. I didn’t have a problem with the KAI Milds, but you’re not the only one. The Proline seems to have the best qualities of the other AC blades without any of their worst qualities. I get about 10-12 shaves per blade (but I’m not shaving my whole face).

Good luck!

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Polsilver SI Twin.

48 1/2 hours since last shave.

Proraso Red face lathered. Go buy some. Dont make me tell you again! lol

I loaded a fresh blade on top of a single use blade, squared them up. Wiped my face with a wet hand and started lathering.

410928.gif

I thought I'd start a more traditional shave, WTG first pass. Starting right side, top of my side burn and stroked straight N-S. Tuggy! I did the right side of my face from top of cheek to my jawline and quite tuggy. Not comfortable at all. When I got to the side of my mouth I gave up and pulled the new blade and loaded it in my Regent for next shave.

I finished the WTG pass, lathered again and started S-N for the second pass.

I only had to do my neck after that so I started buffing ATG as usual. Finished with a nice BBS shave.

No surprises in the shave itself, but the stacking DE blades theory is gone. Curiosity satisfied.

Glad I checked in on this thread today! Would have totally missed the Polsilver Twin experiment! What if you put a shim or two between the two blades? The Schick TWIN blades have a small gap between them that is maintained by spacers on each end. You might be able to accomplish something similar with a shim. Not certain it would change the outcome though...

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Polsilver SI Twin.

48 1/2 hours since last shave.

Proraso Red face lathered. Go buy some. Dont make me tell you again! lol

I loaded a fresh blade on top of a single use blade, squared them up. Wiped my face with a wet hand and started lathering.

View attachment 873633

I thought I'd start a more traditional shave, WTG first pass. Starting right side, top of my side burn and stroked straight N-S. Tuggy! I did the right side of my face from top of cheek to my jawline and quite tuggy. Not comfortable at all. When I got to the side of my mouth I gave up and pulled the new blade and loaded it in my Regent for next shave.

I finished the WTG pass, lathered again and started S-N for the second pass.

I only had to do my neck after that so I started buffing ATG as usual. Finished with a nice BBS shave.

No surprises in the shave itself, but the stacking DE blades theory is gone. Curiosity satisfied.

BOSC.2.BladeStackerEmeritus.jpg

Polsilver SI Twin.

Once more into the abyss! Well done, sir! From the shrouded corners of pognotamous behaviour, dark and mysterious, you have shed light on an otherwise unknown and foreign realm. We are indebted to your intrepitude! Excelsior!!

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Once more into the abyss! Well done, sir! From the shrouded corners of pognotamous behaviour, dark and mysterious, you have shed light on an otherwise unknown and foreign realm. We are indebted to your intrepitude! Excelsior!!

77b50bcb3aa479c0170f61086711ca2d.600x.jpg

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
49 hours since last shave.

Gillette Regent - Fresh Polsilver. Lets see how far this blade goes...

Captain's Choice Bay Rum cream face lathered.

Yaqi Silvertip.

Now this, is a nice kit.

I shook the brush out too much and had to add water. As soon as I did the lather exploded. As I worked it, it became thinner, which I like. It was so thin it was running down the razor onto my hand and dripping onto my chest, but wow, is this cream slick.

First pass WTG/XTG and straight N-S. First my right side cheek to jawline across to the side of my mouth, then back to my earlobe stroking straight down my neck. Working across to my mouth and down my upper lip and the face of my chin. Repeat left side.

Lather again and I noticed the brush. Its not as soft as the Maggard synthetic and it has more scrub, quite a lot more, but I dont mind that and I think it may help with the shave by working the whiskers more.

The reverse of the first pass. Starting right side, base of my neck and stroking straight up S-N. First my neck both sides, then my cheeks, the face of my chin and along my upper lip XTG.

Wipe and check, my swirls needed another pass and my upper lip too. Lathered again, I have to say this cream is nice.

Straight ATG over my neck, face of my chin again and upper lip. Wipe and check and I guess I dropped the angle left side jawline so I painted it again and quick strokes for a very comfortable, very close BBS finish.

I dont feel like I've shaved. My skin is shiny the shave is so close.

I had the same experience as you Jim @Chan Eil Whiskers with your use of MdC. This Captain's Choice cream just works. I dont know why and not sure I need too, but the cream I believe is what let me have such a close shave this comfortably. Thin and damn slick.

Its been a while since I've used my creams but the performance is outstanding and a very little bit goes a long way.

I really have no idea why I bought 100 Feather blades now, only to end up with 200 over shipping issues.

I understand they now sell Feather blades just down the road a bit. Watch for the guy in sunglasses standing at the crossroads, grinning.

tumblr_lubz9saODs1qzun8oo1_1280.jpg

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
upload_2018-4-11_15-58-30.png

Glad you've managed to put up with us for a whole year, Mike.

I wish you the best of all shaves today, and for a year of shaves at least as good as today's.

Happy anniversary,

Jim

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
View attachment 874930

Glad you've managed to put up with us for a whole year, Mike.

I wish you the best of all shaves today, and for a year of shaves at least as good as today's.

Happy anniversary,

Jim

Thanks Jim!

I think you have it the wrong way around though. You're all easy to put up with. Me on the other hand...

bF0dO.jpg

I forgot to post about todays shave, which was quite nice if I say so meself.

48 hours since last shave, as of this morning when I shaved anyway haha.

Gillette Regent, Polsilver flipped. Shave two.

Maggard synthetic.

Stirling Black Cherry.

Simple 3 pass and a light clean up for the usual BBS finish.

The blade is smoother, but will be just right for next shave I think.

No issues, no warmth, no redness. All is well lol.

How far I've come in a year. Its honestly very surprising to me.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
How far I've come in a year. Its honestly very surprising to me.

Mike, you forgot to put lol at the end of your post. Maybe it is a new year and you're going to get serious about this stuff.

OMG, you might drop out of the brotherhood. Pardon me, that was just another crazy thought. Reality has returned.

BOSC.2.There are no former inmates.jpg

I wasn't around when you arrived but it seems to me you climbed the learning curve right quickly. Now that you have a full year of experience you might begin to share some of your acquired knowledge and wisdom. You're not a newbie any more, Mike.

Only 3462 and counting.

Let's get that post count up to a respectable level.

Happy shaves,

Jim

P.S. I forgot to mention that in honor of your anniversary the guys are chipping in to buy you some Feather blades and a puck of Tabac.

Top Bottom