What's new

Flat Caps

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
My cap arrived today.

I'll have a wee dram to make it feel at home. :)

View attachment 870828

I see the label says 100% Donegal Tweed, yet their web site, as well as Hatman of Ireland says.
"The tweed is Killarney Tweed and is a beautiful weight - it is heavier than the regular Donegal Tweed and is a great Winter Cap."
No problem with me which every type of tweed it is, it looks and feels great.

I do like the lining.

View attachment 870829

Hey, take the tag off first, fool. :)

View attachment 870830

Excuse the crappy photo. I really should have pulled the camera out.......what ya' do.

View attachment 870831

Chris, could you kindly tell me which exact model is your new hat? Also, is it a Donegal Tweed Flat Cap or a Dubliner Cap?

65261F3F-ED06-4157-85F3-C057B8AD8CE5.jpeg
2CEFF979-9BE8-4E7C-8989-87B30CC7CEDC.jpeg
99C16A8F-61E5-4E83-AFB8-E0192E2B11C2.jpeg

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I absolutely love this hat 100%. I've got a little Irish blood in my background, and this hat makes me look like I'm in Ireland. It's also a great attention getter for the gents that are blending in the background and not standing out the way I do.

I think the flat cap is a really great "stealth style" item for gents who want to be well dressed without going "overboard" and getting a fedora or something. It is both "basically the same" as a baseball cap, as well as a massive style upgrade on the baseball cap.

Anyone who has made it this far into this thread, and still doesn't have a flat cap ... go get one!!

I love the Flat Caps but I don't use baseball caps at all. I use Flat Caps for casual wear or anytime. They are good for any occasion.

Got one for myself and one for my nine-year-old son while in Ireland recently, from Hanna of Donegal. He got a patchwork one and looks great in it! I enjoy my grey herringbone.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Chris, could you kindly tell me which exact model is your new hat? Also, is it a Donegal Tweed Flat Cap or a Dubliner Cap?

Marco, sure my pleasure. It's a Irelander.
Tweed Hat - Irelander - Charcoal Herringbone Tweed

It can be found under the Donegal Tweed Cap listings.Donegal Tweed Caps
The Dubliner is made from Donegal Tweed.
While the Irelander is under the Donegal Tweed listing, it says that its made from Killarney Tweed.
To add to the confusion in the hat liner it says Donegal Tweed.
I assume that the wool would be from Killarney and woven in Donegal. Either way it's a nice heavy tweed.
"The tweed is Killarney Tweed and is a beautiful weight - it is heavier than the regular Donegal Tweed and is a great Winter Cap"

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Marco, sure my pleasure. It's a Irelander.
Tweed Hat - Irelander - Charcoal Herringbone Tweed

It can be found under the Donegal Tweed Cap listings.Donegal Tweed Caps
The Dubliner is made from Donegal Tweed.
While the Irelander is under the Donegal Tweed listing, it says that its made from Killarney Tweed.
To add to the confusion in the hat liner it says Donegal Tweed.
I assume that the wool would be from Killarney and woven in Donegal. Either way it's a nice heavy tweed.
"The tweed is Killarney Tweed and is a beautiful weight - it is heavier than the regular Donegal Tweed and is a great Winter Cap"

Thank you very much Chris for clearing out some confusion.

Right this afternoon I sent them an e-mail for having more precise info on sizes, too. I measured my head and got a 56.5cm in circumference. Their size Small is for 56cm and Medium is for 58cm. Which one should I get for having a nice precise fit, without being overly tight or loose? I haven't got a reply from them yet, but what are your thoughts since you already got one? I know that shipping back for an exchange is possible but would prefer to avoid all the trouble.

Right this afternoon I sent them an e-mail for having more precise info on sizes, too. I measured my head and got a 56.5cm in circumference. Their size Small is for 56cm and Medium is for 58cm. Which one should I get for having a nice precise fit, without being overly tight or loose? I haven't got a reply from them yet, but what are your thoughts since you already got one? I know that shipping back for an exchange is possible but would prefer to avoid all the trouble.
I'd go with the medium personally. The hats look odd when they are overly tight

cleanshaved

I’m stumped

When I measured my head I done it a few times making sure the tape was not too tight.
My measurements ranged between 58.5 tight and 59 to 59.25 relaxed. I went up to a size as I was over the half way point. I think it was the right decision for me.

The caps can be stretched but I don't know how much is recommended as maximum.

I bought a Boston Scully cap that was on the tight side. I was able to stretch it using this method but feel it would have been better to have gone a size up instead. With that said I'm half way between sizes.
I would say a hat too tight will give you headaches.

It will be interesting to see what they say re the sizing.
Maybe you could ask the manufacture direct. They don't sell to the public but this is their site. Hatman of Ireland - Irish Tweeds, Donegal Tweed and Celtic Tweed Hats & Caps

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
I'd go with the medium personally. The hats look odd when they are overly tight

When I measured my head I done it a few times making sure the tape was not too tight.
My measurements ranged between 58.5 tight and 59 to 59.25 relaxed. I went up to a size as I was over the half way point. I think it was the right decision for me.

The caps can be stretched but I don't know how much is recommended as maximum.

I bought a Boston Scully cap that was on the tight side. I was able to stretch it using this method but feel it would have been better to have gone a size up instead. With that said I'm half way between sizes.
I would say a hat too tight will give you headaches.

It will be interesting to see what they say re the sizing.
Maybe you could ask the manufacture direct. They don't sell to the public but this is their site. Hatman of Ireland - Irish Tweeds, Donegal Tweed and Celtic Tweed Hats & Caps

My friends, thank you for the help. And yes, I will probably go with Medium as you suggest, but want to hear their reply first.

Chris, thank you for the link above. I have just sent an e-mail to the Hatman of Ireland, too.

P.S. I measured my head again this morning and get 56cm tight (quite a bit) and 56.5cm relaxed.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
My friends, thank you for the help. And yes, I will probably go with Medium as you suggest, but want to hear their reply first.

Chris, thank you for the link above. I have just sent an e-mail to the Hatman of Ireland, too.

P.S. I measured my head again this morning and get 56cm tight (quite a bit) and 56.5cm relaxed.

Taking the advise from the vendor re the fit would be best. It will be a few days to get a reply with it being the weekend now but worth the wait to get the fit right.

Here's another cap stretching video.
This guy say's for small stretches only. eg size 7 hat stretching to 7 1/8.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Taking the advise from the vendor re the fit would be best. It will be a few days to get a reply with it being the weekend now but worth the wait to get the fit right.

Here's another cap stretching video.
This guy say's for small stretches only. eg size 7 hat stretching to 7 1/8.

I absolutely agree Chis, I will follow the advice coming from the e-mails sent.

As soon as I get these replies I will post them here as they are, hoping this could be helpful for other members, too.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Flat caps look great on the right person. Unfortunately, I'm not the right person, despite being a Yorkshireman. Wrong hairstyle.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
I have a couple hats that are ... um, that were ... too small for me. A hat stretcher has really helped that situation.

proxy.php

These guys ... Harris Tweed Strathdon cap in Traditional Harris Tweed from Harris Tweed Shop ... will custom-make a Harris Tweed cap for you out of any of their tweeds, at any 'whole centimetre' from 55cm to 65cm.

Doc, thanks for the link above. I will certainly keep it in consideration if I do not get a satisfying answer to my e-mails. However, in all honesty, I hope I will be able to buy a ready-to-wear cap, since custom made items tend to cost a lot more (see high-end shoes...).

smarte1.jpg

Today I'm wearing my Tom Smarte navy striped flat cap. This beautiful handcrafted cap has gold stripes on a navy background. It's one of the more pricey, high end flat caps on the market at $105, but it looks very nice. Made out of pure 100% silk, it's perfect for when I go out to dinner, plays and parties with my girlfriend. It's kind of thin material for cold weather. It's more of a cap for moderate temperatures.

smarte5.jpg

I picked the this particular flat cap because I wanted to get a cap similar to this one worn by actor Sean Connery.

connery.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks, Shave/Brush. I'm new to flat caps. I only discovered these beautiful caps a little over a month ago, and I've been purchasing them like crazy. Before this, I always used pomade to control my hair. Wearing flat caps makes it easy. What I like about flat caps is I look different each day when switch to a different color and slightly different style. There are so many of them, and it's kind of addicting. I can't imagine ever not wearing them from this point forward. I hate my hair, so flat caps are definitely the answer. I'm surprised at how different I look when I change the caps to a different color. It's GREAT!! The star is BORN!!!

Top Bottom