What's new

First shave with Gibbs Adjustable N17

I love aggressive razors with a lot of blade feel but I can appreciate a smooth efficient shaver as well.
After long time hunting I bought one from a member of english forum in mint condition with the original case and blades.
Yes you need to modify the blade but it only takes 5 seconds.
First stroke with the Gibbs and I hear the hair cutting but no blade feel. What a amazing shaver. I have couple of trouble spots that usually required 500 strokes to achieve BBS but with this razor it needs only two. And this is only first shave.
I put it in terms of efficiency slightly above Blackbird and iKon MRSE.
I'm a happy man.
Gibbs Razor1.jpeg
Gibbs Razor2.jpeg
Gibbs Razor3.jpeg
Gibbs Razor4.jpeg
images.jpeg
Gibbs Razor1.jpeg
Gibbs Razor2.jpeg
Gibbs Razor3.jpeg
Gibbs Razor4.jpeg
images.jpeg

Nice been looking at these today on etsy. One was like yours and another was a non adjustable. How are you moding the blade?

I saw the same exact razor with same stock packaging that went on ebay for $150+ about a week or so ago, are you the buyer? Congrats on the razor

Welcome to the Gibbs Appreciation Society. I love mine as well. Use a 1/8" circle punch.
proxy.php

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
proxy.php

2C320EDE-15EC-463A-8C4B-1748E803F626.jpeg
My absolute favorite shaving adjustable. I had 6 of them 4 #17's and 2 #15's. Thinning the den out and I just sold a #17 this past week and at first I thought it was the one I sold when I first looked at the post. OP glad you had a great shave I've had many perfect shaves with mine. They have a great balance of both efficiency and smoothness.
I've got the same hole punch and i've also used the other technique which is to just cut the ends of the blade with a pair of scissors. Both methods work and it only takes seconds.

Here’s the one I just sold last week.

Last edited:
The Gibbs 17 is superior to any adjustable DE I own, and that includes a Toggle, Fatboys, Slims, short and longhandled Black Beauties, and a Qshave Futur knockoff. I have two, both sourced from EU Ebay sites. I use the hand-punch blade mod method.

I have the #17 but am struggling with the aggressiveness. Seems like mine may be maladjusted or something. Otherwise it is gorgeous.

Would you mind taking a picture (side shot) of yours with the blade loaded and tightened up - in order for me to get a sense of the blade gap. The blade gap on mine seems too big... Thanks!

I have the #17 but am struggling with the aggressiveness. Seems like mine may be maladjusted or something. Otherwise it is gorgeous.

Would you mind taking a picture (side shot) of yours with the blade loaded and tightened up - in order for me to get a sense of the blade gap. The blade gap on mine seems too big... Thanks!

Setting 6
proxy.php
proxy.php

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hmmm. Mine is worse than yours... Yours look like mine at 1-2...

I have reached out to CAP, maybe he can help.

Thanks for taking the time to take the pics, appreciate it :thumbup1:

I didn’t want to start a new thread on this razor, so I decided to drop my thoughts here since it has the perfect title. Hoping the OP is ok with it...... :001_smile

Wow! What a fantastic shave!! Woo-Hoo! First shave with the Gibbs Adjustable No17 that I acquired over a month ago but just got around to using it. Excellent blade feel but still oh so smooth. Not the prettiest example, more user grade as it has some wear and tear to the knurling on the handle and top cap. Plus it’s missing the red level setting indicator. No biggie. Shaves absolutely perfect. For adjustable lovers, this is probably as good as it gets. Seriously, this is a must try and have razor. Just awesome! Caveat? The handle is a tad on the small side, but this thing just shaves beautifully. Only one shave in and I can honestly say it’s perhaps the best adjustable shave I’ve experienced. My Merkur Vision has been top dog in the Adjustable DE category since day one in my den, but this little guy has impressed me. Why I waited so long to acquire one is beyond me since all I have read on it from fellow users is that it’s perhaps the best de razor they’ve ever used, fixed or adjustable. My RAD kicked into overdrive and I was on the hunt for 4 months and I snatched up this guy on the EU EBay. Not a single disappointment. Yeah, I’m impressed.....

69B8A4C4-EA41-4F57-AF14-084B38F63EEC.jpeg

I didn’t want to start a new thread on this razor, so I decided to drop my thoughts here since it has the perfect title. Hoping the OP is ok with it...... :001_smile

Wow! What a fantastic shave!! Woo-Hoo! First shave with the Gibbs Adjustable No17 that I acquired over a month ago but just got around to using it. Excellent blade feel but still oh so smooth. Not the prettiest example, more user grade as it has some wear and tear to the knurling on the handle and top cap. Plus it’s missing the red level setting indicator. No biggie. Shaves absolutely perfect. For adjustable lovers, this is probably as good as it gets. Seriously, this is a must try and have razor. Just awesome! Caveat? The handle is a tad on the small side, but this thing just shaves beautifully. Only one shave in and I can honestly say it’s perhaps the best adjustable shave I’ve experienced. My Merkur Vision has been top dog in the Adjustable DE category since day one in my den, but this little guy has impressed me. Why I waited so long to acquire one is beyond me since all I have read on it from fellow users is that it’s perhaps the best de razor they’ve ever used, fixed or adjustable. My RAD kicked into overdrive and I was on the hunt for 4 months and I snatched up this guy on the EU EBay. Not a single disappointment. Yeah, I’m impressed.....

View attachment 875820
Congrats Gus on getting a Gibbs Adjustable. It has been my favorite adjustable razor from the first time I ever used one. What blade did you use and how did you modify it? Reason I’m asking is there’s two methods.
At one time I had 6 of them but I’ve been thinning the den and I wish I knew you wanted one as I sold two very very nice cased sets. Just got my user grade back with the custom handle which is another thread.

Smooth and efficient is the perfect description for the #17 or #15 as they pretty much are the same. So far the little guy has beat out the Rex, Fat Boy, Slim, Rocnel Sailor and Mergress. Also like the maneuverability of it.
Curious what setting did you use?
Oh and welcome to the Gibbs fan club!

:a14:

I like it on 6, but N also do a nice job. I bought a punch on Amazon, very easy to modify the blade.

Congrats Gus on getting a Gibbs Adjustable. It has been my favorite adjustable razor from the first time I ever used one. What blade did you use and how did you modify it? Reason I’m asking is there’s two methods.
At one time I had 6 of them but I’ve been thinning the den and I wish I knew you wanted one as I sold two very very nice cased sets. Just got my user grade back with the custom handle which is another thread.

Smooth and efficient is the perfect description for the #17 or #15 as they pretty much are the same. So far the little guy has beat out the Rex, Fat Boy, Slim, Rocnel Sailor and Mergress. Also like the maneuverability of it.
Curious what setting did you use?
Oh and welcome to the Gibbs fan club!

:a14:

Thanks amigo.... :thumbsup:
I used settings 5 & 4 as I only had 24 hours of growth. Good blade feel but just a smooth operator from start to finish. I’m running a $1 blade trial run for this month, but I just had to try this razor out. But next month, I’m using this bad boy the whole month of May. This might well be a true Giant Killer in the razor world, adjustable or fixed. It’s that good...

I used the punch below. I picked one up at an arts & crafts store for like $3. Yup, It’s a 1/8 hole punch.

76026F05-8C5B-4223-ABF5-EE8CD39DBCBA.jpeg

Thanks amigo.... :thumbsup:
I used settings 5 & 4 as I only had 24 hours of growth. Good blade feel but just a smooth operator from start to finish. I’m running a $1 blade trial run for this month, but I just had to try this razor out. But next month, I’m using this bad boy the whole month of May. This might well be a true Giant Killer in the razor world, adjustable or fixed. It’s that good...

I used the punch below. I picked one up at an arts & crafts store for like $3. Yup, It’s a 1/8 hole punch.

View attachment 876071
Hi Gus
Yeah I use the hole punch to but it’s got to be spot on or you won’t have a perfect alignment. The other method is to take a pair of scissors and just cut the end of the blade where it sticks out. Then right before you tighten it down all the way align the blade using your fingernail.
My two favorite blades in it are the Polsilver and the Kai. I use setting 5 and go down to 3 1/2 for the ATG pass. Used to just stay on 5 but as you know I skin stretch and with that set up I’m a level 2 BBS in 3 passes.

Also I know I have your address somewhere but could you send it again just in case I can’t find it I’d like to get your razors back to you.

Take care and talk to you soon.

All the best

Frank

Last edited:
Top Bottom