What's new

ATT SE2 vs ATT SE1 vs Colonial General SS

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Pajama Christmas.jpg

If it turns out to be a Clothes Christmas instead of an SE2 Christmas I have a Plan B for my Christmas shave.

MMOC.Bottom.Handle.Shine.JPG

I had no idea the GEM MMOC I acquired on ebay was going to clean up so nicely. It has turned into an early Christmas present.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I suspect both your MMOC and your SE2 will get lots of airplay. Two tremendous razors. Merry Christmas, Jim!

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Ooooo . . . SE2. Somebody was on the nice list!

Somebody was on the very, very nice list, all things considered.

Christmas2017C.JPG

My wife is big on a big Christmas. I've learned to adjust.

The brush I bought for my daughter to wrap up for me as an extra gift from her, trying to sneak it past my wife that I bought it. No such luck.

The "matches" are little alum sticks, like styptic matches.

Merry Christmas,

Jim

Today I had my first shave totally with the SE2. The report is here.

View attachment 847438

Pretty good first try.

Happy shaves,

Jim

If I’m not mistaken, you jumped straight from the General to the SE2 correct? I believe you’d find the SE1 much similar in nature to the General based on your comments from the report. Granted, it’s early but after my years of shaving with DE’s and now SE’s, my intuition is usually correct after the 1st and 2nd shave when it comes to opinions on the razors/blades that I try. Hopefully it works out in the next few weeks. If not, swap it out for the SE1 and give it whirl!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Thanks so much for your helpful comments. Much appreciated.

If I’m not mistaken, you jumped straight from the General to the SE2 correct?

Absolutely. The only AC razor I ever used before the ATT SE2 was the SS Colonial General with which I shaved about 40 or so times.

I believe you’d find the SE1 much similar in nature to the General based on your comments from the report.

I suspect you're correct. However, I need a razor more efficient than the General, thus, dissimilar.

Granted, it’s early but after my years of shaving with DE’s and now SE’s, my intuition is usually correct after the 1st and 2nd shave when it comes to opinions on the razors/blades that I try.

Mine, too.

I'm not saying I dislike the SE2. Really, I don't have an opinion on it yet, just some early observations. I expected it might take some getting used to, and have a learning curve.

I'm going to do some searching around to see if anybody uses the SE2 as a daily shaver.

Hopefully it works out in the next few weeks. If not, swap it out for the SE1 and give it whirl!

That's been my plan all along, but now it will be possible. You were probably typing while I was ordering this.

Happy shaves,

Jim

This excellent thread has grabbed my attention since I have just acquired the ATT SE pack.
I loved the Cobra Classic, thought the Asylum Rx was even better and now the SE2 has surpassed them all for smooth aggression.
With a new Feather Pro I’m very impressed with the SE2 - definitely number one heavy hitter of the Artist Club for me:
11BCF00F-A0FE-44AC-953E-D5DD3633D898.jpeg

I’m very interested to see how the SE1 performs next.
Up until now the General has been my favourite easy shaver giving me the best and smartest result quickly.
I’ve been really wowed out by everything about the General so I wonder if the SE1 can match it for smart comfortable shaving?
53D684D3-4A4C-41AB-9198-C9F4E45F7B25.jpeg

I’m very interested to see how the SE1 performs next.
Up until now the General has been my favourite easy shaver giving me the best and smartest result quickly.
I’ve been really wowed out by everything about the General so I wonder if the SE1 can match it for smart comfortable shaving?
Do keep in mind you will be comparing an aluminum head to a stainless head though... If you want a true comparison you should get the SS General. Mine is pretty much night/day difference from the aluminum head. So much so the aluminum was sold off straight away.

Do keep in mind you will be comparing an aluminum head to a stainless head though... If you want a true comparison you should get the SS General. Mine is pretty much night/day difference from the aluminum head. So much so the aluminum was sold off straight away.
Thanks - you make a really good point not to compare the Aluminium to the Stainless.
In terms of comfort and easy smart shaving the aluminium General is currently my best shaver and I really wonder if the SE1 can better it.
Do you prefer the SS General or the SE1?

I have never tried the SE1 so can't say. I have had the aluminum General and as soon as I got the SS I sold the aluminum. As I said, night/day difference... I currently have 3 razors in my rotation. Titanium Timeless .95 SB, SS General, and '61 FatBoy though the Timeless gets 90% of the shaves as it is just a superior tool and delivers that good of a shave!!

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Thanks - you make a really good point not to compare the Aluminium to the Stainless.
In terms of comfort and easy smart shaving the aluminium General is currently my best shaver and I really wonder if the SE1 can better it.
Do you prefer the SS General or the SE1?

I have more experience with the SS General than I do with the ATT SE1, so it may not be a fair, accurate comparison, but I prefer the General to the SE1. I like the SE1, too.

The head of my SS General was polished (by me) which makes a bit of a difference. It's smoother because of the polishing, I think, by a whisker or two.

I've used, so far, only the Proline. It may make a difference which blade you use. Not everybody prefers the Proline, but it seems like a lot of gentlemen do.

Happy shaves,

Jim

And the SE1 was on deck tonight:
45A35102-41C7-4A86-8ABF-87D05011112D.jpeg

A bit more aggressive than I was expecting and nothing like the Aluminium General at all!
Certainly a more relaxed shave than the SE2 and absolutely brilliant.

I’m starting to see the ATT SE as an adjustable with variable baseplate options (SE1 and SE2) a bit like the Rockwell and Supply Provision.

Marcus! You frequently surprise me!
I will be looking forward to your ATT SE reports. My impression from reading only was it is “milder” than the Cobra and Asylum RX - but I don’t own one, so I will revel in your experience! Thanks for posting!

Top Bottom