What's new

THEHTGAM/PPF/PH0ENIX/D0UGLAS/H0DGES/FRANCES Thread

M

member 119848

All the soaps from PAA that I have tried (Cad, Solstice, Frost Byte, Beach), are in my opinion outstanding.
Frost Byte being my favorite because of the nice menthol kick, but not only that, the scent is nice and clean.
I find it difficult recommending one in particular, as I´m having myself a hard time choosing which ones to order next. A lot of them seem fantastic!
Cad and Frost Byte will definately be reordered to refill my den.

So did I. Some reviewers have said they mixed and matched parts. :sigh: I'll probably put the AL one up on the BST once my ability is recharged. I like the feel of it better against my face.

Yes. FWIW I have gotten rid of every aluminum razor i have ever owned, or aluminum handled pocket knife come to think of it. I just don't like how it feels. I will say it does shave nice :).

I love the Bakelite version but not the AL. I think AL doesn't like me. I have gotten rid of every AL razor and pocket knife I owned. I just do not like how it feels against my skin. Same with AL knife scales. Its very nice looking in the Bronze Anno. The Bakelite version is fantastic tho. Gonna use it in the AM actually :D The worst part is I wanted it so bad too.

I love the Bakelite version but not the AL. I think AL doesn't like me. I have gotten rid of every AL razor and pocket knife I owned. I just do not like how it feels against my skin. Same with AL knife scales. Its very nice looking in the Bronze Anno. The Bakelite version is fantastic tho. Gonna use it in the AM actually :D The worst part is I wanted it so bad too.
I dont really notice much of a difference between the two. To me, the weight feels the same. I like them both. I love the red color of the bakelite and I love the handle of the aluminum. Its probably a good thing that the aluminum in the copper finish isnt available anymore because Id probably buy one of those too.

Definitely YMMV then. side by side the dimensions are not the same on mine. The Aluminum one will be finding it's way to another home at some point in the future i suspect.

Can’t help but revive this thread. After months using a bunch of other razors, I took my PAA DOC Evo in stainless on my road trip this week, and am reminded how awesome this thing is. Nothing gives me a closer, longer, lasting shave.

I went to the PAA website, and couldn’t find it. Has it been discontinued?

Can’t help but revive this thread. After months using a bunch of other razors, I took my PAA DOC Evo in stainless on my road trip this week, and am reminded how awesome this thing is. Nothing gives me a closer, longer, lasting shave.

I went to the PAA website, and couldn’t find it. Has it been discontinued?

I was on there also a few weeks ago and did not see it in their safety razors line up. Just the bomb tip handle that the head was paired with. A shame if it was discontinued. It truly is an amazing razor that gives an exquisite and extremely close and comfortable shave. And I agree 100% that it gives the longest lasting shave of any safety razor that I have tried, on par with the Asylum Rx SE IMHO.
Unfortunately, I’m on a business road trip and won’t be home for another 2 weeks performing installs and training. Your post amigo just got me itching to get home and grab the DOC EVO. The Barbasol disposables make due, but nothing like having a solid SS shaving tool in the hands.....
:c17: :c17:

Last edited:
I have never tried the stainless DOC EVO, but I have the 2nd gen aluminum version, red baseplate with black handle and cap. It is easily the most aggressive razor I have ever used.

I'm in on the Fixed Four for March thread, so I'll be sticking to my Timeless .95 for another two weeks, but this thread got me thinking I need to bust out the DOC EVO, which has not seen action in some time.

I was on there also a few weeks ago and did not see it in their safety razors line up. Just the bomb tip handle that the head was paired with. A shame if it was discontinued. It truly is an amazing razor that gives an exquisite and extremely close and comfortable shave. And I agree 100% that it gives the longest lasting shave of any safety razor that I have tried, on par with the Asylum Rx SE IMHO.
Unfortunately, I’m on a business road trip and won’t be home for another 2 weeks performing installs and training. Your post amigo just got me itching to get home and grab the DOC EVO. The Barbasol disposables make due, but nothing like having a solid SS shaving tool in the hands.....
:c17: :c17:

Gus, you need to place the PAA DOC Evolution in your travel kit! I plan to do so on all my out-of-town journeys in the future, but only if I know I can replace it if my luggage gets lost. Ergo, my question about whether it's still being made. Your response confirmed my fear. Carry on, friend!

I have never tried the stainless DOC EVO, but I have the 2nd gen aluminum version, red baseplate with black handle and cap. It is easily the most aggressive razor I have ever used.

I'm in on the Fixed Four for March thread, so I'll be sticking to my Timeless .95 for another two weeks, but this thread got me thinking I need to bust out the DOC EVO, which has not seen action in some time.

I've also got the red and black aluminum version, which is also amazing. I'm partial to a heavier razor, but the aluminum Evo is stunningly beautiful. And a mighty good shave.

Back in January I sent an email to PAA asking about the SS EVO since it was absent during the holidays. They responded that it is gone for good but that they were working on an improved concept in Aluminum that they hoped would be out in a month or two. That would put us around this current time frame, but you know how these things slip and always seem to take more time then originally estimated. It could have also been canned. One never knows. I just keep my eyes open.
Steve

I was originally very excited for the Stainless DOC, but then very to hear it supoosedly was more aggressive than the R41. Shame.

IMO PAA bombed with the decision to release a razor of this aggression. Not too mabm folks would be interested in that.

I was originally very excited for the Stainless DOC, but then very to hear it supoosedly was more aggressive than the R41. Shame.

IMO PAA bombed with the decision to release a razor of this aggression. Not too mabm folks would be interested in that.

Good technique and a light touch makes this razor an excellent 2 pass razor with 1 days growth or a months worth of Jeremiah Johnson's stubble. The R41(post 2011) is a great razor as is the Ikon Tech (most aggressive feeling), but the DOC EVO SS gives me almost a smooth a feeling shave as the R41 combined with just a a tiny bit less blade feel than the Tech. Yet it's more stable a platform than the both of them combined. Can you say Zero blade chatter? That can't be said about the other 2. Especially under heavy growth or super thick hair formation.

For a more experienced shaver that has their technique down from a Gillette Tech to a Wade & Butcher 17/16 Wedge, the EVO SS would be an excellent addition to that shave den. It looks intimidating, but is far from it in my experience.

Let me put it to you this way. I see double, perhaps even triple on postings for the Muhle R41 & Ikon Tech (exception the 11' R41) on the B/S/T forums than for an EVO. I can't even remember the last time I saw an EVO SS listed on any B/S/T forum. That alone should tell you something right there. When you shave with one, you don't give it up. It's a rare razor and a hell of a good one imo. Maybe not for everyone, but certainly for a select few......

Cheers

Hello,

Very sad to hear they have stopped making the S/S, aluminum DOC Razors. The S/S is probably in my top 3 favorite Razors.
I now regret not getting the aluminum one as well.

Maybe I’ll have to start Frankenrazor experiments with the Zamak DOC as a consolation.

PAA please come up with an alternative! Life’s too short for mild Razors. YMMV.

Cheers
John

Hello,

Very sad to hear they have stopped making the S/S, aluminum DOC Razors. The S/S is probably in my top 3 favorite Razors.
I now regret not getting the aluminum one as well.

Maybe I’ll have to start Frankenrazor experiments with the Zamak DOC as a consolation.

PAA please come up with an alternative! Life’s too short for mild Razors. YMMV.

Cheers
John

Amen! But for now, get those creative juices flowing on your Frankenrazor possibilities.....

download.jpeg

Top Bottom