What's new

Shave of the Week Society (SWS)

I have a boatload of soaps, creams and razors and blades and preshave, post shave products and brushes. I think I have enough to get me well into the next century. I have learned that using one soap or razor or blade for an extended period of time is really quite enjoyable. You really get to learn the qualities of a soap. Same with razors and blades. But then again I enjoy variety. I tried the soap of the month club...but one month seemed a bit long for my wandering eye. Quite the conundrum I would say. And I have quite the collection or DE, SE and SR razors...all crying out for attention!!!

So with that in mind I am creating the Shave of the Week Society. Created for a those who enjoy variety, but who also enjoy staying with one setup for at least a week. Consistently plus variety...who could ask for more?

Here is how it works: every Saturday select a soap (or cream), a razor and a blade and post in this thread. If you want to add a preshave, brush and AS or ASB for the week then all the better. (I generally like to rotate my brushes on a daily basis).

Here is my setup for this week:
Preshave: Proraso white preshave
Soap: Proraso white
Razor/blade: British Flare Tip Rocket with a Derby Extra Blade

I really like this idea, as it will help my technique and allow me to get great shaves with all my gear, instead of jumping back and forth, only really getting great consistency with one or two items.

I am currently in the FFFMM, so this will be my weekly setup for the next 4 weeks:
Razor: Slim Adjustable
Blade: Red Personna
Soap: Mike's Natural Soaps Unscented
Brush: RazoRock BC Silvertip synthetic

Thanks for starting this!

Great idea!

Preshave: none
Soap: Haslinger's schafmilch
Razor/blade: Wolfman WR1/Nacet
Brushes and AS will rotate (need a bit of variety)!

Let's see how this goes!
Welcome! Looks like a great set up there. Can't beat Haslinger Schafmilch. I generally find I like to rotate through my brushes to give them time to dry between shaves.

I really like this idea, as it will help my technique and allow me to get great shaves with all my gear, instead of jumping back and forth, only really getting great consistency with one or two items.

I am currently in the FFFMM, so this will be my weekly setup for the next 4 weeks:
Razor: Slim Adjustable
Blade: Red Personna
Soap: Mike's Natural Soaps Unscented
Brush: RazoRock BC Silvertip synthetic

Thanks for starting this!
Welcome! Looks like a great setup there...I was using my Slim for the past couple of weeks. Great razor.

I like this idea also. I have been in the Soap of the Month Club off and on. Longest has been six months straight. I am now on month 7 with the FFFMM. Will see how I feel after finishing.
With the FFFMM, my weekly setup for the next 4 weeks will be:
Razor: Gillette New SC
Blade: Rapira
Soap: Geo F. Trumpers Violet
Brush: Vie-Long horse hair re-set in an Ever-Ready handle.

Id like to do this please.
I had one shave sunday and alternate 2 days between shaves so ill continue with Sunday's if that is alright
Razor: Rocnel elite platinum
Blade: feather
Soap: Boelis Panama 1924
Brush: Rick's with the 25 fan wolf whisker (saw about being father in law of wolf whisker on the wolf whisker site and ordered it)

Id like to do this please.
I had one shave sunday and alternate 2 days between shaves so ill continue with Sunday's if that is alright
Razor: Rocnel elite platinum
Blade: feather
Soap: Boelis Panama 1924
Brush: Rick's with the 25 fan wolf whisker (saw about being father in law of wolf whisker on the wolf whisker site and ordered it)
That sounds just fine. Glad you will be joining us! I am already planning my next week's lineup.

Preshave: Proraso green preshave
Soap: Proraso green
Razor/blade: Gillette Slim with a Feather Blade
Brush: This week I will rotate through my horse hair brushes…just for a change!
And to top it off...here is a pic of my setup! Enjoy!
SWS Prorasdo Green.jpg

im sorry im going to have to fail for this week. my polsilver sample 10 pack got here and i need to try one so i can see if its worth using the discount code that expires tonight to see if im going to buy a larger quantity.

if the polsilver feels good then ill use the polsilver for next week if not then ill try a nacet for next week
more then likely according to tracking my charcoal goods l2 will be here today and if it does ill use charcoal next week
my SV 70th arrived so that will be next week along with PAA unscent pre shave soap that i got yesterday in the mail.

Proposed pending how the new polsilver feels today

Preshave: PAA unscented pre shave soap
Soap: SV 70th
Razor/blade: Charcoal goods with polsilver / if the polsilver sucks then nacet
Post: thayers, stirling dunshire balm and SV mango butter if i get a burn spot with the new blade and razor
Brush: will be either my Ricks brush with the wolf whisker fan or my Viking's Blade Dark stallion (only my softest do i plan on using with my boellis or my SV soaps to keep the soft luxury mood)

im sorry im going to have to fail for this week. my polsilver sample 10 pack got here and i need to try one so i can see if its worth using the discount code that expires tonight to see if im going to buy a larger quantity.

if the polsilver feels good then ill use the polsilver for next week if not then ill try a nacet for next week
more then likely according to tracking my charcoal goods l2 will be here today and if it does ill use charcoal next week
my SV 70th arrived so that will be next week along with PAA unscent pre shave soap that i got yesterday in the mail.

Proposed pending how the new polsilver feels today

Preshave: PAA unscented pre shave soap
Soap: SV 70th
Razor/blade: Charcoal goods with polsilver / if the polsilver sucks then nacet
Post: thayers, stirling dunshire balm and SV mango butter if i get a burn spot with the new blade and razor
Brush: will be either my Ricks brush with the wolf whisker fan or my Viking's Blade Dark stallion (only my softest do i plan on using with my boellis or my SV soaps to keep the soft luxury mood)
No such thing as a fail! We always need to be flexible and sometimes the wind catches our sails and takes us in a different direction...I say go with the flow. And a package arriving in the mail is always a good excuse to take a day off and try the new stuff! That is the true spirit of the Shave of the Week Society!

For the next week:
Wolfman WR1 razor
Silver Star blade (new to me)
Cella soap
Assorted brushes and AS (need a few changes!)

well the first shave with the charcoal and the polsilver was a success in my book so:
charcoal goods with polsilver
SV 70th soap
preshave soap unscented
thayers and then post balm dunshire from stirling or SV mango butter if needed

Awesome idea to do the same setup weekly. I'm doing the same thing for the entire year of 2018, but on a monthly basis. Like you said, consistency plus variety. Best of both worlds!

No such thing as a fail! We always need to be flexible and sometimes the wind catches our sails and takes us in a different direction...I say go with the flow. And a package arriving in the mail is always a good excuse to take a day off and try the new stuff! That is the true spirit of the Shave of the Week Society!
This is what makes me smile and happy to participate!

Sent from my Samsung using Tapatalk

This past week involved what I call up-shift shaving with my Slim. 6 or 7 shaves starting at one setting, and moving up for the next pass. This week I am down-shifting. Shortly after getting my Slim, it became my preferred method. Now, almost two years later, I am revisiting the idea and seeing if it still holds true (for me!)

Here is my setup for this coming week:

Preshave: Hot wet facecloth (part of my preshave experiment)
Soap: MWF
Brush: I have three badger brushes…so I will rotate among these
Razor/blade: Schick Type – G / Schick injector blade

Enjoy the week gents!

im still undecided.
I think I'm going with my timeless .68 scallop. but have not decided if I'm going to go week 2 into using polsilvers since I'm new to them. or if I should maybe go to the red box personna. that might be a game time decision as I put the blade in the razor.

I have some new stuff upcoming so I don't know about the soap either.
ill start with mwf. but I have atomic rum combo with the jug coming, along with oleo duck soap and a wholly kaw donkey milk coming. I will be changing to which soap comes first for the upcoming week.
if the oleo carribean comes first, ill be using my stirling bay rum balm and aftershave until the atomic comes
if the wholly kaw lav sublime comes ill be using my mita balm and aftershave

update i stopped by the local shave and beard shop on the way home from work
This next week will be

on a bay kick

unscented stirling soap if i face lather or stirling bay rum pre shave oil if i bowl lather
Barrister and Man Bay Rum
timeless blade TBD
thayers (when my stirling bay rum witch gets here im going to "spike" the thayers bottle
stirling bay rum balm

Top Bottom