What's new

Most comfortable blades

I am wondering, with all your experience with DE shaving, what blade you would consider to be the most comfortable how there. Being fairly new to DE shaving, I've only tried Astra SP and Feather. The Feather blades are pretty sharp but not that comfortable and the Astra are a little more comfortable/irritation free in my opinion. But I'd like to know your take on that as my skin, specifically the neck area, is prone to irritation and I'd like to try new blades!

No rules here. Only you can understand which blade is good for you. So try as many as you can, improve your technique and decide. Most people buy a blade sample.

Personally I would suggest to try with Gillette blades and find out by yourself.

Yes indeed ! The only way to find out what's comfortable for you is to try a sample pack and see what works best for your face, in your razor(s), and with your technique. But don't go crazy ... trying a 5 blade tuck of only five different brands should be sufficient in the beginning. If you like the Astra, you may also be happy with Gillette Nacet, Israeli Red Personna, Voskhod, and PolSilver. Have fun exploring, and welcome to this wonderful hobby and B&B !

I have over 800 blades, about 12 different brands. The only blade I can the difference is the Feather. Might be your skin type or your technique. From what I remember when I started shaving you had 1 razor 1 soap and Gillette blue blades. You just had to adjust your technique. That was back in 1958. I have 18 razors, 22 soaps and 800 blades..
If my dad saw this set up of mine......

Sent from my QTAQZ3 using Tapatalk

Israeli Red Personna were always most comfortable for me but not the sharpest. Now Gillette Silver Blue and Pol Silver SI are my favorites. Everyone has to find there own though as you'll learn.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I would just buy these in single tucks (five blades to a tuck) Personna reds(10 blades to a tuck), Nacet, Astra SP, Astra superior stainless, Gillette silver blue, Gillette 7 oclock super stainless (green),Voskhod.Razor Blades – ItalianBarber
This will get you in the ball park and is a good sampler for around $20.00 US. There are other suppliers like Maggards and westcoast shaving and shave nation.

I would just buy these in single tucks (five blades to a tuck) Personna reds(10 blades to a tuck), Nacet, Astra SP, Astra superior stainless, Gillette silver blue, Gillette 7 oclock super stainless (green),Voskhod.Razor Blades – ItalianBarber
This will get you in the ball park and is a good sampler for around $20.00 US. There are other suppliers like Maggards and westcoast shaving and shave nation.

Good recommendation. For me, I add Kai to the list. They are now my go-to.

A blade sampler is a the best place to start. When I was new Voskhod seemed to be very smooth compared to most, but ironically now that I’ve developed good technique I don’t care for them. Same goes for Derby. I find just about any other blade from PPI is more comforable than Astra. Gillette Silver Blue would be a good one to try. If you can get Personna med preps in a sampler they’re not only sharp AND smooth, but one of the best blades period IMO. These are all in an Edwin Jagger razor, and yes the razor will usually make a difference. Part of the fun of learning to shave the traditional way is finding that blade you love in your particular razor, which will probably change as your technique improves, so enjoy the journey.

Bonsoir Maxime.
What razor do you use?

Bye,
François

Bonsoir!

I use a Rockwell 6S and a Merkur Futur. The Futur being the razor I started DE shaving with and the Rockwell being my "daily" razor (every other day in fact). Although I love the Futur, getting the 6S was quite an upgrade as the shave is so much more comfortable and smooth than with the Futur! And plate R5 gives me a sure shot at BBS without too much irritation.

Being in Canada, I will look at Fendrihan for this. I think they do have those!

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Being in Canada, I will look at Fendrihan for this. I think they do have those!
I believe that is a good company also Fendrihan and they have been around for a while, I think Italian barber is also a Canadian company based in Windsor area.

Already seen these recommended once each above, but I will stress them.

I find both GSB & KAI to be wonderfully smooth. From my experience, and from feedback I've seen around the forum, I think both should be tried when looking for a smooth blade.

For maximum comfort/forgiving blades, I've found rapira/voskhod to be great on the cheap end. On the over a dime/blade range, the polsilver/ gillette silver blue are even better. I still find the astra sp to be the best bang for the dollar though.

Results of course vary by user

Everyone has their own face/razor/beard/technique, so it’s hard to know what will work best for you. For me it was KAI Stainless Steel and Polsilver SI. Click on link in signature for more info if you want.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
As already most correctly stated: you'll have to experiment.

For me they would be PolSilver SI and Med Prep.

+1 for the afore mentioned sample packs. You need some time to revisit blades before you can tell what you want to settle on.

I came back to Personna Lab Blue after trying many other blades for over a year and I must say it's even better than I remember. The first 2-3 shaves are very good, but after that it smooths out so nicely and is just amazing for me.

Top Bottom