What's new

Cleaning Vintage Brushes

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
What's the consensus concerning cleaning brushes previously used by someone else.

Boars? Badgers? Synthetics?

I've previously used Barbicide for five minutes on badgers to no obvious ill effects, but badgers are not boars. Boars absorb liquid.

Now I have two boars to deal with. Nice boars, I think.

I know various people here, such as Joel @Johnnynroy, are more recent on their microbiology and infectious disease information and practices than the rest of us, so I'm hoping for actual expert opinion as well as opinion by those who don't know (such as me).

Thanks, and happy shaves,

Jim

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I recently experimented with some 99% rubbing alchol on my synthetics and seemed not to changed anything.
I put them in a mason jar up to about where the knot goes into the handle for about 3-4 minutes.
I was talking to someone on another thread about doing this, had to experiment of coarse!
I noticed afterwards a day or 2 later the fragrance of soap was still there, so I have no idea how effective it would be, I do not know if a natural hair brush were the whiskers I believe are hollow would damage the brush.
It gave me a sense that it was clean, that is what is important also.(anti bacterial soap might work better on a natural brush.)

Last edited:

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
I do a spa day in a solution of warm water and Borax then dry and put in service.

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
Just shampoo with a good dish detergent, like Dawn. Squirt a little in your palm, work up a lather, then rinse really well. IMO no need to let it sit overnight as some recommend.

I have spent the better part of two hours now investigating what I could find on disinfecting brushes. Short version: quite difficult to sterilize the way we do razors. Chemical treatment seems less advised than the easily available hot water and soap. Link to a WHO report on water temperature and its ability to kill various bacteria for various periods of time. All enteric pathogens unfortunately. Still difficult to find the truly best method. Give me another day as I think I'm close to finding the guidelines regarding temperature to inactivate certain viruses.

After hitting it with something like dawn and borax, I have actually begun to whip up a bowl of lather with a nice smelling shave cream. For some crazy reason, EVERY SINGLE OLD BRUSH I HAVE BOUGHT HAS STUNK. Not just some, but all of them. Even over lunch(at home) I started messing with a blended knot and separated the ferrule and the handle to access the bottom of the knot, and there was the funk. I'm talkin' George Clinton-Style.
Those dried up samples are seeing some fine and necessary work these days.

I have spent the better part of two hours now investigating what I could find on disinfecting brushes. Short version: quite difficult to sterilize the way we do razors. Chemical treatment seems less advised than the easily available hot water and soap. Link to a WHO report on water temperature and its ability to kill various bacteria for various periods of time. All enteric pathogens unfortunately. Still difficult to find the truly best method. Give me another day as I think I'm close to finding the guidelines regarding temperature to inactivate certain viruses.

If this is a concern, there are plenty of anti-bacteria soaps available, just make sure you use it. Working in ER's, ICU, and CCU's we were exposed to all kinds of junk, but we washed our hands for 20-30 seconds(Slowly sing the ABC Song), and we were good to go, as were the patients we interacted with.

Last edited:
SynergyLabs Veterinary Formula Clinical Care Antiseptic & Antifungal Spray for Dogs and Cats; 8 fl. oz. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0037Z6VLM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_4zINAbENE37SR

Would something like this work for killing yucky things?

I bought this for my dog who had a bad case of the itches. It cleared him up right quick. Smells good too. I used it on a brush without any damage. In fact I think it conditioned it nicely. Has aloe in it.

I hope it kills bad stuff. Not for nothing, I've seen some ugly warts. Like guys who have a face for radio. That's a virus right? I'd like to avoid catching that.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
upload_2018-3-6_8-18-51.png

Anybody try this Ship-Shape brush cleaning product, link. Information found via this link to the manufacturer says it's for "pre-cleaning tools before immersing them in a disinfectant," so I guess it won't do what I want.

Here is a very interesting old thread, link, on brush cleaning, but I don't see the definitive information there. Maybe I missed it.

Now that I think about it, my sister gave my wife a makeup brush cleaning kit for Christmas. I think I’ll ask her about it this evening.
However, I will operate under the impression that if a member was selling a brush here, they would not do so if there were possible issues. Auction & craft/resale sites could be a different thing altogether.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Now that I think about it, my sister gave my wife a makeup brush cleaning kit for Christmas. I think I’ll ask her about it this evening.
However, I will operate under the impression that if a member was selling a brush here, they would not do so if there were possible issues. Auction & craft/resale sites could be a different thing altogether.

Possible is an interesting word.

I would hope that no member would subject any other person to known issues. I'm not worried about issues particularly, but just trying to be prudent and careful. I would expect anyone else to do the same with any previously used by somebody else shaving equipment.

Happy and safe shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
This article may not answer all the questions. It's not even about brushes. However, it is germane to this discussion I believe, and it's an interesting read.

Here's the link.

Doesn't the information in the article have application to this discussion? Particularly to the point of view that you can buy a vintage razor, wash it with Dawn a couple of times, and not worry about it. At least that's how I read the information.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I use Brush Rejuvenator from Declaration Grooming. Works for me.

A good product for cleaning no doubt but not something which gets the germs and virus left behind by someone else (or you, for that matter). Interesting write up by the vendor on what the product does, and how to clean equally well without the product.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Interesting, excellent article about Barbicide and its history, linked.

In spite of the photo in its first post, this is a useful B&B thread on using Barbicide with shaving brushes, link.

I see several places that Barbicide's main competitor suggest using their product, Marvicide, on brushes.

This from the Barbicide website, link, is worth reading. Notice they mention brushes.
Important clarification: On Products>Barbicide Concentrate (the product I have), they mention specifically "plastic combs, brushes..." I do not believe this would include animal hair brushes. Synthetic brushes might be able to be cleaned by Barbicide.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Important clarification: On Products>Barbicide Concentrate (the product I have), they mention specifically "plastic combs, brushes..." I do not believe this would include animal hair brushes. Synthetic brushes might be able to be cleaned by Barbicide.

Oh, I agree. I think they mean synthetic brushes.

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
I agree, @Chan Eil Whiskers. I've heard many warnings against Barbicide for sterilizing Badger brushes, but supposedly MarvyCide is O.K.
I'm still with those who believe that a good mild dish detergent is the best way to clean a brush.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
This is interesting. From an old book I have, Standardized Barbers' Manual, and found online, too. So, here's the link. I think this material is on page 112.

STERILIZING COMBS AND
BRUSHES

Combs, brushes and like in-
struments should first be washed
with soap and water. Common
laundry soap will do if you have
no other, and then dip instru-
ments into the following solu-
tions. The favorite solutions are:

10% solution of carbolic acid.

This is made by adding

Liquid carbolic acid, 1 part.