What's new

What Was Your Beard and/or Moustache Oil or Balm Today ?

I also get hints of spice with it as well. It’s great stuff. The Premium Oil is quite nice as well. Cheers.

They're on my short list, along with Artius Man's Spiced Latte oil and balm. I'm planning on shaving off the beard March 1st to get ready for Spring so haven't decided if I want to invest in more beard products now or wait until next Fall's beard. Recently started honing my own straights as well, I'm getting really smooth, comfortable throat shaves but I'm anxious to find out how well my edges perform in a full shave - minus the cookie duster, that's staying.

9087549F-9793-45CB-90C5-5D33E6349AAA.jpeg

Sartorial smells terrific.

They're on my short list, along with Artius Man's Spiced Latte oil and balm. I'm planning on shaving off the beard March 1st to get ready for Spring so haven't decided if I want to invest in more beard products now or wait until next Fall's beard. Recently started honing my own straights as well, I'm getting really smooth, comfortable throat shaves but I'm anxious to find out how well my edges perform in a full shave - minus the cookie duster, that's staying.

Spiced Latte sounds delicious.

Shaving the beard for summer? Blasphemy. JK.

I’ve shaved with a straight a few times but haven’t got the bug to go at it hard. Maybe that’s my next mountain to climb.

Cheers.

Love that comb! I'm a sucker for blonde horn, same as burled wood. I haven't tried Pen's Sartorial yet, I do wish they'd expand their Opus 1870 range though, it's easily one of my top three favorites.

Today I'm pairing GBS Pine oil and balm with PdP Original/Sage AS balm (another favorite).
IMG_0325.JPG

I was going to shave the beard tomorrow but I ordered two vintage straights early this morning (like 12:15am early) so I might wait until they're honed up and ready for bush hogging! :badger::badger:

Maclean3 -- Just wondering if the reason you shave your beard for the summer is to use your straight razors or for some other reason. I shaved mine once thinking that having a beard during the summer would be too hot. Plus I wanted to use my shaving brushes and straight razors again. However the following summer, I kept the beard and although I'll admit, I do miss using my straights, the thought of shaving my beard off now is not appealing. It was difficult enough to trim it back a year and a half ago from this length...
BB2 (2).jpg
to my present length...
SMBP.jpg

The only reason I trimmed it was because I was tired of all the negative and derogatory comments I put up with. At my current length, only get positive feedback. If you've never kept your beard over the summer, you might want to try it once -- unless the urge to use your straight razors is too great, which I can understand. Using a straight razor is a very cool thing, but so is having a beard. Good luck with whatever you decide! Just recently order some oil from GBS myself. Awesome scents, but the oil seems really thin -- at least compared to what I've been using.

Mostly because I miss shaving. I scored a VG condition 133 Red Imp for around half what I was willing to pay and a pre-Dovo, #2 Bismarck for a reasonable price. I really want to find out how good my honed edges are, throat only shaves have been smooth but that's the lightest part of my beard. This is the first time I've let it grow more than 3 weeks, I mostly wanted to see if I could even grow a full beard - it filled out fairly evenly. Figured out that I prefer a shorter beard though, 3/4" (#6 guide) seems to be about right for me - at 1" it was too bushy and and uncontrollable with my natural curl.

Last edited:
Mostly because I miss shaving. I scored a VG condition 133 Red Imp for around half what I was willing to pay and a pre-Dovo, #2 Bismarck for a reasonable price. I really want to find out how good my honed edges are, throat only shaves have been smooth but that's the lightest part of my beard. This is the first time I've let it grow more than 3 weeks, I mostly wanted to see if I could even grow a full beard - it filled out fairly evenly. Figured out that I prefer a shorter beard though, 3/4" (#6 guide) seems to be about right for me - at 1" it was too bushy and and uncontrollable with my natural curl.

Never mastered honing when I was straight razor shaving. Hope you had better success than what I did. I enjoyed having my bigger beard, but I agree with you that a shorter beard is easier to manage. I do miss the full shave experience, but just cannot part with my beard after having it this long.

I'm not an expert hone meister by any means, just recently bought my first coti and I'm still learning. To be honest I'm getting much better results than I expected this early on, it just takes me a while to get there. Honed the Red Imp last night and had my first shave this morning - I'm back to my old self, mustache only:
IMG_20180303_085252972.jpg IMG_20180303_103604106.jpg
It's thicker than it looks, the grey just disappears in certain light. This is how I've worn it since 1983.

Your current length is basically what I found most comfortable, just wish mine was that thick ... and dark! :wheelchair:

Last edited:
-- .... Just recently order some oil from GBS myself. Awesome scents, but the oil seems really thin -- at least compared to what I've been using.

If you like thicker oils try Artius Man. It's a little more expensive than GBS but very nice quality and a good range of scents.

I've seen their products in a few local stores and wondered if it was any good, the prices seem reasonable enough.

0E9D0E89-45B0-4C40-BF7F-AE6EBBC7E0B7.jpeg

Haven’t used this stuff in a while. The oil has very little scent to it and the conditioner smells like an Italian Barbershop. Great performance. Very soft feel and shine like no other. Cheers. And nice beards and stache’s gents.

View attachment 866564

Paired very nicely with Tallow + Steel 150 and Barrister and Mann Leviathan EdT. Great combo. Cheers.

Love this scent! Thanks for pointing it out, Mullen88. GF loves it as well. After trying it the first time, I told her to smell my beard. Her response was (in a harsh tone) "I'm not smelling your beard." I responded with, "just smell it". Then she said, "I have to say, that smells REALLY good!" So thanks again, Mullen88!

Last edited:
Love this scent! Thanks for pointing it out, Mullen88. GF loves it as well. After trying it the first time, I told her to smell my beard. Her response was (in a harsh tone) "I'm not smelling your beard." I responded with, "just smell it". Then she said, "I have to say, that smells REALLY good!" So thanks again, Mullen88!

Not a problem @carharttguy. I’m really glad the GF enjoys it, truly a great scent. That’s the best approval you can get. Cheers.

Top Bottom