What's new

Simpson Polo 8 vs 58... vs Colonel 2XL?

Which is Denser?

• Polo 8

Results are only viewable after voting.
Looking for a brush for bowl lathering with about a 24mm knot. For me density is most important; which is denser, the Polo 8 or the 58? Also lean towards lower lofts.

On top of that, I'm also wondering if whichever the winner is worth twice as much as the Colonel X2L. I know this question is one only I can answer, but would love to hear some opinions.

I have the 57 and Colonel. I believe the 58 is very similar to the Duke 3 but with a different handle that is a little better for bowl lathering. personally I don't see how the 58 or could be worth twice the price of a Colonel if cost is a consideration. The Colonel is simply the best value in a Simpsons brush that I know of (I have 10 Simpsons). I thought the Polo only came in super, but I could be wrong about that. I have two Simpsons brushes in super and see no advantage over the best badger hair, although others will have different opinions. Personally, I can recommend the 57 or Colonel without any hesitation.

Polo 8 will feel like a higher loft even if it’s close. Designed that way. Luxurious brush though.

Grade of hair?

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
The Polo 8 should be slightly denser than the 58 and both are way denser than the Colonel. All 3 brushes are great for bowl/scuttle lathering and all 3 are exceptional with both soaps and creams.

P.S. Whichever you decide between Polo 8 and 58, add a Colonel anyway! In that price point there is no better value for the money in Simpsons range!

The Polo 8 should be slightly denser than the 58 and both are way denser than the Colonel. All 3 brushes are great for bowl/scuttle lathering and all 3 are exceptional with both soaps and creams.

P.S. Whichever you decide between Polo 8 and 58, add a Colonel anyway! In that price point there is no better value for the money in Simpsons range!

Any brush that you think would be more dense than a Polo (except for a Chubby)?

If you desire a dense Simpson with a long handle the Polo should be your choice IMHO.

This makes me feel more confident with the choice I was leaning towards.

This will be my first Simpson in Best since my Berkeley I found to be a little too scritchy. Hoping that the taller loft and bigger knot will make for a softer knot. Also, I bought the Berkeley ~ 4 years ago from a vendor so it could've been 5+ years old. The Polo will be direct from Simpson.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
This makes me feel more confident with the choice I was leaning towards.

This will be my first Simpson in Best since my Berkeley I found to be a little too scritchy. Hoping that the taller loft and bigger knot will make for a softer knot. Also, I bought the Berkeley ~ 4 years ago from a vendor so it could've been 5+ years old. The Polo will be direct from Simpson.

There are a few lines that can be described as "iconic" in Simpsons range and the Polo is certainly one of them.

I'm mostly a face latherer of hard soaps and prefer short handles with dense knots, ie the Chubby and Duke Series. When I occasionally bowl lather soft creams I go for the Colonel, which is my only Simpson with a long handle.

All my brushes were hand selected by Mark himself according to my specs. He always did a superb job and am sure will do the same with yours. :)

Im only a little torn now between Super and Best. Leaning towards Best but for around $30 I can basically eliminate the risk of it being too scritchy. It would be pretty much just for bowl lathering so maybe that make any scritch less noticeable.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
Im only a little torn now between Super and Best. Leaning towards Best but for around $30 I can basically eliminate the risk of it being too scritchy. It would be pretty much just for bowl lathering so maybe that make any scritch less noticeable.
BUT... if you get best and it is scritchy then you will have to also get a super.

To stones with one bird.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy

Sir, both are excellent options. If you desire silky soft tips go for the Super, if you want soft tips with a bit of "feel" go for the Best. Honestly, I love both.

P.S. Most of my Simpsons are in Best and none of them is scritchy at all!

None of my Simpsons in best have any noticeable scritch. Some are more sensitive to scritch than others, but if you can get a super for $30 more, then go for it!

My favorite examples of Simpsons best overlap my examples of their super. However there is a bit less variation in the super IMO. If you can get super for an extra $30, then that would be a great option!

As a Colonel owner, the 58 was the next Simpson brush I was looking at, or the 57. Looking for a taller handle and a Best knot..

I'm not rational about the value of the Colonel so I don't know what twice that value would look like, but a great brush can come from any price point. Make no mistake though it is the smallest knot you're considering and that's why it's half the price.

If you get any of these in super, that will be the densest you're looking for in the poll.

Let us know what you end up with, personally I don't think you can make a bad choice.

I've decided what I really want is... an Astor

JK (unless anyone wants to sell me one), no it's the Polo 8 in Best. I have an M7 in Super so if I decide I can't live with the Best hair I can sell it and no need to replace it. Hopefully I do like it and it will provide some variation. Stay tuned for pics, though it is coming from Isle of Man so it may be a while.

Top Bottom