What's new

Why the job interviewing process sucks...

The most irritating interview question is "what is your greatest weakness?"
"My honesty."
"i don't think honesty is a weakness."
"i don't give a f*** what you think!"

T

I once went to a job-counselor who told me how he got HIS job ... when he entered the office of the interviewer, he noticed some sailboat paintings on the wall. Turns out, he also was passionate about sailing, and the two of them spent the next TWO HOURS talking about sailboats. They probably would have continued to talk about boats except it was closing time and the interviewer had to clock out. Not a word was said about his education or experience as a job-counselor. He got hired on the spot.

Something similar happened to me. The interview had gone so-so and was winding down. I noticed that the interviewer had a small Frederic Remington sculpture on his desk. I took a chance and asked him about it. We began talking about art which somehow led to a lengthy discussion about the Mexican artist Diego Rivera. When we ran out of time the interviewer thanked me and said that he enjoyed the interview. No interviewer had ever before told me that he 'enjoyed' the interview! I got the job.

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
One of my best interviews... about 10 mins in, I noticed a couple of photos of the interviewer and his son standing in front of fish boards. I remembered those boards from small fishing villages in Mexico that my wife and I had billfished at a few times. I asked, 'Is that one in San Carlos, and that one in Los Barrilles?' and the interview was over. We spent the next hour and a half talking about places we had fished around the world. He thanked me, we shook hands and that was it. I called my wife and said, I think that I go the job but I'm not sure. Yep, I got it.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Something similar happened to me. The interview had gone so-so and was winding down. I noticed that the interviewer had a small Frederic Remington sculpture on his desk. I took a chance and asked him about it. We began talking about art which somehow led to a lengthy discussion about the Mexican artist Diego Rivera. When we ran out of time the interviewer thanked me and said that he enjoyed the interview. No interviewer had ever before told me that he 'enjoyed' the interview! I got the job.

One of my best interviews... about 10 mins in, I noticed a couple of photos of the interviewer and his son standing in front of fish boards. I remembered those boards from small fishing villages in Mexico that my wife and I had billfished at a few times. I asked, 'Is that one in San Carlos, and that one in Los Barrilles?' and the interview was over. We spent the next hour and a half talking about places we had fished around the world. He thanked me, we shook hands and that was it. I called my wife and said, I think that I go the job but I'm not sure. Yep, I got it.

One of the biggest issues an interviewer has is trying to find someone who will "fit in" with the current crew of workers and management. Assuming he's going to be competent, he needs to fit in and get along with the group. By the time your resume got you into the interview, he had assumed you'd be generally competent enough to perform or at least learn the tasks of the job. That's why you got the interview.

In the interview, it became totally clear that you'd fit in just fine and be someone people could get along with. That's why you got the job.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
1. I've never worn a suit to a job interview. (I don't even own a suit)
2. I've always worn jeans and a nice button down shirt. Tucked in.
3. A couple times I've had a giant beard
4. I'm always honest
5. I always bring 2 resumes
6. I rarely have had questions when asked "Do you have any questions"
7. I can remember only 2 jobs I didn't get after an interview
8. I've had 9 different jobs

YMMV

#1) Went in and got application. I don't usually bring all the personal info, phone numbers, and addresses they require, so, I take the app home.
#2) Filled it out, went back about 2 hours later and dropped it off.
#3) At home about 90 minutes later the manager calls and wants me to come in for an interview.
#4) Had interview this morning, maybe 20 minutes long. 3 guys were across the table. Totally honest, jeans and nice shirt, tucked in. Not worried, laid back, relaxed, was myself. Owner offers me a job. Just the fact that the guy who referred me is who he is, the owner says I must be worthwhile. Told him I'd like to think about it over the weekend.
Think I'm gonna take it.

My most recent interview was a lot of fun. It got to the point where she asked me if I had questions. My first one out of the gate stumped her. This was a sales job and so I asked: what is your sales philosophy? People often know what they're selling, how much they have to sell and who they're trying to sell to, but they rarely know why they're selling. In my book it's more important than any of the other answers.

I interview plenty of people. Some of my tips:

• Look presentable
  • Make eye contact
  • Know the job description
  • Know how your experience lines up (or could line up) with the job requirements
  • Be honest about what you know and don't know
  • Take notes
  • Have thoughtful questions ready
  • Don't ask about vacation time or pay rate
  • If you're called back for a second interview, do some research about the things you didn't know

Flashback: It was 2009, I think, and I was looking to fill a slot for a professional position. Master's degree, 3 or more years of experience.

The economy was in the toilet, the market, also. Probably received 45 applications. One was from a woman who retired a couple years before. The cover letter began something like this: "I never expected to be job hunting at this point in my life, but my 401k has lost much of it's value, so I am applying for_____."

No soup for her.

Flashback: It was 2009, I think, and I was looking to fill a slot for a professional position. Master's degree, 3 or more years of experience.

The economy was in the toilet, the market, also. Probably received 45 applications. One was from a woman who retired a couple years before. The cover letter began something like this: "I never expected to be job hunting at this point in my life, but my 401k has lost much of it's value, so I am applying for_____."

No soup for her.

You give soup out at interviews? I want to apply!

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I interview plenty of people. Some of my tips:

• Look presentable
  • Make eye contact
  • Know the job description
  • Know how your experience lines up (or could line up) with the job requirements
  • Be honest about what you know and don't know
  • Take notes
  • Have thoughtful questions ready
  • Don't ask about vacation time or pay rate
  • If you're called back for a second interview, do some research about the things you didn't know
And be freshly shaven :)

Top Bottom