What's new

Me? Powerlifting?

I'm 58 and reasonably fit from cycling (mountain and road) and more recently almost a year of a ketogenic diet.

Last month, just for S&G I signed up for ‘Intro Powerlifting’ at the local Y. I’ve messed around with weights a few times, but never for more than a couple of weeks and never with any plan or purpose. Tonight was the final class of this session, and I deadlifted 275lbs!! I know that's not a huge number, but for a 58-yr-old novice, I’m pretty impressed with myself.

Congratulations! Keep at the weights! As a former powerlifting competitor, your lifting at that age, with all respect, is inspirational. It’s addictive and those personal bests are incredibly satisfying. Lift with good form, and take care!

Congratulations! Keep at the weights! As a former powerlifting competitor, your lifting at that age, with all respect, is inspirational. It’s addictive and those personal bests are incredibly satisfying. Lift with good form, and take care!
Thanks, man. It feels pretty good for sure. The instructors are really strict on good form.

I just heard the author discussing that book on the Starting Strength podcast yesterday; I'll definitely get a copy. Thanks!

That's good to hear. I'm 76 and workout with weights three times a week. It is always a good feeling when you meet a goal. Congratulations.

That's good to hear. I'm 76 and workout with weights three times a week. It is always a good feeling when you meet a goal. Congratulations.
That’s awesome ackvil! Have you been lifting long, or did you pick it up later in life?

And I squatted 215lbs tonight!
Great.

I started in my 40s. At that time I was a smoker and in terrible shape. I started jogging and being a compulsive person, started working out. I have worked out since. Unfortunately, my knees don’t allow me to do full squats but I do 4 sets of hack squats topping off at 200 pounds with four reps.

I work out with a man who is 82 years old who looks like a 60 y old. He works out 6 days a week- mostly light workouts.

Colour me impressed! I can honestly say I've never met anyone your age that's taken fitness this seriously... in a light-hearted S&G sort of way. :) I'm inspired!
I started in my 40s. At that time I was a smoker and in terrible shape.
I'm at the beginning of that journey, 41, gave up cigarettes a couple of years back, getting cycle fit slowly, lost about 13kg (~29lb) in the last few months. Still have about 17kg (~38lb) to go.

I'm definitely breaking out the free weights over the weekend and I've got a short corporate triathlon next weekend. I was a weigh lifter many years ago and I remember squatting well over 200kg (440lb), but I'd probably struggle with 215lb now. :001_unsur

Great.

I started in my 40s. At that time I was a smoker and in terrible shape. I started jogging and being a compulsive person, started working out. I have worked out since. Unfortunately, my knees don’t allow me to do full squats but I do 4 sets of hack squats topping off at 200 pounds with four reps.

I work out with a man who is 82 years old who looks like a 60 y old. He works out 6 days a week- mostly light workouts.
That’s some impressive weight, good work! And great job sticking with it

Colour me impressed! I can honestly say I've never met anyone your age that's taken fitness this seriously... in a light-hearted S&G sort of way. :) I'm inspired!

I'm at the beginning of that journey, 41, gave up cigarettes a couple of years back, getting cycle fit slowly, lost about 13kg (~29lb) in the last few months. Still have about 17kg (~38lb) to go.

Quite a few B&B guys have had success losing weight and improving health with a ketogenic diet. Check out the thread ‘Don’s Ketogenic...’ here in the clubhouse.

Mr. Sinker,

I am super impressed! A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away...I used to squat a ton of weight (almost 600 pounds), but I was never really able to deadlift more than 200 pounds or so. And that was when I was in my prime. Congrats on the personal record!

Quite a few B&B guys have had success losing weight and improving health with a ketogenic diet. Check out the thread ‘Don’s Ketogenic...’ here in the clubhouse.

Thanks for the plug!

Respectable numbers, what's your tipple look like? At 48 I'm doing 455/365/275 DL/S/B @165, which isn't amazing but it always keeps me grinding for more. Don't worry too much about age, I've seen a 83 yo guy deadlifting 450 @ 150lb bodyweight! Just keep moving forward but make sure you pay attention to your warm up, including mobility work. Check out the DeFranco Agile 8 for joint mobility that you can do daily.

Keep up the good work!

Respectable numbers, what's your tipple look like? At 48 I'm doing 455/365/275 DL/S/B @165, which isn't amazing but it always keeps me grinding for more. Don't worry too much about age, I've seen a 83 yo guy deadlifting 450 @ 150lb bodyweight! Just keep moving forward but make sure you pay attention to your warm up, including mobility work. Check out the DeFranco Agile 8 for joint mobility that you can do daily.

Keep up the good work!
Wow, those are huge numbers, I'm nowhere near that. So far I've deadlifted 275 and squatted 215. My bench is ridiculously low due to a shoulder injury. I'm at 185lbs right now (down about 30 in the past year on a keto diet).

Wow, those are huge numbers, I'm nowhere near that. So far I've deadlifted 275 and squatted 215. My bench is ridiculously low due to a shoulder injury. I'm at 185lbs right now (down about 30 in the past year on a keto diet).

Congrats on the weight loss, looks like you are hitting on all cylinders right now. You might want to check out the Sling Shot, by Mark Bell, for your bench. A lot of people with shoulder injuries find that it really helps with the lifting because it keeps your form under control and reduces the stress.

You can find the Sling Shot at Mark Bell Powerlifting Official Online Store | Mark Bell and note that you will only need the blue model since you aren't benching a lot.

I'm 6'5" and I weigh 265 (maybe that's why I'm Big Rick) and I do weights 4 times a week. I work with a personal trainer. I don't want to get too much bigger! Lollll My son is 6'2" and he weighs 200. He's only into cardio.

Rick

Top Bottom