What's new

The Amazing Aristocrat: My holy Grail!

Many people feel the Aristocrat is too mild or too bulky. It's pretty much an acquired taste.

My 'crat feels just fine in the hand; I'm comparing this to a Merkur Futur and Vision, the latter being a good shaver but simply outsized for my hand. (Just got hold of a Parker Variant today...will be interesting to see how that compares in terms of balance, since it is noticeably heavier than the 'crat.)

Hi,

The problem with just saying Aristocrat, is there were at least a dozen different ones from the Old Type to the Slim Adjustable. The photos only narrow it down just a little bit for me. I can see it isn't an Old Type, nor an Adjustable, and a Safety Bar variant. But, I can't tell just which series nor if it is a US or a British.

There are just too danged many versions of razors using the Aristocrat name!

The only version I happen to have is a 1934 Open Comb TTO, and it is pretty much the least effective razor I have. Pretty, though, and will come out to play a little during OCtober.

You should have seen the gyrations I went thru trying to figure out how to tell a 34 from a 36. I wanted to try the very first TTO Gillette, so that was important. For those that want to know, the 34 has hinge pins and the 36 has rivets.....there is a lower head on the 34, but that is hard to see in photos. The hinge pins show right up, though.

Stan
Which is a better razor in terms of shave. The aristocrat 1934 or 1936. I would love to buy it if it's below 100$ if I find it at an antique store or on Bst . Maybe even eBay.

My wife recently bought me a 46/47 Aristocrat as an anniversary present. Despite some worn plating it's a beautiful razor. I love the weight, the look and grip of the knurling. A truly timeless razor

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
All my Aristocrats are the 48-50 version and one '51 version. The first was my dad's Aristocrat he got after returning from WW2 but then a couple I picked up over the last half century. They are all in good shape but two, my Dad's and the boxed 1951 are very near mint.

Dad's Aristocrat:
proxy.php

I have the 1948 Aristocrat. My daily razor. On occasion I use my 1960 Gillette Super Slim Flare.
Cannot beat those vintage razors.
Congtrats

I have one of the '48-'50 Aristocrats that I bought some years ago. It was/is in very good original condition with some plating wear on the knurling and edge where it contacts your face. I wish I could remember where and from whom I bought it but it was only about $25. It's one of my four vintage razors and used in regular rotation. I also have (IIRC) a 50's era Super Speed at my other house. Also have two ball end Techs, one gold and one silver. They remain my favorite razors.

I purchased a '48-'50 Aristocrat on the 'bay earlier this week. She's cleaned and ready to go for tomorrow's shave. Just by reading this thread alone, I can't wait!

I also just picked up a '47 Aristocrat on the BST to add to my '48 Crat. Also picked up a 1957 C-2 Flare Tip on the BST.
I use my 1960 Gillette Flare for travel. My long handle 3-piece EJ does not get a lot of action. The vintages are a much better shave!
Congrats on the razor.
Mikey

I also just picked up a '47 Aristocrat on the BST to add to my '48 Crat. Also picked up a 1957 C-2 Flare Tip on the BST.
I use my 1960 Gillette Flare for travel. My long handle 3-piece EJ does not get a lot of action. The vintages are a much better shave!
Congrats on the razor.
Mikey
They certainly are for me. In fact I have a '47 getting serviced, but not re-plated at this time. It's most definitely going to be a user.
BTW, CAP is doing the 47 'Crat and it was kinda gunky on the inside. 71 years of service won't leave the insides that clean...

They certainly are for me. In fact I have a '47 getting serviced, but not re-plated at this time. It's most definitely going to be a user.
BTW, CAP is doing the 47 'Crat and it was kinda gunky on the inside. 71 years of service won't leave the insides that clean...
My Crats were pristine when I got them. very lucky, no service need except to sterilize.

Funny this thread popped up! I was just talking to a couple of members and I mentioned I was going to do a shave comparison between my 1934 Aristocrat and my British #15. My US 36 is being replated and gun coated or I would have liked to compare the US 34 and US 36 but the 36 won't be back for a while so the #15 will have to do as I want both razor to have open combs. Got some other Crats in the den but these are the two I picked for the shave off.
Love my Crats!

This thread and a couple of other threads and sites led me to making a "few" Aristocrat purchases. Holy Grail was/is a good search term for a newby.

Funny this thread popped up! I was just talking to a couple of members and I mentioned I was going to do a shave comparison between my 1934 Aristocrat and my British #15. My US 36 is being replated and gun coated or I would have liked to compare the US 34 and US 36 but the 36 won't be back for a while so the #15 will have to do as I want both razor to have open combs. Got some other Crats in the den but these are the two I picked for the shave off.
Love my Crats!
The 1936 US would be a closer match to the #15. The 1934 is fairly mild for an Open Comb, but very smooth. The 1936 steps up to “moderately aggressive”, and the #15 is firmly in the moderately aggressive camp.

Here’s a funny thing though. I’ve got 3 first gen British Open Comb Aristocrats, 2 #15’s, and a wingless sterling pre-15. They all shave distinctly different. I think I remember @tonich saying something above a guy that went through 20 or so before he found the one he liked. So YRMV. (Your Razor May Vary)

I do kinda like the Aristocrat.
BF8E08F7-08F0-49E9-B0F3-4CB3493554B8.jpeg

The 1936 US would be a closer match to the #15. The 1934 is fairly mild for an Open Comb, but very smooth. The 1936 steps up to “moderately aggressive”, and the #15 is firmly in the moderately aggressive camp.

Here’s a funny thing though. I’ve got 3 first gen British Open Comb Aristocrats, 2 #15’s, and a wingless sterling pre-15. They all shave distinctly different. I think I remember @tonich saying something above a guy that went through 20 or so before he found the one he liked. So YRMV. (Your Razor May Vary)

I do kinda like the Aristocrat.
View attachment 861370
Hi Mark
I know you like your Aristocrats like I do and that collection seems to be growing. I could use my 16 or 22. Would they be better to compare to the #15?

Hi Mark
I know you like your Aristocrats like I do and that collection seems to be growing. I could use my 16 or 22. Would they be better to compare to the #15?

No, I like the idea of a US/UK death match better. Besides, those are safety bar models. Not quite the same. The 1934 is a fine razor, and I generally use one quite often. But it’s a different style of shave. The 1936 is closer in aggressiveness. Maybe a better idea is to put the #15 up against a modern open comb. Say the Charcoal Goods level 2.

No, I like the idea of a US/UK death match better. Besides, those are safety bar models. Not quite the same. The 1934 is a fine razor, and I generally use one quite often. But it’s a different style of shave. The 1936 is closer in aggressiveness. Maybe a better idea is to put the #15 up against a modern open comb. Say the Charcoal Goods level 2.
I like that idea to but I think I still like the original US/UK match better only cause I wanted only Aristocrats in the match up.
Hey shoot me a call over the weekend.
:a17:

I like that idea to but I think I still like the original US/UK match better only cause I wanted only Aristocrats in the match up.
Hey shoot me a call over the weekend.
:a17:
Will do. I can send you a user grade 1936. It’s got a lazy door, worn plating, one eye and walks with a limp, but shaves like a damn. Yours is going to end up a shelf queen, and for good reason.

Top Bottom