What's new

Critique my 2 pass shave (pictures)

Is this good enough to be presentable at the Office?

• Yes

Votes: 11 52.4%
  • No

Votes: 10 47.6%

• Total voters
Todays shave felt smooth and I thought initially that it was an awesome close shave but under the "professional lighting" it reveals some stubble that got left behind. This is a 2 pass shave with cleanup (only 1 pass on the neck)

What do you think it causing these little spots that get left behind? Am I not maintaining the proper angle on that part? I went really, really slow today and applied almost zero pressure, the lightest touch possible. This is day 2 of the same Astra SP blade from yesterday

To the other member's point, the brush doesn't create the lather, you do.

Blaming the brush when you don't want to change your routine is not the brush's fault. It's an inanimate object that is simply meant to mix soap and water.

If the badger is working for you, then that is perfect; you don't need to worry that your routine doesn't work with the synthetic.

Perhaps if you wait some time though and then go back to the synthetic, you'll find you do enjoy it.

Here's a couple of shots of the lather I got with TOBS Sandalwood from the Great Sandalwood shaveoff:

The Sandalwood Shaveoff
The Sandalwood Shaveoff
Wow, that is impressive, looks as thick as mousse coming out of a can. I love TOBS.

If I may ask, how long strokes do you do with the razor? short quick strokes or long?
I was doing mostly long strokes and then quick strokes during touch ups on the mustache, chin and goatee area

I was responding to an earlier post when you said you were planning on doing only 2 passes since 3rd pass is diminishing returns. Sounds from your reply like you moved away from that idea.

To clarify: I am suggesting doing a third pass with or across the grain rather than stopping at 2 passes. If you are shaving at a good angle and no pressure this should be pretty irritation free. The razor should smoothly glide across your face. If not then I'd keep working at it until you can do it smoothly with no irritation. This obviously wont get you nearly as close as ATG but will be closer than stopping at 2 passes and good practice for your technique. Once you are able to do that I'd suggest adding against the grain on the third pass.
I am certainly working up to that. Todays good shave was probably the equivalent of 3 pass because on the tocuh ups I really kept scraping until I could no longer feel the roughness. But the proraso lather was so tick and creamy that I couldnt feel some of the stubble underneath and did not see it until I had rinsed my face. Also in my bathroom it has a "yellow" light bulb and only under a white flurescent bulb can I see those unsightly stubble that you can see in the photos that I post since I post them using a professional studio light

To quote @UncleMonkey
"Someone might swear by using bat guano"
I don't know how he discovered my secret ingredient, but now I'll have to change my formula again.. Drat!

@Vineeze
Where, out of curiosity, are you?
Anywhere near a large city with access to some good barber shops that do shaves?
Yes I have an old timey barbershop not too far from here and I had them cut me a "pencil thin" beard and goatee once with a straight razor. Even the professional barber gave me some razor burn and a couple of nicks because he started shaving the adams apple area ATG (Which my skin is not accustomed to)

I forgot to mention on todays photos that I went ATG on the sideburns and cheeks area. I mean FULL ATG vertical on the entire face except for the entire goatee area, chin and neck

Parker 22r
Astra SP blade on day 2 of usage
Proraso Hard green puck
Badger brush that came with my Van Der Hagen set (A $15 brush)
Ice water shave with ice cubes, towel pressed to face 3 times
Witch Hazel from Family Dollar
Finished with my normal moisturizer (Eucerin Daily Hydration for Dry Skin)
Todays cologne is Ferrari Scuderia Extreme

Last edited:
I am certainly working up to that. Todays good shave was probably the equivalent of 3 pass because on the tocuh ups I really kept scraping until I could no longer feel the roughness. But the proraso lather was so tick and creamy that I couldnt feel some of the stubble underneath and did not see it until I had rinsed my face. Also in my bathroom it has a "yellow" light bulb and only under a white flurescent bulb can I see those unsightly stubble that you can see in the photos that I post since I post them using a professional studio light

In between passes, use your fingers to feel where your stubble is to help you get that stuff.

Todays shave felt smooth and I thought initially that it was an awesome close shave but under the "professional lighting" it reveals some stubble that got left behind. This is a 2 pass shave with cleanup (only 1 pass on the neck)

What do you think it causing these little spots that get left behind? Am I not maintaining the proper angle on that part? I went really, really slow today and applied almost zero pressure, the lightest touch possible. This is day 2 of the same Astra SP blade from yesterday

Still looks like a fine job. Just do a little touch up and you’re good to go!

You have a dark, heavy beard. I wonder what the pictures would look like if you got a true BBS. I think you'd still have that shadow...

Thanks again for all the advice you guys have given me so far. I was about to buy an expensive agressive razor thinking that the problem was that my razor was "too mild". But its not the razor, its my lack of technique and using the wrong angle. Truth is that if I bought a Muhle R41 I would probably shred my face to ribbons if I apply the same wrong angles.

I better hone my technique to get a close shave with this mild Parker 22R and master that razor before looking to a face peeler like the R41. I have enough rope already to hang myself as it is.

@mars I think you make a very good point. I do have a very dark and thick beard like that wrestler from WWE (I forget his name)

upload link direct

Honestly, I've never found the R41 (2013 type) to be this Beast that everyone jokes about. As long as you ride the cap (shallow angle) or use a very controlled steep angle, it is a very smooth and easy shave. It's genuinely my preferred razor. I would love to see a knock off Chinese version in cast bronze.

Thanks again for all the advice you guys have given me so far. I was about to buy an expensive agressive razor thinking that the problem was that my razor was "too mild". But its not the razor, its my lack of technique and using the wrong angle. Truth is that if I bought a Muhle R41 I would probably shred my face to ribbons if I apply the same wrong angles.

I better hone my technique to get a close shave with this mild Parker 22R and master that razor before looking to a face peeler like the R41. I have enough rope already to hang myself as it is.

@mars I think you make a very good point. I do have a very dark and thick beard like that wrestler from WWE (I forget his name)

upload link direct

@Vineeze
Now you've got it figured out.. Changing a couple of things in the beginning (blades or soap) can be a good thing since some blades don't agree with all faces (me and Derby, for example) but too many changes like razors and brushes will only confuse and frustrate you.
Take the time to try a couple of blades and, if you have two razors, use only one of them consistently for at least two weeks but better a month. Likewise, stay with one brush and one soap. You can, however, change aftershaves... :001_rolle
While you're working on your technique with the razor, also work on a good macho expression like the guy in the picture... always good to have a backup plan in case someone criticizes your shave. :clap::clap:

Oh that is before I shaved. Just to demonstrate how thick and fast my beard grows in only 24 hours. Basically I cant really go 48 hours between shaves

Here is todays shave I did 1 pass TOTAL. I jumped directly into sideways on the cheeks then diagonal on the mustache and WTG on the neck and goatee area.

Then clean-up. It was an experiment to see what I can accomplish with 1 pass + cleanup. I think I can dispense with the preliminary North to South except on the neck area of course. I think that the fewer passes, the less irritation.

This is with same Astra SP that I think is on Day 3 and Parker 22R with Proraso red hard puck (Just got that one in the mail). The sandlewood scent is far inferior to the scent of TOBS sandlewood. But I find Proraso to be the best bang for the dollar. 5.2 oz for only $7.50 on eBay shipped. And the tub is basically immortal, it never runs out no matter how many shaves it seems to me. I have barely put a dent in the green tub of Proraso, Definately it stretches alot farther than the tub of TOBS

Last edited:
A bit more patchy than your previous shaves, definitely some missed spots. Bravo for being willing to experiment! Kudos!

A bit more patchy than your previous shaves, definitely some missed spots. Bravo for being willing to experiment! Kudos!

Yes, I was inspired by this guys video below. He really makes a convincing argument for 1 pass + cleanup versus the traditional 3 pass. I recommend everyone to watch the short video.

Yeah. That’s not a very close shave but it’s better than visible irritation, cuts or ingrowns. Again, I’d be interested to know what a BBS looks like for you. It may not look much different

Yeah. That’s not a very close shave but it’s better than visible irritation, cuts or ingrowns. Again, I’d be interested to know what a BBS looks like for you. It may not look much different
Yeah, i think you are probably right about that.

I had a bad shave today. Nicked myself on the chin and significant razor burn on the sideburns and throat.

Today was my very first time using Personna Lab Blues. That is the only variable other than the fact that I finished the shave with 50% witch hazel + 50% rose water concoction. I know the lathering was spot-on.

I am not ready to demonize the Personna's quite yet, I will try them in another razor. Probably foolish of me to buy 100 of a blade I have never tried but the way it works is that to get a small pack would be like $6 so I figured may as well spend $11 for 100 instead of only 25

I heard nick shaves on YouTube singing the praises for Personna Blue. Oh well. I also ordered 100 PolSilver and 100 Vokshod without ever having tried them.

Hmmm, the pictures do not show it but I had alot of pink skin irritation on my sideburns that I shaved ATG and on the bottom-most part of the neck.

Top Bottom